1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do yall find

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by popper, Feb 21, 2010.

1. popper

popper CH Dog

In this day an age that alot of peole are breeding for mouth mouth mouth before game. Isnt game is what makes the pitbull a pitbull. Was talking to an old timer down the street and he said it was all about game then mouth. he said alot of these youngsters want this devastating mouth and thats it.

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

thats what its suppose to be about but there is a reason people are breeding for more mouth in 2k10. Tryin to get in and get out, 2 or 3 hours is a lot more risky but if u want quality i agree w you

3. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Mouth sells just like sex. Mouth is like Kim Kardashian very flashy and fun to look at. Gameness is the girl nextdoor not as sexy, but the kind you want on your side. Analogies aside things go in cycles. Younger people perfer flash and as they age gameness becomes more important. I think today we are able to breed for both traits without sacrificing one.

4. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

wuldnt a tru game dog have it all game,brains,mouth n stamina?

5. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

A gamedog is just what it says a dog that is game. Not every gamedog has all the tools, but will still be a game dog.

6. popper

popper CH Dog

i agree 100 percent ......mostl mouth mouth mouth is a beginner thing

7. power

power Pup

Back when it was legal to match a dog most people wanted a dog that could win. Didn't matter how the dog won as long as he won.
    Some wanted game dogs that would die trying. Others wanted the dog that would kill game dogs.
    When a person put their money up they were not game testing their dog. That should have been done long before matching the dog. They just wanted to win.
    You had to know your dog. If it was game but did not have a hard bite it would be dumb to go into a hard bitting dog. If your dog had a hard bite and was a finisher but may not be game you went into dogs that he could finish before gameness came into play.
    You will see many good match dogs that did not produce anything. Many of these dogs weren't game but had an owner that knew his dog, his limitations, and his good points. He matched into dogs he knew his dog could handle. Pups out of him would not do much as their owners may not know their dog as well as the original.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i was referring to its relevance in competitions and laws. RISKY BIZZ, wanna get in and out in 20-30 or be there for 2-3 hours?

9. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

As a side note I do remember an oldtimer saying he did not want a dog that took two hours to get the job done. I have heard of some even culling such dogs. If I was foolish enough to match a dog today the dog would have to have a good mouth or an uncanny ability to stay out of trouble. Alas we can only hunt with them now, but I hold the same standards with gameness being number one. Who wants to take care of a big boar while wondering if the dog is going to keep it's hold.

10. Belcher256

Belcher256 Big Dog

Mouth is a good thing to have, but breeding for only it is setting yourself up for failure. But then again its 2010, fighting is illegal, so people arent as concerned. It sells, have to agree 100% magnolia

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

im right there with you, im just saying WHY some people do things the way they do.

12. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

IMO and some will disagree, but anytime you breed towards one extreme trait over the other is not a good thing, and IMO that does include a 'just game' dog... Can a dog be too game? No, I don't think so, BUT if thats ALL he is.. that sole trait should not be expounded upon in what 'I WANT',,, same with Mouth, same with Ability... ONE trait should NOT BE the focus, but a well rounded all around good bulldog, thats tough, has grit, power and HEART... What good is going into the hang time contest if your dog has the power of a bite to hold on 4 times his body weight IF he does not have the HEART to hold onto the rope the longest??? Superior Balance is what MY goal is...

JM2C

13. venom

venom Top Dog

Whatever his mouth is like, if the gameness isn't there then its a curr. When shit hits the fan, i dont wanna bet that he'll scratch.

14. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Exactly, BR you put it like I was trying to say. This is an old topic that has been and will continue to be debated for years to come.

15. Belcher256

Belcher256 Big Dog

BR is right as usual. Also, when going for one sole thing it ends up in an inbalance. A well rounded dog is whats needed in a pit. What good is a mouthy dog if its oppenent can withstand the abuse and outwind him?

16. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I dont know why. Its seems like common sense to me. Gameness is the most important trait by far. But you cant win on gameness alone. No matter the topic, people and dogs who excel at what they do have more than one strength. Gameness should be the basis of the breedings tho. Then add the others traits til you end up with some lil monster.

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Its all about producing well rounded dogs, from well rounded parents so you don't get too much... mouth, flash, energy to go all out(causing short-winded pups) don't just breed, think what would truly make the best offspring, without handicapping the litter beforehand, thus amounting to your feed bill, and cull rate, just plan every breeding, get in waist deep with those animals, and see what they really are about before sticking them to just another dog, for maybe some alright dogs , you might just end up saying why the TRuck did that breeding not work???, when really you could of know all along! HaD YOU PUT THE TIME AND HOURS INTO IT, BREEDING IS A PRIVALIGE, DON'T MESS IT UP;)

Thats my 2cents:cool:

Buck E. Owens

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  18. rooftopdrop

rooftopdrop Big Dog

magno you have the names of any of those dogman that culled dogs for going two hours? I just wanna make sure i never end up w any of there blood!!!! this is not a dig on you by the way just got a chuckle out of it. hard mouth dogs are nice, but game dogs are alot more far and few between. iv had both and if i had to choose game wins my vote every time,and if that game dog is box smart to look out.iv seen a smart game dog get on a ear and ride till tommorow and make that killer quit! not everyone feels that way but i do. some oldtimers say breed your gamedogs, and match your killers. i say match your good ones and cull the rest!!!!!! breed for gameness and in time you'll get some that can crunch too!!!

19. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

the one that said he did'nt want one that took two hours to get the job done is a hazy memory. I talked to one about two years ago that told me I did not want the dog I thought I did because a boar would kill him before he ever got it tired enough to handle. gameness is #1, but ability is a very close second.

20. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Hang time and hog hunting is a blast, and to me a semi- proper way to gametest.
    When faced with that decision, I always refer back to the "oldtimers" thinking. Mouth is great to have, it is quite needed, but heart has to be there FIRST and foremost.

I know that in the old days, a fella pretty much knew what he was going into and as he had multiple dogs on his yard, he could pick which one was going into the adversairies dog and knew something about that opponent before hand.
    Was the opponent known for his smarts? His mouth? Gameness? as in is he/she already a 1X, 2X? Thier matches were set up quite some time ahead, usually in order to pick the dog and have the keep. A real keep.

Today, nobody has any patience and they wind up ruining young dogs way too soon just to have something to hunt with, and they throw hunts around like it is mardigras candy, not knowing squat about the people they are going hunting with.