1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

define game?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by marcw1, Oct 13, 2005.

1. marcw1

marcw1 Pup

What is your definition on game/gamebred??????

2. savage

savage Big Dog

Gameness is a willingness to succeed or overcome, no matter what hardship must be endured. A game dog is determined to beat its opponent, no matter what odds are stacked against it, even unto death. The quality of gameness should not be confused with prey drive or aggression, in a nutshell gameness is simply the will to win. This trait cannot be taught to a dog or a man. It is an innate quality extremely difficult to reproduce in dogs, yet one of the easiest to lose. if you breed for conformation in the Bull and Terrier breeds, you should not sacrifice gameness for the sake of conformation. This invisible inherited trait makes our breeds unique. It also passes on the steadfast rock-steady temperament that has made our dogs such wonderful companions.

3. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Ya gotta love Paul Skelton, he writes the best articles.....not bad for a Staffy Bull dude....;)

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

"rock-steady "

;)

Do a search of the forums.. there are plenty of good topics on definitions of gameness.. from all points of view..

5. smokey

smokey Pup

Gameness is when the desire to win overrides the will to live...

6. pulldoginks

pulldoginks Banned

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

www.m-w.com

Main Entry: game

Function: adjective
    1 a : having or showing a resolute unyielding spirit <game to the end> b : willing or ready to proceed <were game for anything>
    2 : of or relating to game <game laws>
    - game·ly adverb
    - game·ness noun

7. Gameness: It is a gauge of perseverance in the challenge at hand. It is the desire to continue its task regardless of anything else.

Gameness should not be confused in its used (as many confuse it). Gameness in dogs varies in degree (or intensity). Some will work its task eagerly for a few minutes and quit. These types of dogs have little "gameness" if any. Other dogs will work on its task longer regardless of tiredness, pain, etc. These dogs are considered more "game" than the previous dogs. The ultimate degree of "Gameness" is the unwillingness to cease regardless of anything (i.e. body exhaustion, pain, frustration, time elapsed, etc.). These last types of dogs will continue (if not stopped by a human) until death.

Mydawgs: try finding that as a quote anywhere! +)

8. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS NOT THIS AGAIN.
    Gameness in APBT's is a canine virtue that is most akin to the human virtue of unflagging courage. It is a determination to master any situation and never back down out of fear. It was developed in pit bulls by many generations of selective breeding. It is what allows a pit bull to keep fighting non-stop for two or more hours, in spite of broken bones, torn muscles, blood loss, dehydration, and exhaustion. But it is also valued by APBT owners who would never think of fighting their dogs. It is manifested in the can-do attitude of pit bulls toward any type of challenge, whether agility competitions, climbing up trees, or protecting their family against an armed attacker, etc.Generally speaking, a game dog is an emotionally stable, easy-going dog, especially good with kids. Gameness should not be confused with aggressiveness. There are plenty of aggressive dogs that are not game, and there are game pit bulls who are not aggressive toward other types of dogs. Aggressiveness will propell a dog into a fight but will only sustain him for the first few minutes. Gameness, on the other hand, will not necessarily make a dog fight-happy; but if the dog has no other choice but to fight, a game dog will fight until it wins or dies trying, and will keep going as long as necessary. Gameness is an inner quality of pit bulls. There is no way you can tell by looking at a pit bull whether it is deeply game or not. The only test--and for many years the main criterion for selecting a dog for breeding purposes--is actually fighting the dog to see how it stands up to other dogs that have likewise already proven their gameness in the pit. Dogs that are emotionally unstable, or that fear-bite human beings are generally not game. If you want a nice pit, you're generally better off getting one that has been game-bred. These dogs represent the truest exemplars of all the best qualities in the breed.

9. *yawn* time number 4,000,000,000,000 that this subject has been brought up :D

10. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

well this is a "game -dog " site... better than "look at my 1,000 lb monster and tell me u love him" threads...

11. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

Rocksteady Thats Funny

12. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Ooohhhh, not a challange???????? GD2 also quotes Mr. Skelton....I just love the way he writes about these dogs, his current love is for the SBT...but seems to know a lot about APBT. RH I like your words too, maybe I'll use them as well;)

13. Damn.....You didn't have to get all direct and to the point about it.......

Geesh.....

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I can see it now....6 pages and counting in 2 days,lmao.

15. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

"You can listen to all the experts and let them try and define the word "gameness" but the best to understand it, is to play the game........"

16. J Henry

J Henry Big Dog

Iron Mike put it the best way. I was once told that if you have to have gameness explaned to you, you would not understand.

17. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

18. Suki

Suki Guest

LOL!!!! you're funny!!!! It's interesting to read what people have to say, tho.....

19. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

you rock! LMAO

20. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

or the "what's so wrong with my rare blue dog" threads . . . :)