1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

digging

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by dcmorey74, May 29, 2010.

1. dcmorey74

dcmorey74 Pup

Ok this is my problem..And really for the most part its not a problem but...I have a fenced backyard but we have found due to recent situations mainly squirrels that my pit can jump the fence without touching it (regular chain link fence about 4 ft tall) so we cable her in the yard now. Ok...now she has taken to digging holes, I know this is a sign of bord'em. When I correct her on this which in most cases is just saying bad dog she will actually push the dirt back in the hole with her nose. It funny but in the same since not. What can I do to stop this? she has to be chained in the back yard now, we have very strict laws in the city I live in about pitbulls.

2. Try leaving her out there with some things in her chain spot that will help keep her interest.

Some items that may work:
    -Deer antlers
    -Deer legs - whole, meat, skin, and bone (unless you know a hunter you might not have the same ease as I do getting these for the dogs)
    -A hollow bone or a kong filled up with peanut butter - put it in the freezer until it is rock solid, that could keep her interested for an hour or so...
    -Toys?

If she is just bored you might be able to find something to keep her happy without having to resort to digging around...

3. catchw8

catchw8 Big Dog

Ha get 1 of the huge bones from wal-mart buy a couple cuse with most pits it will be gone in a week i had a show/rbj bred female that was 6 months old gave her 1 it was gone in like 11 days and just a pup

If she is interested in tires get an old car or atv tire out there then put a kong out there with peanut butter in it

4. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

dont use a car tire...steel belted

5. catchw8

catchw8 Big Dog

Some of them dont have them though rite?

6. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

all cars do.dont know about atv,wouldent think they do.

7. catchw8

catchw8 Big Dog

o ok i never did a car tire but i was just sayin well learn somthin new every day but i know bike tires are ok gave 1 of my pits a mountian bike tire he loved it

8. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I have a yard dog, Bella, that only digs when you give her a bone. She'll bury them and dig them up again. I had another girl, Toxicity, that would try to dig up her axle anytime you payed attention to another dog. It's a somewhat natural behavior for a dog to dig.

Adivina had some good suggestions and LeeD is correct. Do not use steel belted tires, look for bias ply.

If it's not that much of a problem I wouldn't worry to much about it. Your dog is fulfilling a need by digging and if it's not become an obsessive behavior, just try a few of the above suggestions to see if she can be distracted from it.

Good Luck

DryCreek:)