1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Different breeds Working vs. Show

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by AncientKulcha, Dec 12, 2008.

1. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

Do all breeds of dogs have a big difference like Pit bulls between working and show? If so are there any pics to show the difference?

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

imho they can be one in the same w/ the APBT.
    many other breeds are polar opposites though. GSD, labs, retrievers, st. bernards, beagles, etc, etc, are prime examples of signifigant differences between working/show lines

3. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I agree there should not be a difference in working or show.

But when people are only breeding for conformation they do not care about working ability. I have show and working lines in my kennel and there is a BIG difference.

Example
    Look what the AKC did to the GSD. They took a working dog and made them walk on their hocks. You know why the police dept doesn't use AKC bred dogs for the k-9 unit? Because they could not work with how bred down they are in the hock. Most of the police dogs are imported into the US. It is truly sad to see how they will deform a dog just because they think it looks better!

another example
    American Bully
    Amercan Staffordshire Terrier

4. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

I've seen some show beagles and working beagles that are worlds apart when it comes to temperament but physically there not much different just one gets more work more than the others

5. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

If this is in the wrong place will someone please move it? Thanks in advance...:confused:;):rolleyes::):D

6. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

I saw a working Collie (not a border) at my work, being used as a service dog. It looked amazing, very tall and leggy, not those fluffy show dogs.

7. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

I second that about the German Shepherd. They are the breed I grew up with and I will adore and love them forever.But it is a shame how they have been ruined here in America.Check out the differences in different lines and tell me what you think:

A well know dog of working lines from the Czech Republic, prolific stud and an awesome worker, and also correct conformation:
    http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/409047.html

next, A dog of American showlines, well known in that world.Note these AmShowlines are not required to be tested and worked, judged on looks only:
    http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/540336.html

8. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

WOW perfect examples!

9. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Breeding purely for show has been the death of almost every breed it has touched. Balancing beauty and performance is the key

10. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

i agree cause when breeding strickly for show most breeders dont take in mind the health issues. As for the working ones taken into mind the overall health needed to perform the job right.

11. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Most every popularized breed will have a strong distinction between show and performance stock. I do wonder, however, if the breeders of other performance breeds will insist that the AKC/UKC show stock is an entirely different breed...

12. nc_pitbullmommy

nc_pitbullmommy Big Dog

There's a definite difference in the show line Dobermans and the working line Dobermans.

13. Renee

Renee Big Dog

Big differences between show line Filas and working line Filas:

The ex's Shiva (Brazilian show lines)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Kharma (working)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The temperament is also very different. Kharma is much sharper/harder than Shiva, more reserved and far more self-confident and willing to make decisions.

14. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

Most AKC show dogs couldn't do the work it was bred to do, because looks are more important. They dont care if the dog is up to standard in the field, as long as it looks the part according to them. The AKC show german sheperd walks like a frog.

15. bounty

bounty Big Dog

A while back my mate was at a dog show (I know shame on him) with his wife, who shows dogs, and he was talking to a amstaf breeder. The guy was telling him how he is so happy that the hip score on his champion amstaff come back as being good. Now the first thing i thought was why would you need to check hips on such a average to small size dog, after all hip scoring is for the mastiff breeds right. No... apparently Amstaffs can have bad hips, have you ever heard a APBT with hip problems, maybe there out there but i have never heard of it.
    Any way the point i want to make is Amstafs have only been bred for the show ring for the last say 50 to 60 years and they have already f@#$ed them up. And the reason is because they don't work them.
    I have had many discussions about this topic with working dog people and Show people, and they all agreed that the show seen really wrecks dog breeds.
    Whats the solution?
    One idea that my friend came up with was to make it compulsory for show lines to have at least one ancestor in the first two generations that is of a pure working line. So to make what i am saying clear that would mean that the show dogs will have a minimum of 25% working blood in them up close.
    I know this is impossible for a lot of breeds because the show line is the only line available.

16. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

I would say before a dog can be a champ they must place and gain points in working shows also (ie weight pull, agility, dock jumping....) it's good to have them in the ped but that doesn't mean that particular dog can or will do the same as their ancestor.

17. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

There's another thread that has a yellow lab on it that made me do a double take "switching food" I think (that's what gaveme the idea for this one :o;)) how bout some more pics showing the differences.

18. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

I agree that show dogs should be required to prove their working ability in order to champion. In my opinion a show breed "APBT" that shows no working ability or drive is actually an American Staffordshire Terrier (no matter what registry it is with).

I require all of my dogs to work, including my dogs that I show in conformation.
    For example: Hennessy is a UKC CH and has 24 points in ADBA, but he also has two weight pull titles, two flyball titles, one leg toward his UCD in obedience, and will start competing in agility next year. Once he earns two more legs for his UCD, he will also receive his Super Dog Title in UKC.

But then I guess that depends on what you consider "working". At the ADBA show that I was at a couple of weeks ago, I had some old a-hole (that shall remain nameless) asking me about Jaeger and Envy's bloodlines. We were discussing them and talking about Jaeger. I was telling him what he has done and earned. The guy asked me "how many he has won?". It took me a second to realize what he was talking about. I was taken aback by it, and told him that is not something I would even ever consider doing. Then he coped an attitude and told me 'you might as well have a poodle, cause you are wasting your dog's potential'. Pissed me off.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  19. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

To each his own.....but you're doing great with Jaeger keep up the good work!!:)

20. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I get the same crap from all the guys at the ADBA club here. I had a game guy tell me that I don't have real APBT's because they were not dog aggressive. He always gave me crap and said I would not be able to "work" a "real" pit like his dogs. Years later I bought a dog from him (he did have nice drivy dogs) and she is now competing in Schutzhund, agility, obedience and starts weight pull next year. Sorry a little off topic but those guys really burn me up. Like a dog is any less a APBT because because they don't fight. WTF ever :p

ps Hennessy is one sexy dog!;)