1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog eye cloudy...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Mr.lee, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

ok today i just found out that one eye on my dog is cloudy??? he can see out of it but he blinks a lot on that one eye...

2. Yard Boy

Yard Boy Big Dog

Possible catarac ?? :confused:

3. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

How old is he?

Is it possible he could have scratched it on something and maybe it is ulcerated? Is there any discharge?

4. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

no discharge..his 1 years old

5. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

It could be a number of things, first on my list with a young dog would be an ulcer or bacterial infection (but I'm no vet). Squinting is a sign of pain. Take him to the vet and have them stain the eye and look at it.

For now, keep him from messin' with it (if he is), you may need an e-collar. I wouldn't put anything like visine in his eye, it doesn't make it better. I have put triple antibiotic ointment in my dogs and it helped, it's the same ointment the vets give out for some eye problems (BNP). It won't hurt 'til you get him to a vet.

Hope he gets better soon :)

6. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

[​IMG] it kinda lookes liek this but a lot less blue...

7. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

That picture looks more like a cataract...there would be a color change in his eye if he was developing one, like a bluish, whitish color.

Cataracts may be associated with old age, disease, or genetics.

I'd still rule out ulcer or infection first.

8. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

[​IMG] ok it look a lot like this...i found some eye lash in his eye but i cant get it out their was a coupe in his eye

9. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

That picture is an ulcer...you can put some triple antibiotic ointment in it every 4 hours and see if it gets better, or take him to the vet. The vet can give you drops for pain, all the antibiotic ointment does is prevent infection while the ulcer heals. Prevent him from scratching it. Sometimes ulcers can be a pain in the a$$ and just get worse.

Whenever it comes to eyes, I always tend to it ASAP. First thing I recommend is the vet, if that is not an option, then the ointment and an ecollar.

10. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

the vet dont open until monday ...would petsmart have it...it the only store that is open at this time lol

11. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

You could get an e-collar there. The triple antibiotic ointment you can get from any drugstore...it's ingredients are neo-poly-bac. 1/4" strip every 4 hours is what I do.

12. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

his not messing with his eye...ill be going to cvs lol...
    thanks!!!

13. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

What do they call it when the eyelid rolls in? If the eyelashes are in the eye, that could be it. Sometimes it takes surgery to correct. There are Juvenile Cataracts, but don't think they are associated with the breed. I would get him to the vet as soon as possible.

14. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Make sure your using Tri optic not a triple antibiotic ointment like neosporen(sp) Just wanted to clarify that. Ask the pharmacist what would be good they are really helpful. Good luck and follow up with the vet. You don't want to mess around with an eye issue, it cloud get bad. Keep us posted on how he does.

15. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

I use the generic form of neosporin, they don't have OTC stuff for eyes with antibiotics...not that I've found at least. It's the same ingredients. Never had a problem using it :)

Entropion is when the eyelids roll in.

16. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

With the early age of your dog I'd say something is up, get the dog checked out a.s.a.p. Sometimes dogs with diabetes get cloudy eyes so to rule that out a vet visit is a must.

Hope everything works out.

17. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Sounds like vet time

18. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Neosporin is not made for eyes and your lucky your luck you have not had an issue. They sell over the counter Terramycin at most feed stores and some pet stores. It runs about 10.99 a tube and is designed for the eyes. It is not a prescription and the best thing for anything like green junk in the eyes or scratches. It's an OTC tri optic I have been using it for year.

using Neosporin I think could be dangerous. I'm not a vet but I think it says do not get in eyes. If that is the case it might be another inactive ingredient that could be dangerous. I might need to break out the bottle and see what it says.

19. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

I don't use neosporin, I use the generic form, which is the same ingredients as the BNP ointment at the vet. I am a vet tech, I have compared the labels, and asked the vet. It's safe. I don't know if neosporin has something else in it that the triple antibiotic ointment doesn't. That's why I said triple antibiotic ointment, not neosporin.

The first thing I recommended was to go to the vet, but the OP said he can't until Monday, at least that will provide some form of protection for the dog's eye without causing it to get worse.

20. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

ok i went and got something about eye antibiotic ointment clean,heal and stop gems....will his eye open normal and he dont blink as much anymore ...hopefully when i wake up the cloudy clear ... but iam have to wait until monday for the vet...