1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog control bill

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by blanch, Jul 16, 2010.

1. blanch

blanch Big Dog

ive put this in the stafford forum because most the people who post here seem to be from the u.k.
    what are your opinions on this?do you think it will go through?

im worried about it as im pretty sure they could say springpole and flirtpole are encouraging a dog to be aggressive.

also if it goes through will that mean 'pitbull' types will become legal to own again as i dont think it mentions any specific breeds.

2. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

dog control bill means the end of BSL in the UK.

3. It's got to be a good thing, breed specific legislation is a complete disgrace as i'm sure you guys are fully aware.. so it's repeal is welcomed by me..

4. blanch

blanch Big Dog

i agree the end of bsl is a very good thing but at what cost?
    according to this act you can have your dog re-homed and or neuterd if it intimidates a cat.
    but the part im most worried about is it will be illegal to encourage your dog to intimidate,what about pp work?

im also worried because it empowers police and council workers to seize dogs they view as being encouraged to be intimidating,i dont see them understanding the purpose of a springpole or flirtpole

5. blanch

blanch Big Dog

also im told this bill has been brought about because some lord was intimidated by a staffy,
    so im not going to hold my breath about specific breeds being mentioned in the future.

6. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

Idiots can and already do own the dogs i just see it as those who have them and shouldn't will be punished rather than the dogs.

7. blanch

blanch Big Dog

Dog Control Bill [HL]

No person shall—

(a) ​
    allow a dog for which they are responsible to be aggressive or

dangerously out of control, in either a public or a private place;

(b) ​
    encourage a dog to be aggressive or to intimidate people or other
    animals;

(c) ​
    breed dogs for fighting;

(d) ​
    keep a dog that has been used for fighting;

(e) ​
    keep a dog that has attacked a person or another animal.

8. blanch

blanch Big Dog

(1) ​
    If an officer of a police force or local authority is of the opinion that a person is

failing to comply with section 2, but the dog in question has not yet been

involved in an attack, the officer may serve on the person responsible for the

dog a control notice which—
    (a) ​
    states that the officer is of that opinion;

(b) ​
    specifies the respects in which the officer considers the person is failing

to comply with the provisions of section 2;

(c) ​
    specifies the steps the officer considers need to be taken in order to

comply with the provisions;
    (d) ​
    specifies a period for the taking of those steps.

(2) ​
    The steps which an officer may stipulate in a control notice pursuant to

subsection (1)(c) include—

(a) ​
    keeping the dog muzzled when in public;

(b) ​
    keeping the dog on a lead when in public;
    (c) ​
    arranging for the dog to be neutered;

(d) ​
    placing a microchip in the dog;

(e) ​
    arranging for the dog to undergo training; and

(f) ​
    arranging for the dog to be re-homed.

9. blanch

blanch Big Dog

so if they think that you may be training your dog to intimidate other animals or to intimidate people (all pp work) an officer of the police or local authority can have your dog neuterd and rehomed.

and no ones even concerned about this???
    :confused:

10. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

not really no :\ id hope itll be people who stand with fuck all to do but let their dogs face off are warnd...or their dogs are told to be kept on the lead...suits me fine wish more would lol

11. Blanco

Blanco Big Dog

I don't think this will change anything really. Just gonna open the publics eye more. Flirtpole and springpole have always been looked at as dog fighting equipment by big brother. In all documentarys and propaganda bullshit when they bust someone they alays show springpole and mills..
    But,it's just to keep things for yourself and out of the public(like everybody should anyway) and it's all good in da hood

12. blanch

blanch Big Dog

ive got to say im surprised no-one cares that a council worker will soon be able to arrange to have your dogs re-homed and neutered for in their opinion intimidating an animal such as a cat without even so much as a trial.

lure coursing,dog racing,killing rats, earth work in fact all aspects of working a dog except retreiving dead game will be banned.

13. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

Do you think if they became legal maybe not as first but over time people will start to get big yard set ups?

14. peppapig

peppapig Banned

they wont make the pbt legal.but,on the off chance they do,the rules they will bring out to own one will just make it as hard to own one.

15. blanch

blanch Big Dog

thats in a sentence what i meant peppapig,
    you MIGHT be able to own an apbt if this goes through but the only activity you'll legally be able to do with it would be walk it in an area where there where no animals.

16. Gotta say I am concerned about the amount of control this bill will give the Police force and even council workers for christs sake.. But i never thought i'd see the day where Bsl was repealed in the UK.. It was knee jerk legislation at it's best and stops good honest people from having the dog of their choice.. we all know it's deed not breed.. So fingers crossed that the extent of this new bill will target the chav scum on street corners..

17. blanch

blanch Big Dog

why not just make the owner completely responsible for the actions of their dog?
    e.g your dog badly injures someone you go down for gbh

18. peppapig

peppapig Banned

it does nothing to stop dickheads getting the dog in the 1st place tho blanch.punishment is all very well,but its after the deed is done.prevention is the order of the day.im 100% behind age restrictions,criminal records checks etc if wanting ownership......

19. Blanco

Blanco Big Dog

Agree with that age restrictions and such,but the corner boys will still get a hold of dogs if they want to.
    You guys will just wait and see what happens. Maybe things work out in the end

20. peppapig

peppapig Banned

if the pbt is made legal in the uk they will...in time....just become a version like the mini pig kc staff.....due to every man and his son buying and breeding the arse out them,not caring for its true traits etc,if it looks good it gets bred etc.im divided on the legalise them part for that reason.if the fact they are illegal is stopping SOME dickweeds having one then fair enough.