1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Denver, CO: Councilwoman shows support for pit bulls

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by ReleaseTheHounds, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Councilwoman shows support for pit bulls

written by: Jeffrey Wolf
    written by: Heidi McGuire
    Date last updated: 8/25/2009 8:52:21 PM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DENVER - Demonstrators came together in a peaceful protest against Denver's pit bull ban. A newly formed organization called Colorado Citizens Against Breed Bans joined forces with the California based DenverKillsDogs.com to get the city's attention on the 20-year-old ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to have a pit bull within the city limits.

"People do not need to be afraid of the pit bull or the bull breeds, they need to be afraid of people who are not responsible with their dogs whatever the breed," Englewood resident Linda Hart said.

Hart introduced Denver Councilwoman Carla Madison as a supporter of Colorado Citizens Against Breed Bans initiative to change the ordinance.
    "I love pit bulls, so I've been a sucker for this," Madison said.

But she added she's not for repealing the ban altogether.

"I think the ban in someway protects the animals because the pit bull is the choice breed of gang bangers, and if we can keep these animals in responsible homes then I think we have a better chance of changing the attitudes of what pit bulls are like," Madison said.

Madison's plan involves allowing Denver residents to apply for permits to have a pit bull. There would be a permit fee, and the owner would have to go through a background check, the dog would have to complete obedience courses, and animal control would do annual home visits.

Councilman Charlie Brown says with a $120 million budget shortfall in the city, this plan simply isn't feasible, and he whole heartedly supports the ban.

Brown also points out that a majority of those speaking out against it don't live in Denver.

"They're trying to tell us how to run our city and we have a strong heritage of local control, so thank you for coming here but we'll control our dog issues," he said.

Anna Milner says she would like to move back to Denver but the ban meant she and her 2-year-old pit had to move to Lakewood.

"I love Denver, I love the life, I love the people, I just don't like the laws," she said.

Madison pointed out at Tuesday's protest she would like to hear more from people living in Denver on the issue.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved)