1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Cycle Roadwork VS Treadmill

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by MASON, Jun 7, 2006.

1. MASON

MASON Big Dog

I was wondering if anyone knew the advantages/disadvantages of treadmill work versus roadwork? Does treadmill work concentrate on working certain muscle groups, or do both workouts produce the same results? My male pup just turned 11 months and we have started light conditioning. We do roadwork on a bicycle two times a week for 15 minutes and go for hand walks on the days between. On the weekend he works the flirt pole for 10 minutes and his diet consists of Canidae in the morn and raw chicken breasts or two thighs in the evening. We have been going at it for two weeks and so far so good. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mason

2. Attila

Attila Guest

sounds good just don't run him over. I used to run with mine but I am no longer able to run but I do walk them several miles aday. I have been contimplaiting the bike thing too I have one with four wheels. I had an event with a grenade that does not allow for me to do impact work on me so I was thinking of hooking the harness cables to an eye hook on the front of my quadrobike and doing the same and hope they don't go for a cat in the deep ditches we have out in the country. Have to figure out a way to keep them in line though like a sled team. maybe hang a stuffed cat from a pole in front of them like on little rascals. lol. just kidding. I used to ride a bicycle back when I was younger with my wolves and it worked great as they can travel many miles quite quickly. And even in my best years I couldn't keep up running with them. Used to have a rig that hooked to the rack on the back so that the dog was a bout 3 feet out from the bick and short enough lead off of it to keep him from turning in to the bike. Just used a peice of conduit and a chain. drilled four holes so I could run bolts through it and another piece of metal to clamp it down good on the rack.. Let me tell you know while it is on my mind never hold that leash in your hand. If he goes to one side you will eat pavement or gravel trust me it sucks big time.

William

3. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

i would choos treadmill

4. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

i wouldn't work him at all since he is a young pup. i would just let fully develope and start working him at bout 16 months or so.

5. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

if you decide to do the road work...make sure you keep a close eye on your dogs paw pads....gravel and pavement do a number on them pretty fast

6. MASON

MASON Big Dog

We are not doing all out work just light conditioning. Bike rides for 15 min at two times a week isn't that much. As he gets older then I will turn it up a few notches but I never over work him or push him to his limit.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I'd prefer the roadwork just for the simple fact I know what a treadmill does for the human body, and its better than nothing, but its far from comparing to getting out and hitting the pavement.

8. MASON

MASON Big Dog

Thanks for the advice..

9. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

I like the road work, you can go and get some fresh air with the dog. Make sure he/she is running on the grass though, as stated before.

But dont over work a young dog!!

10. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

i do road work with mine and actually have him trained to run next to the bike off lead. Before anyone gets exited i invested some money in a high quality shock collar that pro bird dog trainers use. If u ever have any problems training ur dog invest in one, it'll make a huge difference.

11. Attila

Attila Guest

Ya shock collars give a certain edge on training. I hate it when my dog presses the button though those things really make your parts tingle. ha ok so how effective is it. does it jolt the dog enough to stop him or just get his attention. I have never tried it but I did have a dog I was temped to once. I have a cattle prod for when the ram sheep gets loose a 300 pound ram can mess your day up. It will put him down. I have hit my own arm when I got caught off guard and got one in the gut. I missed and hit myself. Thats ok though I filled the freezer when I got up. So ah how well does it work?

12. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

well the collar i have has levels 1 thru 15, 15 being the highest and let me tell u i put it on level 6 when i first got it and put my fingertips on it and lets just say it didn't tickle lol. I have had to turn it up to 15 once because he was loose in field and started chasing some deer and yea he jumped up when i hit the button and quickly ran back to me. The thing with this collar is that it has a tone button that u use together with the actual shock. Whenever u have to shock the dog u press the tone button so he learns that the tone comes along with the shock. After a while of training the dog learns this and u no longer have to use the shock, just the tone. My dog is no small puppy, he's 70lbs and all drive but i have no problem controlling him when he's off lead. the level i usually keep the collar at is about 10 so he gets the point immediately if i have to use it. I believe the range on the collar i have is 300 hundred yards, but u can get one identical that has a range of over 2000 yards. For the money i spent its worth it, actually now that i think about it its not all that much around $150. If anyone is interested pm me and ill let u know where u can get them.

13. pitpal

pitpal Pup

please keep your apbt on a leash. we have enough problems as it is.

14. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

pitpal, my apbt is heavily trained I don't have a worry in my mind when he runs next to me. I always bring a lead with me just in case someone's dog decides to come towards us but he will never stray away from my side while out for a run.

15. rayray

rayray Pup

nice dog what n the hell happend 2 his tail???? r u nuts

16. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

lol rayray he isn't full apbt, he's half boxer and the people i got him from had all the pups tails docked but thanx for the compliment