1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

'Dangerous dog' ban met with delight and disgust

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, May 3, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

New South Wales, Australia -- The father of a toddler attacked by a pitbull says he's thrilled NSW will ban them - but a breeder says "got more chance of getting bitten by a shark".

The father of Jordan Wisby said he was thrilled that dangerous breeds of dogs would be banned in NSW.

The five-year-old Sydney boy was seriously injured by a pitbull last week when he was walking home from school in Illawong, in Sydney's south.
    Premier Bob Carr said today that pitbull dogs together with three other breeds would be banned under new laws to be introduced in NSW.

"It's just been unbelievable," Stephen Wisby told smh.com.au.

"Our feet haven't even touched the ground since the attack," he said.

"The outcome of it all, the end result, the way it's headed - all that is great news. And our boy is alive and well and (you) can't get any happier news than that," he said.

But he warned it would take many years before the dogs were bred out in NSW and called for clearer regulations as to how dangerous dogs were controlled.

"There has to be a uniform way that these dogs are contained and it has to be done throughout the state accordingly."

Otherwise another attack would occur, he said.

But Michael Hallinan, who sells American pitbulls puppies for $400 each through Trading Post, described the breed as ``gentle giants''.

You've got more chance of getting bitten by a shark than a pitbull terrier,'' he said.

He blamed dog owners as the cause of any problems with their pets.

You sit any dog on a chain out the back, of course any dog is going to be aggressive,'' he said.

He said he has had no difficulty selling two litters of American pitbull puppies.

Most of the people that buy them are family people. They always get bought. They're a very popular dog,'' he said.

Mr Carr said laws would be introduced later this year to ban the sale, acquisition, breeding or giving away of pit bull terriers, American pitbulls, Japanese tosas, Argentinian fighting dogs and Brazilian fighting dogs.

The five breeds are already prohibited from import in Australia and owners must be over 18 and keep the dogs in secure enclosures.

While current owners will be able to keep their animals, the new laws will lead to the dogs effectively being bred out of existence, Mr Carr said.
    He said the community wanted the Government to rid the streets of dangerous breeds of dogs.

"Over the years, we have seen pit bulls or pit bull crosses cause death and destruction across NSW," Mr Carr said in a statement.

"It is clear the one way to minimise the risk of dog attacks is to ban these restrictive breeds."

The president of the NSW Canine Council, Keith Irwin, said the Government should fund responsible dog ownership courses rather than ban dangerous breeds.

He said he was deeply concerned about dog attacks but owners should be punished rather than the breeds themselves.

"What's the Premier going to do when a chihuahua bites someone? Is he going to ban them?" he said.

A 75-year-old man is also recovering in hospital after being attacked by two dogs - one of which was believed by police to be a pit bull-type breed - at Homebush in western Sydney yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2005
  2. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

"The outcome of it all, the end result, the way it's headed - all that is great news. And our boy is alive and well and tommyt can't get any happier news than that," he said.

What the hell is my name doing in here?

3. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

Get I'm gonna have a bad rep now:rolleyes:

*But on a more serious note*

I also agree you have a better chance getting bit by a shark and a pitbull, more bsl we don't need.

4. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

hey man, my name is in there too...

5. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

What the heck..lol my name is in that quote.. Ok marty what did you do?? lmao

You testing us to see if we are really reading these articles?? lol

6. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

lol that could be it, it works...:D

7. and now my name, what the hell is this?

8. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

what do i have to do with this huh

"The outcome of it all, the end result, the way it's headed - all that is great news. And our boy is alive and well and nappydawg can't get any happier news than that," he said.

9. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

what the hell? it's been a loooong day & when I read my name there, I was like "how the hell did my name get mentioned there?":p That's too funny!

10. X

X Banned

Lol, well at least you all are reading what he posts ;x

The reason it did that was because the guy that was quoted left out the word "you" where you seen your username. It was in brackets which displays your username in the thread when you view it. Ex: [ you ] (without spaces) ;)

11. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

oh i see thanks shon you are so f-in smart at this computer crap way to go

12. Kay

Kay Big Dog

My name wasn't in there :( and I looked twice LOL

13. Marty

Marty Guest

Lol Shon fixed it :)

14. sixkiller

sixkiller Banned

whatever happened to the world???