1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do you brush your dogs teeth

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mydawgs, Dec 30, 2009.

1. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

My male APBT is 12, and I have to brush his teeth. He has lost 3 already and to avoid loosing anymore I brush his teeth. He is so damn strong that I have to lay on him so I can lift his jowls and get those big ole chompers. He is such a good dog, but the biggest BUTT HEAD when it comes to gettin his teeth brushed. My husband was rollin on the floor laughing this am as me and Buddy rolled around on the bathroom floor brushin his teeth....I love mydawgs!!!!!!

2. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I dont but I am sure it works. I give them a meal on ribs uncooked or chicken necks once wk and that cleans em up good ...but for that old fella he may need what ur doing. Good luck with him always impressed with people taking care of the older hounds good for u!

3. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I do once a week with all my dogs.

4. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Thanks...the funniest thing is he stills comes into the bathroom every mornin a waggin that tail, sits down and then....the battle....HA

5. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

How do you get them to sit calmly...you have probably been doing this since they are young and they are used to it?????????

6. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

I give mine good bones and it always seemed to work for me, I like a good femur bone for mine and the dogs always seem to do well on them.

7. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

my blind dog isnt the biggest chewer, so he gets a brushing every now and then and ultrasonic every 2 years or so

8. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Buddy has been gettin dentals every three years, but the older he gets the more worried I get puttin him under.....

9. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

HAHHAHA, sit calmly whats that? I usually put them between my legs and open there mouth are start brushing violently. lol. They honestly don't mind. I put them between my legs for various tasks like putting on there collars etc etc. It use to be a big deal, now they like to try and eat the paste.

Also, what i mean by between my legs is I am standing and their back legs are between my legs and I am hunched over them.

10. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Well this is my starting position and then he starts pulling his head back, then side to side, then he trys to roll....oh it's great fun. I am getting faster, so maybe we will come to an understanding soon....sigh

11. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

JC is getting put under next week for a dental. One tooth has to come out. I'm a bit nervous about him being put under.

12. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I think it takes time. I chose to hover over them like that but they would probably let me do it another way if I tried. I am just use to it.

13. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

How old is JC???? I don't care how old they are it is always nerve wracking to me......

14. Michele

JC is 8 years old. It's nerve wracking to me too. He had the senior wellness blood work done today so as long as that is good, he will be going in next week.

The small breeds tend to get bad teeth. When JC had surgery a couple of years ago for a kidney stone, the vet ended up taking out 5 teeth that were bad. His nickname is now Mr. Tooth.

15. Jelet

Jelet Banned

I feed my dog a raw diet;the bones aid in cleaning his teeth and raw food doesnt have extra additives/toppings to it which will create more plaque--Rub a kibble on your dogs teeth. Your teeth will have brown stuff on it from the kibble, but raw, you will have nothing on the teeth...

But as far as brushing with a toothbrush and some toothpaste... I brush his teeth once a month. Sometimes twice.

and best of luck with the surgery Michele on JC, next week.

16. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Wow...I will keep you both in my thoughts...hang tough and good luck!!!!

17. Michele

Thank you Jelet and mydawgs. :)

I'm sure everything will be ok but I always get nervous when it comes to putting a dog under.

18. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I feed raw as well, but this ole boy has 12 year old choppers....he still loves me after I torture him with the tooth brush LOL LOL LOL

19. Michele

12 years old......wow!! Does he have all his teeth? And have you always brushed them?

20. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I started after his last dental, where they extracted 3 teeth...besides his breath does get a little tangy without a good brushing, at least that is what my daughters say, I love his doggy breath!!!!!!!