1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do i need to cut down on his feed?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by davidlau_2002, Mar 22, 2006.

1. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

i don't want to exercise him until he's about 1 yr. 2 mos.. right now he is 73 lbs. and eats about 4 cups wellness super5puppy mix a day. he gets handwalking for about 2 miles a day spread out.

Attached Files:

2. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

You Could Take Him To 3 1/2 A Day, And Up His Exercise. Maybe Flirt Him, Throw A Ball, Take Him On A Bike....

3. B

B CH Dog

Try 3 cups... that dog should be a high 60's mutt. The stomach should tuck higher and ribs slightly visible. My largest male at 55 lbs our of shape and hog fat only gets 2.5 cups or so.

Regards,

B

4. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Give him 3 cups. You should start leaning him up. He's not that young anymore.;)

5. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

thanks guys. and i do understand that he is NOT pure APBT even though his papers say he is. He seems to be growing way too big even though his father was 65 lbs. and his mother 55 lbs.

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

For a pet dog, he's not in that bad of shape. But I agree, he could lose some and would probably be happier for it. 4 cups is a lot. My 45-pound girl gets 2. (Admittedly, it sounds like you exercise him more than I do my dog.) Also, I would get him off that puppy stuff.

ETA: He would probably look good at 65 pounds or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2006
  7. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Yeah, I agree down on the food my 45 lb. female also only gets about 2 cups as well and she looks fine. A good form of exrecise is to get a wieghted harness and just let him play fetch in it. you know get him to run and jump a bit this will also help with some muscle tone.

8. tnob

tnob Big Dog

3 Cups A Day. Adult Food.i Start Exercise At 6 Months. Flirt Pole And Such

9. B

B CH Dog

Definately stop the puppy feed. I don't use puppy food at all. That could also be part of the reason he's a bit heavier.

Regards,

B

10. firestarter

firestarter Banned

That looks just like my "Boner".....even the ears. Cept mines barely 4 1/2 months old. :D

11. Because he is so big and being fed way too much...IMO I would cut him down slowly until you got him at around 2 1/2 cups, That should be plenty, But i wouldnt drop him from 4 cups down to 2 1/2 all at once, thats a gig difference, let him get used to eating a little less every day. His stomach right now is very used to a lot of food, I dont believe he would feel so good if you did it all at once. Think about it like this, when you switch their foods, you dont do it all at once, its not good for them. You take it slow, about a week before they are fully turned over, I think i would do the same with cutting him back!

laurajean likes this.
  12. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

All of dogs (show dogs) get 2 cups or close to it a day. When I work and walk them, they get a lil' more depending on the amount of work.

13. Big Rod

Big Rod Big Dog

i would really hate to start a new thread unless it was something totaly diffrent so ill take advantage of this one and ask a question. how do you specifically target their gut? make it real nice and tuck. yeah yeah i know theirs all sorts of excersize but is it just a overall result? is walking better than flirt, for example.

my dog is already 19 months and i think i kinda waited to long to start to condition him. i just didnt wanna walk him daily when he was young for reasons like puttin stress on his joints and diseases. now i think its time i start and as soon as i can get a ample breaking stick, ill take him for walks with peace of mind.

on a side note, i feed this guy like 6 cups of dog food. if hes a fatty boom batty at 80lbs, should he be in the high 60s?and that would be like 3 cups of feed a day? and all this im discussing would be daily weight, just to have him slim and athletic, not exactly drawing him fine.

for a idea of what he looks like you can check out my gallery. the picture i took yesturday is the first one, i believe. thank you all in advance.

14. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

He might be pure. He might just be a big Ass dog. Don't get caught up in all of that crap alot of people might be feeding you they had big ass pitbulls back in the day as well as small ones. As far as food is concerned I would cut his feed down to 2 1/2 cups a day. You might even want to change dog food. My Smokey is a BIG ASS pitbull and he was and is alittle overweight even for his size so I had to cut his food down and he is 6. You might want to try Diamond High Energy and keep running him. LIke I read someone said try with a bike. I resently took Smokey swimming for the first time which I think he liked and he got plenty of exercise. CHanging what time he eats might work also, don't feed so late, maybe mid day so he can run in the afternoon..

15. Big Rod

Big Rod Big Dog

Well im pretty sure he is a pure one. He better be since i paid some money...and especially since he has papers. and how can i forget the dna profile. his dad is fat at 70 but slim on the low 60's and his mom is low 60's and slim around the mid to low 50's. his dad is double bred off of Reids Ch Gambler with an out cross to sorrells (which they explained to me is the reason for his size, hybred vigor i guess) and his mom is a direct daughter of Reids Ch Gambler. if you know about norrod dogs, you already know who im talkin about very well.

16. Same advise here, and I surely IMO would not recommend Diamond anything! JMO.....I would however recommend Sportsman Pride...less clean up, nice looking skin and coat, and you pay less than Diamond! Also I would feed in the morning...some people say "awwwwe they go hungry all night" You feed them everyday...you are not starving your dog! Food in the morning is good for dogs..as it helps keep them active through-out the day!
    What are you currently feeding him? I think he looks pretty good for 6 cups a day! Still should cut that back though! A little at a time!

17. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

The big ass dogs that you are talking about from back in the day were rarely over 60 lbs in decent shape. This is for many different reasons.
    Any kind of research into the breed will show you why they weren't sought after and you will discover that a very small percentage of winners were over the 60-65 lb range.
    These big ass dogs weren't around until lately.

18. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Post a pedigree.

19. Attila

Attila Guest

This is how I see it. A pit bull has standards for its breed. Now conditioned is where it lays mainly so couch weight isn't really a good example to say. 70 pounds and not conditioned isn't a catastrophic thing. 70 pounds and conditioned isn't always either as long as we are not talking game. For show it can pass by demensions is it proportional is the card. Now In the gamedog we tend to like the lower end of the scale the 30 pound bitch and 45 pound Male. But that is that. I try to stay in the 35-45 pound range on both. That isn't always going to happen. Every now and then one will end up being bit larger or a bit smaller not a great amount but some. However it has been a tendancy over the las two decades to breed larger and larger dogs. And it has gotten out of hand where you are seeing 125 pound dogs that are registared and papered As Pit Bulls but the look like a bull mastiff but with some pit bull features. That is neither here nor there. I feed my dogs onece at 0600 hrs and once about 1500 hrs. works for me and I don't have messes in the crates over night. My dogs are crated for the night inside not out. My call. I tend to shoot stuff that wanders in my yard at night and don't care to hit one of my dogs. And if it comes in my yard at night it is one dead creature. If it has two eyes and breaths I aim to stop it. Where was I. ya. 1 3/4 cup morn and 1 3/4 cup eve That is what I do but there is variance depending on what the body is looking like. Body type does play a factor. If you have a taller longer dog it will be heavier, and vise versa for a smaller shorter one eh. Stomach should tuck up and to do that requires twisting and such as used in the flirt pole and swimming, some in walking but not as intence. You will get in better shape working your dogs too. He could drop about 6-10 pounds toneing him up but it may be less depending how he muscles up. Meat weighs more that lard.

20. Big Rod

Big Rod Big Dog

Thanks for the advice. I especially like the tip of feeding him in the morning. Since im trying to cut down he can eat the right amount of food in the morning and have the whole day to burn it up. Then a little bit of walking at night fall should shape him up some. :D

So I guess ill just do what I do and see what happens. Hopefully in a month or so I can have some pics to compare to his current condition. And I just uploaded a picture of his side so you can get more of a feel for what I mean about the “tummy tuck” thing. Might take a while though for a mod to check it.

And I noticed everyones commenting on size and such. Uh...no one is breeding for size here. I will admit I "like" the red nose but this pup wasnt bought from some show dogs. Everytime I try and copy and paste my ped, it looks real messed up so i wont even try this time. Hopefully the attachments work. :confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006