1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between a bully and APBT

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by MR BIGGS, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

****ok since no-one has a legitimate answer to the original question, please disregard****

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  2. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

ABs are catch/guard dogs, AmStaffs are the show version of the APBT, Staffy Bulls are now bred for show, and pits are pure and still bred to fight. I guess like that. Plain and simple. Then if they ask questions about any one of them go into more detail.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

IMO, a bully is bred for head size, chest girth, and other physical dimensions and characteristics that would have little to no benefit -- and probably be a detriment -- to a working APBT. Conversely, a real APBT is still bred with working capabilities in mind. Its like comparing a puma to a tree stump, LOL.

4. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

they are working dogs, bred for sport. Use weight pulling, hog hunting as a reference.

6. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

7. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

I really don't think that they look alike at all.

8. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I tell them that they look similar because years back they shared the same foundations (keep in mind the response to unknowing peoples questions pertaining to Odins breed is- "Amstaff"). I tell them about 100 years ago, some people decided to breed for the show ring instead of the fighting pit. This has created a breed that looks the part, without some of the charectoristics of a working APBT.

I picked this response for many reasons. : If I tell people he's an "Amstaff" they dont jump back in fear, they sit down and pet the dog and later find out he is still a *gasp* "pitbull". By that time, they cant resist the licking and wagging tail :).

Another reason I say "Amstaff" is to get suspected nosey "do-gooders" of my back about walking a working dog with some scars. If I said he was a "pitbull" they would probably turn me in for dog-fighting, with the Amstaff description I tell the people they arent any better fighters now-days then labs. To some it might not be a problem, I have a serious problem with even accusations of dog-fighting, and I avoid the situation as much as possible.

The final, and most important reason I reply "Amstaff" and describe it such as that is so no one gets the bright idea to follow me home and steal a dog or whatever. "Amstaff" doesnt sell pups like "pure bread pitts" does in the classifieds ;)

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Only the lowest, thickest, 23'' crusted breadings for me :D ROFL

11. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

IMO there is a distinct difference between the bully breeds (those that attend the bully expose) and Amstaffs. Now if your referring to the Amstaff then 14rock hit the nail on the head but again, if your talking about these low to the ground, wide with big head dogs then there are absolutely no similarities. And it doesn't take a somewhat educated person to distinguish between the two. JMO

12. Attila

Attila Guest

Rock,

That is a very good answer. I just say it's a lap dog. And when they pet them they get lapped by the tongues and I say see lap dogs.

13. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

14. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I'm glad I currently have a black and tan. I don't have to worry about all this BS for right now. I just tell them he is a mutt and they believe it. Occassionally, I have someone say that he looks like he has pit bull in him. I just tell them, possibly.

I told someone that he was an APBT when he was a puppy and they literally dropped him and started to panic. They started stuttering and the man's wife quickly moved away. He was only about 4 or 5 months old at the time and they acted like he was going to attack them. I tried to tell them that they are really great dogs. Her reply was "Yeah, they are great at eating babies." I wanted to choke the old hag out. Some people have their heads so far up their ass it is ridiculous. I don't even feel the need to waste my breath anymore. Chances are, you could tell them all kinds of great things about the dogs while the dog is begging for their attention and they will still hate the dog and you for owning it.

Edit:
    Sorry, I went off track. When you consider the fact that most of these bullys weigh double the amount of an APBT and are twice as wide, they really aren't similar at all. IMO. I guess the cropped ears may fool some people. Other than that, I can't really see any similarities.

15. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

You might try pointing out the difference between show and working dogs. This dosen't just apply to Bulldogs. Look at Border Collies. Border Collies have only been a registered breed for 10 years or so, and already a dog person can tell the difference between the real deal and the showdog version (called "barbie collies" by the working dog people) The show version barbie collie has bigger eyes, shorter snout and a more puppy like face and is not nearly as hard driven as the working type. Same holds with Huskys, and any other working breed that has a show version. And although its a fine point, bullys are a long way from being Amstaffs. A lot of Amstaffs can still work just fine, just not in the []

16. Marty

Marty Guest

Whats up with this shit?

17. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

The thread wasn't going in the right direction. It seemed no-one wanted to take time and think of a creative answer.

18. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

lol ...........

19. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

i was thinking the same thing,,,lol

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Well, the original post has been removed by their posters, as well as others, so this thread is now defunct. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.