1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Deos anyone live in a cold state and have their dogs outside?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Michael., Feb 4, 2015.

1. Michael.

Michael. Big Dog

Just wondering, my dog is an inside dog so I do not know. There is a big debate my friend and I are having about having outside dogs in the cold. Does anyone live in a cold state and have their APBT housed outside all the time, even in the freexing? I assume leaving them outside isn't the best option, but I assume some do, and safely. Apparently some facebook group went to some guys house and took his dog because it was outside al the time. Didn't look bad, but they mentioned the coat and how it bulls are not made to be outside in the cold. Here is one quote "Cold weather dogs have 2 coats. An undercoat and an overcoat. This dog is considered a short hair coat, it is not suitable for long exposures to cold."

2. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

There are a lot of people here that deal with cold weather and its doable but probably a lot more work.

3. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Wait a minute, a FB group took somebodies dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

people need to mind their own fucking business.

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

You sure haven't done much reading since you've been around here, my friend. There's members here that talk about and post pics of their dogs constantly in the cold states.

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

[​IMG]

I agree with feastdog.

Been keeping these mutts in sub zero temps for 2 decades and never have had an issue. Just be on point with checking their water and feeding them well and you'll be alright.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  7. david63

david63 CH Dog

I agree with feastdog too.

8. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

simple...good insulated box,,full of straw...they love it...

9. grove

grove Big Dog

Now it´s cold over here...morning 14°F...check dogs and straw...just fine, not sure if dogs love it but me ?... i hate it

10. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...i use the barly straw,,packs..at times..the odd dog grazes on it ..lol..has the healthy shits,,ever...lol..when ya put fresh in the box ,they seem to go mad for it..

11. grove

grove Big Dog

never use barly, where i´am at its only wheat straw...in autumn wood shavings b/c it´s better in rainy times...wet straw decay fast...but in cold sub zero climate straw is best...just check the chain fresh straw can tangled it

12. a yard up in canada (not sure if the vid will even work)

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1529905783946102&set=vb.100007800856820&type=2&theater[/video]

double walled dog house
    straw
    hot feed

guy takes care of his yard.

13. olddog

olddog Big Dog

I agree, when I lived up by Peoria, Ill. I built double walled insulated dog houses filled w/ straw. entrance went back and turned to protect from wind (didn't put up door covers as the sh!ts ripped them off faster than I could put them on). Got chicken necks and gizzards from butcher that I ground, then heated and mixed w/ kibble before feeding morning and evening. Dogs looked good and loved it. It was neat to see them come out of their dog houses in the morn. w/ steam coming off their bodies .

Olddog

14. The Handler

The Handler Big Dog

You have to stay on top of your game,keep there house off the ground,always full of straw, chicken rice and broth along with the dry, Thats the difference between life an death. Never cut corners

15. My dog stays in the house an he goes outside

Cuse city bulldog

16. AGK

[​IMG]

Winter doggin in the northeastern U.S. :lol:

17. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

He looks good, AGK.

18. AGK

Thanks, he's giving me the, you mother fucker look. :lol:

Just wanted to show the OP that these dogs can be kept outside in colder climates. You just have to be on your "A" game when it comes to their care in the colder months. I go through it every year, year after year now for 2 decades. Never lost a dog to the cold.

19. AGK

You will know if your dogs cold or not. They don't hide it very well. Ears and feet should be checked often. I do it every time I go out to chip ice from the water buckets. Vasaline on the paw pads a few times a week keeps their feet from chapping, chaffing or cracking at the pads. I'll also stick my hand in the sleeping chamber of their dog houses when I first go out in the morning to make sure it feels warm when the dog initially gets out to greet you.

It's not the easiest thing to have dogs in cold climate but it's possible with the right commitment to your hounds on your part.

20. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lol AGK I saved a few of those snow pics, every time the wife starts up about how the dogs are too cold I show her one of those pics like dammit if they can stand northern PA, our cold ain't shit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk