1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Cull and Curr questions

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BostonBully, Jun 25, 2009.

1. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I see time and time again people saying to cull and cull hard. When people say this are they saying to put down dogs or get them fixed? Unless a dog has an obvious physical defect I can't see why you would put down a pup. I also can't see putting down an older dog that may not work out unless it is HA. I would just get it fixed. What reasons do people cull for?

I also don't know how people can tell a curr or not. If your not putting your dog in the [] or hunting with them how could you tell if a dog was a curr? Except for an obvious extremely nervous dog or other obvious fault.

I'm just trying to learn.

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

either or. simply said- removing them from the gene pool.

3. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

That was a good enuff answer RR...

4. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

just changed my mind about my post.... lets just say there would be better dogs if folks had the balls to cull more.

Vic

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  5. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Unless the dog is HA or is completely unhealthy I Do not see why you have to play God and kill an innocent pup. You have your goal in your breeding program and that is fine, but it does not mean you can't fix the dog and give him a good home, everydog deserves a chance to live. What if your parents thought you were a curr and adopted your ass out or abadoned you for not being what they expected of you? A lot of people talk on this forum about their dogs being their kids this and that, well by talking to like this they are contradicting themselves.:mad:

6. InBearsMemory

InBearsMemory Big Dog

I don't think a dog has to be put down if it doesn't fit the standard but a responsible breeder should at least get it fixed or have a contract in place to get it fixed if it is to be placed in a pet home. Selling sub par animals intact for every Joe Blow to breed is what ruins any dog breed in the long run in my opinion.

7. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

And its lames who think like you that are peddling tons of subpar puppies because they don't have the balls to cull... Judging from some of your past post,I know you gonna reply with some tree hugging "save the world" post but save it... Dogs need to be culled,just like some parents shouldve culled... Lol

8. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

shelters are already full of curs

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Culling of the bad makes more room for the good.I wouldn't hardly call it playing God.I figure the pups wouldn't be here if the breeder didn't breed them anyway,just cull in as easy method as possible,a bullet between the eyes is as near painless as I can think of.There's not much reason of culling a pup unless of a deformity.When the dog is older you can tell more what your dealing with.I know alot of people would never think of culling but that's what put this breed where it is.As far as my dogs being like my children,as much as I like them(and I do)they are not even in the same realm as my children.Although the way the world is maybe more parents need to spay and neuter,LOL:)

10. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

To much breeding,not enough culling,there are not enough keepers.
    No wonder we face Bull Shit Legislation

11. Pitless2208

Pitless2208 Big Dog

Culling is far from just "killing innocent puppies." It is absolutely necessary in any breeding program.

There's an old saying that I quite like- "keep the best and cull the rest." This breed would be in a far better place right now if breeders culled more. If a person does not have the heart to do it then they have no buisness breeding. Period.

As far as fixing culls and placing them into "pet" homes (talking strickly gamebred bulldogs here mind you). Good homes just looking for a "pet" that actually KNOW these dogs and how to handle them are few and far between.

Take a look at your local shelter...plenty of decent pets in there. There is no reason for a breeder to be placing even more subpar dogs into the hands of the public.

as for the human comparison...I won't go there. The two are not comparable.

12. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

as far as the humans go hell they should be cuuled also!!! Look at how many are in foster homes or just plan homeless. The shi^% aint right if you can't provide for them don't have them or atleast cull them.

I have been homeless and know what it is like and it sucks now i am back on my feet and have two wonderful kids that i love to death!!!!

13. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Certain people who are after results have many dogs to create the few they like. They are not be able to find homes for all the dogs they breed nor will they feel safe to put them all out there

14. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I love keyboard warriors! I will ignore your pathetic response. Actually, I do not breed dogs and I would never do it because there are plenty of homeless dogs and breeders out there if I ever want another one. All my pets are fixed because I do not believe in making profit in breeding animals or risking the pups ending is misfortune so I can have a liter. Now that I think about it, your parents should have culled you because you seem to be very rude and ignorant. We do not need any more aholes humans like you running around the world being rude to others. If you disagree with someone's opinion express it without being disrespectful, Too bad your parents did not put you down because you have unecessary bad human traits :) hopefully you do not pass your flaws to your offspring.

15. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

THis is a much better response, thank you for the respectful answer:)

16. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

You make a very good point..Do you think there should be less breeding yearly in order to have less chances of having to put down these dogs. I read that most reputable breeders only have 1 or liters a year. what do you think?

17. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Sorry to hear that:(

18. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Every breeder of a domestic animal should have a culling process. People are the one who change nature in a sense, in the wild the weak die or get left out of the breeding cycle for various reasons. Every breeder should take responsibility for what they create, that means culling what doesnt fit the bill. Its not cruel, its being responsible. If i breed a litter of dogs that are unstable, then its my responsibility to fix the problem. You cant just leave it there just because its cute or because you have an attachment to it. This is why we have so many strays walkin the streets and dogs in shelters. People need to do whats necessary reguardless of the public thinks.

19. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

20. some very good points were made. culling a dog is never an easy thing to do but is 100% neccesary. if you don't have the heart to do it, then you shouldn't ever breed dogs. a good dogman will keep all of his pups and allow them to come into their own before deciding what needs to be done. spaying and neutering will ensure the new owner won't be able to peddle off pretty papers but people looking for a pet rarely look for a gamebred dog. most petbull owners look more for UKC and bully type dogs, it's just a fact. the dog is better off taking a dirt nap, imo. just because a dog proved to be a cur doesn't mean he won't make headlines for attacking some poodle in a dog park either. i know that if i allow a gamebred litter into this world, i'll damn sure take the ones out of here that need be.