1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Damn skunks....

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 14rock, Oct 2, 2006.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Lets here the remedies for cleaning up a smelly dog. I've been in a tomato bath for well over an hour with one of the dogs involved in the skunk-tug-of-war...the other is at his home getting cleaned up. I've scrubbed and scrubbed, and cleaned, and scrubbed, deodorized, and scrubbed....and I can still barely walk up and feed him without covering my nose. The collars not salvageable, it retains the smell like no other...its laying outside along with all my clothes. No spare collars on-hand as I loaned my last back-up out to a friend, so sticking him on the chain is out of the question. I refuse to throw him in the kennel-dont trust em for nothing. Until I can make a temp. cow collar, or I can get my new order from Stillwater(btw-those 2ply nylon/2 ply seatbelt collars are the way to go .The other dog involved was wearing his new collar and I'm amazed at how well built they are-and affordable, especially in larger orders ;) ). Anyways, I need some ideas on how to make this more bearable.....I've tried it all.

Tomato bath

Water/Shampoo/Dog shampoo and scrubbing

Colognes

Chain smoking so I dont have to smell it...ha!

So lets here it, save my lungs, and give me something that WORKS! :D

2. NC

NC CH Dog

Tomato doesn't work... Vinegar helps, but they actually make a skunk stank removal spray.. not sure where they sell it though, I saw it on Mythbusters one night. Vingear got the stank out of the pants I was wearing when I got skunked.

3. magsgirl

magsgirl Pup

the home remedy for dogs is - one quart of 3% hyydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap . i've never had to try it but, it makes sense with the baking soda. good luck!!

4. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

Skunks ect. by Natural Chemistry is what I use and it's worked great! The web address on the bottle is www.naturalchemistry.com. It gets out other bad smells too. About a month ago I was in a field with my girl Mia and she found a dead deer. The deer was all bloated and she decided to go after it and, of course, she bit it right in the gut. Boom! It exploded all over her. Skunks ect. got that smell out. It's good stuff!

5. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

LMAO! I just have this pic in my head of you and the dog sitting in some tub full of tomato sauce, looking sad and pissed at the same time, with a clothespin on the end of your nose..LOL! Sorry Rock, ya know I love ya, but its kinda funny. I'll see what I can find out. My uncle used to trap skunks as a kid, he'll know how to get the smell out.

Double 00 Buck likes this.
  6. truegames

truegames Big Dog

Don't know what to tell you one of my males got sprayed by a rabid skunk and had to be quarantined in the HS for 45 days I don't know what they used on him but it worked I went to check on him the next day and he didn't smell at all.

7. well tomato juice works,but it just takes about 12 hours or so to get rid of it.but what i always did was just wash him down with what i normally used wich was oatmeal shampoo,then i would towl dry him off and cover the dog nice and heavy in baking soda and leave it sit as long as i could but no less than about 10 minutes,and it works like a charm rock.now when i was growing up and one of my dads hunting dogs got sprayed he would bath em in hot soapy water then dump a gallon of white vinegar over them before the rinse off and that worked well to.just be sure to cover the whole dog in the vinegar when you dump it on em.now this last one is what my grandpa used,but you have got to do it with extreme caution and not get it in the dogs eyes or soak him in it so it dont burn his skin.get some ammonia,then take a dry or damp wash rag dont wet it just slightly damp then give the dog a good wetting but dont soak him just wet the hair on em so it dont get on their skin,it;s pretty much just a wipe down but dont get the hair to wet or you will get the skin.now when your wiping him down do it in the direction that his hair has growed in never go against the grain.and again dont wet him down with it,because when a skunk sprays a dog it doesnt spary the skin it just gets the hair and the spray only stays on the hair,now around the face,the belly where the bare skin is,or the bare parts if his paws you gotta be carefull.now after you do this give him a nice bath but during this make sure none of the water gets in his ears or eyes cause it's got the ammonia in it.all 3 of these will work quick and you will hardly be able to tell that the dog has been sprayed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  8. 305APBT

305APBT Big Dog

Well we found out what a skunk smells like yesterday. My female was chasing what I thought to be a cat and later to find out was a skunk. The moment I realized what was happening it was too late the tail was vertical and my dog was frozen took a point blank shot to the face. Never having dealt with a skunk I would describe it almost like being pepper sprayed. Used tomato juice, dog shampoo and towel dried. Threw away the towel and crated her for the night. Next day(Fri 13th dun dun dun) she has a slight pepper tone upon a close smell but 1000x less than pre-bathing. I think being able to take care of the situation right away greatly helped to reduce smell which let me tell you can be a very loud. Enough to make me throw up.

9. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Had to use this formula 2 diff times. Damn dog killed the first skunk and took a full blast . looked up this formula on the web and shit worked like a charm

10. ebady23

ebady23 Pup

The problem you may have from here on is that if there's a skunk in the area they'll find it. I had an extremely hard worker; he worked hard at finding and killing every skunk he could find and the smell didn't bother him one bit. Good luck but I used tomato juice/soap and water and it will get rid of the smell eventually but I had to get rid of the collars.