1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

AL: Dog fighters to pay largest restitution in federal history

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Dog fighters to pay largest restitution in federal history
    Posted: Jan 21, 2015 2:39 PM EST Updated: Jan 21, 2015 2:40 PM EST

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - The individuals who pleaded guilty to the second largest dog fighting raid in U.S. history are being ordered to pay the largest restitution ever recorded in a federal dog fighting case.

During the hearings, which were held on Friday, U.S. District Judge Keith Watkins ordered the defendants to collectively responsible for paying a restitution in the amount of $1.98 million to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the Humane Society of the United States. Both organizations assisted in the removal, transport, treatment, sheltering and care of the more than 400 animals seized during the raid.

A multi-agency investigation led to the arrests of 12 people from Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Texas, 10 of them indicted for violations of the federal dog fighting statute and the federal gambling statute. The organizations estimated that they collectively spent around $5.5 million on the case alone.

“These dog fighters abused, starved and killed their dogs for the supposed ‘fun' of watching and gambling on a dog fight,” stated U.S. Attorney George L. Beck. “We would like to thank the HSUS and the ASPCA for taking care of these sick, wounded and abused dogs for such an extended period of time. Because the HSUS and the ASPCA took such care of these dogs, many were able to be placed in rescues or homes, where they are now safe from the horrible lives they previously had to endure.”

“Once again, the court sent a serious message to dog fighters about the true cost of their crime,” said Chris Schindler, manager of animal fighting investigations for The HSUS, who testified at the hearings. “The dogs rescued in this case suffered physically and emotionally and required untold hours of medical care and enrichment with professional staff. The individuals who treated them so poorly should be held responsible.”

Dog fighters to pay largest restitution in federal history - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

2. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

$2 million in restitution ordered in dogfighting cases

Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:05 pm

A total of $1,987,411.95 in restitution has been ordered in connection with what is believed to be the second largest dogfighting raid in the United States.

Restitution hearings in front of U.S. District Judge William Keith Watkins concluded recently.

The raids, which occurred in August of 2013, spanned throughout the Wiregrass, Georgia, Mississippi and other places.

The restitution will be allocated between the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and The Humane Society of the United States, according to a written release. The ASPCA estimates the two entities spent between $5.5 million on the case.

“These dog fighters abused, starved and killed their dogs for the supposed ‘fun’ of watching and gambling on a dog fight,” U.S Attorney George Beck said in the release.

In August of 2013, the FBI seized hundreds of dogs in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. Federal and local officials also seized firearms and drugs, as well as more than $500,000 in cash from dog fighting gambling activities.

The case was investigated by the Auburn Police Division and the Federal Bureau of Investigation with assistance from the following agencies: Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board; Coffee County Sheriff’s Office; Alabama State Troopers; Lee County District Attorney’s Office; Alabama Department of Public Safety; Bainbridge; Georgia Department of Public Safety; Georgia Bureau of Investigation; Echols County Sheriff’s Office; United States Marshals Service; Lee County Sheriff’s Office; Houston County Sheriff’s Office; Opelika Police Department; Georgia Highway Patrol; Georgia Bureau of Investigation; Mississippi Bureau of Investigation; Drug Enforcement Administration in Pensacola, Fla. and Columbus, Ga.; and Taylor Crossing Animal Hospital.

Dog fighting is a felony in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

$2 million in restitution ordered in dogfighting cases - Dothan Eagle: Crime Court

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Damn, that's a lot of money to be paid.

4. ragedog10

ragedog10 Top Dog

All about the money. No one would own dogs or any animals for that matter if it cost as much as these AR group's say! Years ago a buddy dog was in pound for a week cost $1,500 dog came home sickly with kennel cough. It would be nice if there was a investigation into why they say it costs so much?! They feed cheap feed and spray runs with a power hose. Its a huge $$$ game donations and the high prices to get your dog back. If it cost $1500 a week to own a dog don't think anyone would own them. Food for thought. Yis Ole Man

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I agree, rage, I'd love to see their break down of expenses they claim. Would be laughable!

6. david63

david63 CH Dog

ITs nothing but a slush fund for the county run dog pound,

7. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...lets have a collection for their fine...send all moneys to me......we should have it by say....mmmmm....3012....can never get over the figures that pop up in court cases across ur side of the pond....lol....

8. david63

david63 CH Dog

I don't know where the figures come from either and I live here.

9. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

......monopoly...money....how the f k they think there gonna get something like that..will the tax-payer have to pay it...

10. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Let's say they did actually spend 5.5 million on the case. And that just thus far.
    If I look at it from the federal congress' angle it doesn't make much sense.

congress: hey spca how its going?
    spca: Good man! just put 12 guys in jail!
    congress: Awesome! how much did that set me back?
    spca: 5.5 mill
    congress: Holy fukn shit!! In this economy?!!! Jesus!! Well atleast those drug lords are off the streets.
    spca: ummm not drug lords sir
    congress: ok......Most wanted listees?
    spca: nope
    congress: murderers?
    spca: not exactly sir
    congress:rapist, pedifiles, bank robbers, meth lab scientists, hackers!!! Who for shit sakes!!
    spca: (big smile on face with chest poked out) DOG FIGHTERS SIR!
    congress: (face red)Dog fighters? we spent 5.5 million fn dollars on 12 people for dog fighting!!!!
    spca: yes but once they pay a 2 million dollar fine back we will only be 3.5 in the whole!
    congress: don't we have to put them in jail also?
    spca: yes sir
    congress: so how are they supposed to come up with the money genius!
    spca:..........................
    congress:...........................................
    spca:...........................
    congress:.........................................(gun to head) WE'RE FUKD!

11. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

LOL.... All kidding a side I know dog fighting is illegal but a little perspective would go a long way. Priorities man priorities!

12. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

If I had 5.5 million to take care of dogs I'm sure I could house more, in better conditions and keep in better health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

$1500 per week for room and board is bogus. You either have false or incomplete info rage. You can board a dog for 30-50/day in LA. I can stay at the Ritz Carlton or Langham for 200/day ffs lol and still be cheaper.

14. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

somebody forgot to tell them that we are Pitbull people and WE DON'T PAY!!!!!