1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do you train you obedience train your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hells Bells, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Who hear trains their dog on sit, stay, down, come when called the basics of obedience maybe heeling which is hard to break. Anyway who has been to a formal obedience class? Helena and I had a first for both of us going but it turned out well and we graduated. I'm planning to take another class there later this year.

I think that any dog no matter how big or small should be trained to atleast obey these few commands and you should work with your dog it's entire life on it. Dogs can get very solid but old dogs who know commands still have their moments.

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i give my dogs military commands. off duty / on duty / atease. they pick it up good i try to keep it simple for them not realy house dogs. when they pick up from the older dogs and that makes it easy on me

3. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

My dogs know the basics but the only ones I put alot of serious emphasis on are COME, and STAY both for safty reasons. No dog that comes through my house EVER learns to heal. lol I like when they pull. My arms are pretty rock solid for a petite female. lol

4. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Eh I hate being dragged behind a dog. I used to have a 65lb lab mix and Helena is 47lbs and pulls way harder than that dog ever did. Plus I want to pass the CGC test and the dog has to walk on a loose leash. I think a CGC looks good on a bulldog breed.

5. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

You'd hate walking Tank. 95 pounds of GO GO GO. For the first year I walked him my collar bone was SO sore. He's ten so maybe soon he'll calm down! lol Ya... I was hoping to CGN Scarling {Canadain version of CGC} but due to my daughters health, we've had to quarentine all our dogs away from others so she doesn't get sick so that went in the pooper. So now Scarlings a puller, too! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  6. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

I train my dogs. Some more in depth than others. I don't go past the basics on them though...no off leash stuff or competition heeling and such, except Havoc. Even after passing their CGC, they still pull on the leash and act like they've had no training, it's like they knew to behave for the test and then forgot everything lol But I do like a trained dog, especially if they are to be in the house.

Havoc will compete in obedience only because I want him to Super dog, but we won't go past the UCD, his first trial [possibly] is next week, and he will also be tested for his TDI and maybe do the reading program at schools. Mainly because he's more laid back than the others.

My main goal is to have all the dogs in my house have/get their CGCs and TTs

7. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

One of my dogs pulls so hard on the leash that my hand and wrist will be red from walking her a few feet. I don't walk her, the fiance has to. She has almost dislocated my shoulder going after a damn cat and has managed to wrap the leash around my ankles and flip me on my a$$ going after a duck.

8. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

LMFAO! Oh man....I let my friend walk my girl Arez. She's a pretty big girl. 60 pounds and pulls like no tomorrow, of course because I never taught her not to. So my friend thinks he's all cool walkin' down the street with her, but I'm so used to them, I know when to brace myself, but he doesn't, so some little dog comes barking at a fence and she drags his ass down a steep hill and into a ditch filled with water, right on his but. OMG. I never laughed so hard in my life. He was so embarrassed and handed me back the leash and never asked to walk one of my dogs again. lol Sigh.... goood times. lol

9. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

All of our pit bulls go through basic obedience. All have their cgc's. Four of them are therapy dogs. Plan to enroll one more in therapy when she calms down a bit. Your dog has to be able to do loose leash walking to do therapy. We have one neutered male we trust to let off leash on our own property. With us out there with him of course. He obeys commands very well.

10. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Good on you for doing therapy! I would have loved to have a dog come in and visit when we were stuck in the hospital with my daughter for almost a year. I missed my dogs so much. They had done therapy dogs there for a bit, but stopped because of kids with allergies, but they are starting it up again but only having the dog come into one of the play rooms which sucks for us as Raven gets sick really easy so she can't go to the play room and be around the other kids. :( It really truely makes such a difference for those dog lovers stuck in facilities where they can't have their own pets. You have no idea unless you've been in such a situation.

11. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I compete in Obedience and teach obedience, and agility classes. My dogs have to behave in public;)

12. beanieman

beanieman Banned

i can get them to sit, come and down but never heal, they will not do that.
    My father traint guard and police dogs i grew up with that, but those damn irish dogs wil never heal.

13. Franzi216

Franzi216 Top Dog

We made this Saturday our first endurance-test, 20 km...We made it...also we git the companion dog test(Flitze), Tommi is working on that. Tommi did some Schutzdienst, but we ended for visiting the retirement home...Forgotten: Flitze has some places in Agility-competitions...

14. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

I Do Obediance With My Dogs Come Sit Heal Stay ... Whens Its Work Time They Work And When Its Play Time They Play..

15. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

I have with Legend basic and advanced and agility classes. He's taking a refresher course for basics now.

16. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

my apbt will sit, but that don't last long.

i don't worry to much with that kind of stuff. with the jrts, it's different. they have a larger vocabulary than some of my employees.

but i tried to make it a point from early on to never discourage/correct her. it's my responsibility to keep her in a situation where i don't have to. but any time she gets excited (when i allow her to get worked up) it's time to play :cool:.

the drive, determination, and willingness of this breed is one of the reasons i was attracted to it in the first place.

no need to try and put that flame out, in any way, shape or form. ayone who thinks otherwise, we'll agree to disagree so save both of our time.

now i will say, she knows how to react by how i approach her, look at her, etc. she feels it and responds well. she doesn't do that for strangers, just me and the wife. and i like it that way. [*edit* - i do need to add i don't want that misunderstood. she LOVES strangers, but wants nothing to do but jump up and lick their face and tackle my nieces and nephews for tongue bath time.] we don't go to parks with her, she doesn't go to the pet store when we buy food, we wait in the parking lot at the vet until they call me to come in the door straight to the exam room.

if you can see the picture i'm painting, she's never around strange dogs, outside the house off her chain or out of the kennel without strict supervision, and she's never been off leash in her life. so i have never put to much stock in obedience training for my apbt; i'm confident in my ability to "manage" my dog.

it is impressive though, and i'm sure an apbt would be better than any other dog in ob competitions. like i said, our jrts are the brightest dogs we've ever had. how's this for obedience - they will both (the 7 yr old and 5 mo. old pup) will piss and crap on command. ;)

17. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

You rock! I want to know how you did that! What a time saver in the morning when you are trying to get ready for work!

18. TigerLady

TigerLady Pup

My dogs are extensively OB trained. OB work is something that me AND my dogs love to do - especially in OB ralley. My adult females are multi-titled and the youngsters each currently hold two titles. Both Doja and Gracie are currently working on earning their TDI designation as well.

These are the current levels that each dog holds:

Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
    Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
    Otis; CD, CDX
    Domino; CD, CDX

~Tiger

19. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

That's essentially how I look at it too. I could very easily get them walkin' around like robots, following command after command. My first girl was a whiz, as I put so much time into her doing stuff like that, she was even reliable off leash on a busy city street {this was almost twenty years ago, different times... I wouldn't do that know now matter how well trained my dog was with the present state of the breed} because it was just me and her. Now two kids and a zillion dogs later, we're more about the fun! lol I love seeing them full of pep, just going at life with the zest they were born with. Not saying I have issues with people who do different, I've just been there done that. To me what counts is temperment more than obedience. I expect nothing but the best when it comes to people, and as far as other animals, couldn't care a less as my dogs can't be around any outside of each other due to my daughters health anyway. The only one I'm a little bit strict on is Tank because he is so big, he could easily over power me.

20. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Tigerlady I applaud you but I don't know what type of breed you own but I am going to assume an Amstaff. If you do AKC (those titles you listed are AKC titles) Then you do not have an APBT. Not to detract from your accomplishments just FYI for those that do not know what those titles mean. You also have some UDX's so my hats off to you.
    Obedience is great to have and I am thankful the ADBA is doing the safe-dog program. They are looking for more owners to have control over their dogs without losing the characteristics of the breed.

APBT are incredibly smart and that is one reason that attracted me to the breed. Just because they are APBT's does not mean you cannot do things with them. I get so tired of these guys who say, They are a bulldog and can't be around be around other animals, or they should never be trained, let them be a dog.
    Come on, times have changed and these dogs are capable of amazing things. I love taking a well bred dog and doing anything I want with them. Through training anything is possible, I love to compete in Agility, Schutzhund, Obedience, Weight Pull, anything that involves a performance sport.