1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog fight

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dragonpit, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

Last night I went outside for a walk alone (for 15 mins) right when I come home my brother comes running out of the house sayin come inside fast their fighting!!! I was confused I have two dogs in my bedroom and another two in my living room and a couple doors seperate them, but I run inside and I see my buckskin rumbling with my brindle and other brindle 2 on 1, it was really 1-1 my bigger brindle and the buckskin really holding on each other with the other one trying to get a hold. I run in 10 sec later have them all seperated and a lot of blood and swelling is what I see. At this time I'd like to say i'm not a dog fighter hence they were paired up and were fine that way. after seperating them I ask my brother what happened he said "they were barking too loud so I went into the room and he just ran out (the buckskin) and they immediatly started to fight" note: my brother has never handled ANY kind of dog let alone a true pit dog, so what prompted him to go into the room? he never did that before, and they started to bark becaues he was outside the window doing some stupid in the first place so he doesn't say something through the window- and then couldn't seperate them for around ten min. After I asked what happened he told me I was stupid for going outside and where was I???? what, not what his response should of been! I thought of rightiously killin his azz right there on the spot for making a mistake in the first place and then not owning up to it! but instead i said get the bleep out of here and attended to the dogs in need, thou I couldn't do much,

My Question - buckskin has his ears cropped and the left ear now is at 3 or 9 o'clock depending how you look at him it's sideways though and the rest of his face is kind of hanging too like alot of swelling and maybe some leakage his ears swollen alot, the other has ear problems too and some other bites on forearms and hind legs, I don't want to take them to the vets cuz I don't think they will react nicely, is thier some kind of antibiotics or meds I should give and where do I get it? If it gets worse then I guess i'll have to take him to the vets but I rather wouldn't. They eat barf and get some vertex, I just upped the vertex for the added nutrition what else should I do? need help fast!

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

You had 4 dogs in a house with 2 together.Don't know how you already hadn't had a fight out of that.Anyway if you know a vet that 'understands' APBTs would be great,if not take the time to get to know one.I have no idea how bad the dogs are hurt but if they're only cut up a little with nothing broken Penicillion shots would be what I'd try if it was minor and I just absolutely didn't want to go to a vet.If something is seriously wrong,get to a vet ASAP But I'm not a vet,so my advice may be worth what it costs-nothing LOL I'd also invest in this
    NiteLite - Hog Dog Staple Gun

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  3. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

it's never a good idea to have that many apbt's in a house at one time. they can chew through doors. that being said, if you don't have a staple gun handy, super glue works good. leave a little drainage whole at the bottom of the wound. give penicillin shots and if you can get ahold of some magic formula, that'll help so there'll be minimal scarring. accidents happen, the best thing to do is prevent them from happening again. and yes you should find a vet that is understanding to accidents. above all keep those wounds clean!!! make sure you thouroughly clean the dogs often. betadine is good for the initial cleaning. you don't want to miss one, then infection sets in and it goes downhill from there. try to make this a learning lesson. this breed wasn't made to be kept in the house together.

4. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

By your description you need antibiotics , either cephalexin or amoxcillin will do the job, you can get these at most feed stores, you dont need a prescription, just tell them you need them for your fish, for a pitbull 250mg tablets will do , I would start with 3 tablets to take care of most bacteria, then , give 2 tablets every 12hrs, even though, they will be with antibiotic, make sure to clean and flush the wounds every day, a mixture of water and soap is what i have used and worked fine. Hope you learned your lesson, never leave 2 pitbulls unnatended in the future.

5. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I honestly do not know where to begin.

Myself I would not hesitate bringing my dog to the vet. Shit happens, and people have loose dogs running around all the time....most vets are aware of this and you would not be the first person to bring your dog to the vet after an altercation.

This to me sounds like you brought this on yourself, I am with Gh32 and am quite suprised with the description of your housing set up that this has not happened already. Who watches the other 2 dogs that are behind the door when your not in the room with them ? Now ask yourself why do you seperate them in the first place ? Could it be because of inccidents such as this as to why you seperate them ? So why would you trust the other 2 not to engage in the same activites when left unattended ? Also why would you leave your dogs in the care of someone who is not familiar with the breed ?

And people wonder whats wrong with the breed, if you set the stage for them to fail expect this to happen again. In the future I would suggest not leaving the dogs in the care of someone who is not acustom to handling bulldawgs.

Bring your dog to the vet and hopefully you will learn from this.

6. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

The first thing that I was told when I got this breed was never trust them not to fight. Pitbull 101.. You need to evaluate the way you do things dog related in the house, or you will run the risk of another accident. Becareful

Nell_Bell likes this.
  7. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Super Glue as amazing,next thing to duct tape.The hospital used super glue on me after I had a gall bladder surgery.

8. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

I was told it is wiser to go to the vet after these accidents. If you have a regular vet you use all the time, it will provide documentation that it was an accident and that you provide adequate care should it ever come into question as long as you don't keep having accidents. CRATE, TRIPLE check each one and roatate. No dog should be loose in the house with out a knowledgable person present in case one escapes their crate, then at least there won't be another one loose for it to tangle with. If you have 4 dogs in the house, 4 dogs should be in their separate crates when you leave. If I go to the bathroom, the pit goes in her crate or joins me in the crapper. Mine ate through a door just out of boredom once. JMO

9. velli2008

velli2008 Big Dog

absolutely take them to the vet. if you have nothing to hide,why hesitate? You NEVER assume that b/c 2 dogs of this caliber have been together since they were young or whatever, that they will not fight. At some point,it's more than likely going to happen.

10. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I could see the worry in going to a vet if you didn't know them,alot of people think all APBT owners are dogfighters.Irrational but that's the way alot of people think.You never know if your going to be dealing with one of these kind of people.You just need to get to know a regular vet that'll handle stuff like this,my vet ain't the best but he's known me my whole life and I could bring anything to him,no worries.Plus he likes bulldogs,which helps.But in the future I definetly would keep the dogs apart,a door isn't anything to a determined bulldog.I had a boston terrier chew through a 2x4 once so what could a APBT do.

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

in the same breath you not only state that your brother has next to no experience w/ the breed, but then ya wanna kill him when HE cant seperate YOUR dogs? this whole arrangement screams of inexperience. im not gonna say anything other than that.:cool:

12. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Go to the vet. I have a friend that got home from work to find her 2 females she always left together had been in a big fight. We told her she was crazy for putting them together. Long story short, she didn't think it was that bad and put one female in the bathroom and planned to clean her up in the morning. By morning she was cold to the touch. Rushed her to the vet where she died within a hour or so from loss of blood or whatever. She didn't have a necropsy done.
    I have a vet tech friend in Ohio. What part are you in?

13. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

Go to the vet, it's that simple. If you don't know how to properly care for and treat wounds or anything about antibiotics, go to the vet.

They won't think anything is up, especially if you haven't been in a lot for similar problems. I have worked for numerous vet offices and not once have I heard anyone assume someone to be a dog fighter because of a single dog fight...they understand sh*t happens...as long as it doesn't keep repeating itself, because even if accidental it can be considered negligence.

14. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

i never thought of duct tape. i guess i should've though since it is my opinion duct tape fixes everything. super glue also helps to leave less of a scar. my daughter busted her eyebrow open when she first started walking and the doctor used something like super glue. he said it would leave less of a scar than stitches. i always keep a tube handy. duct tape and super glue to of man's greatest inventions.:D

15. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

Unless you have had experience dealing with repairing this type of injury (hell, even if you do), can check on your dog hourly and take its temperature (low body temperature is a sign that it probably will die without immediate attention; elevated can indicate infection), can keep your dog hydrated, know signs of infection and how to drain it, etc, etc, etc TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET!!! If you don't believe me, read the RIP forum.......I won't treat anything more the superficial punctures and scratches on these dogs. They are very stoic and hide their pain and by the time they show it they are truly suffering. JMHO

Hope it all turns out well for you and the dogs.

16. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

I've had them all now for 2 1/2 yrs and not one incedent had happened till the one in my room "escaped" and fought cuz my BRO let him out. I appreciate all the comments and if it gets worse it's time for the vet! main bad thing is the swelling near the throat on buck. i used benadryl to try and get the swelling down(before he soffocates from it), if it doesn't work- then vet on speed dial. Will take more caution in the future!

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

come on...quit w/ the home remedy and just GO TO THE VET! DUHHHH

18. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

it's to late right now 11:30 pm and their all sleeping anyway- see in the morning.

19. Marty

Marty Guest

Man take the dog to the vet, you would not believe a dog I took in... the law was called and took pictures and documented the whole damn thing... you thing I gave a shit... hell NO!

The damn dog meant the world to me and If I had it to do again I'd do the same damn thing :rolleyes:

I had nothing to hide :confused:

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

im glad my vet will get up in the middle of the night if needed:rolleyes: