1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Demodectic Mange (aka Demodex or "Red Mange")

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by miakoda, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Re: Demodectic Mange (aka Demodex or "Red Mange")

That is awesome prgress. That dog owes his life to you...and you've done an amazing thing. Thanks for being knowledgable in the subject and being able to save one like that. I think the key to the success was, of course, the good diet and the Ivermectin to kill the mites. All the other stuff was icing on the cake, and all good ideas...although Im not sure about the flea treatment during this time.

2. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

Re: Demodectic Mange (aka Demodex or "Red Mange")

the flea shampoo was an all natural shampoo with essential oils and neem oil, which is a natural insecticide for combating mites.. since the shampoo had the neem oil in it, i used it as his skin was so bad it would crack and bleed when i picked himup,, the shampoo actually softened his skin and hydrated it while the neem oil helped kill the mites.

and thanks:):) i worked really hard on him getting him better.. the sad part is his "owner" threw him on the streets at 2 1/2 months old.. i got him at 3 months old... with an old break in his right rear leg, the mange, and a genetically screwed up temperment...

Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Guest

Reps to you my dear for your hard work on this dog, Thank you for saving a lost life :D

4. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

thanks marty:)

5. Re: Demodectic Mange (aka Demodex or "Red Mange")

I just took in a young male Boston Terrier with a pretty bad case of D-mange. He's been to the vet and confirmed. Almost finished with his antibiotics, gets bathed in a benzoil peroxide prescription shampoo, and a daily regimine of Ivomec, and omega 3 suppliments. His skin is drying up well, the smell is not nearly as bad as it was.

Here is some background on him....well the ONLY background i have of him honestly. I know where this pup came from, i say pup because of how he acts and his looks, but i honestly have no idea his age. He had gotten loose from his tie out, and i watched in horror as 3 cars nearly hit him. I knocked on the door where he lived >i had seen him there for a few months< and there was no answer, i went to my car grabbed some bottles of water and found a "water bowl" on the porch, the water was green, the food bowl was empty and it was fast approaching 100 degrees. I noticed a neighbor outside so i went to speak with her. She told me he had recently been hit by a car. So i left my name and number on the door after the neighbor informed me that the owner was staying elsewhere due to an injury but someone had been checking on him. It has now been 5 weeks and the "owners" have never called me and i KNOW they've been home since my note is gone and so is the car from the driveway. He was caked in mud and nasty stuff, all his bones were protruding and upon a bath i found an old poorly healed broken rib.

My question is this, not that i have intentions of doing so, but curious just the same...since I highly doubt this is a case of a weakened immune system, rather due to poor care and poor diet. Would it be bad to breed him with a perfectly healthy female since pups get it from their Dam and not from their Sire? I just wondered because you read nothing but information of the mother passing it to the pups within the first few days >although it's not contageous nor is it genetic< The information seems so contradicting. But I have to say, a week and half into the heavy treatment and he is really frisky and playing and clearing up nicely. It will be great once his fur grows back.

6. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

cann i have your car keys for a day or 2? not that i have the intention of driving your car or something

demodex is no issue