1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Crenshaw keep

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by csotelo9388, Sep 24, 2010.

1. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Stratton did a road work keep for his dogs. He has a diiff viewpoint on keeps than some of the old timers. Only workn em 2-3 days a week up untill the show.

2. old goat

old goat CH Dog

and stratton writes books . what else does he do ?

3. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

That wasn't Stratton's keep. It was Mafie's. I think he wrote books also.

4. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

I always worked my dogs 3 day on one day of rest it is so easy to over work a dog . have seen way too many dogs over worked by the time they got to the box they were stale !!!

OTD

5. hardluck

hardluck Banned

so your only giving your dog 1 day out the week of rest? I would think that is the definition of being over worked. i do the
    2on
    1off
    2on
    1off
    2on
    2off
    repeat. its cali jacks schedule basically. if it works for you then more power to you but i dont think the dog has time to recover from a real heavy day of work with 1 day out the week of rest

6. old goat

old goat CH Dog

damn where do y'all come up with some of this stuff . cali jack hihi you better learn from someone else . 6 days on 1 day off .

7. hardluck

hardluck Banned

i know cali jack is not liked lol. i like the on and off schedule of his not the keep it self.im not at all saying he is a great, but what would you rather recommend doing. i dont think 6 days on 1 day of is a good enough recovery. what type of schedule would be better then to go by.

8. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Stale, I agree OTD. That is why guys would say I don't understand why he gassed.He looked so much better in his rolls.Thats because the dog was overworked. Some would have been better to just take them off the chain and do some handwalking. Rest is so important.Maf's keep was in one of Stratton's books.It is basically a safe keep that won't overwork your dog.Everyone has a different method of a keep.Some work some don't.It also has a lot tod with your dog.What kind of worker is the dog?What will the dog do (treadmill.jenny,swimming,flirt,walking ).I have seen guys talk about a keep but nothing is set in stone.What about working a dog that someone sent you? My mentor would get dogs flown in from all parts of the country and he would work them.Try putting one in shape that doesn't even know how to walk on a leash yet or been off the farm in his life.

9. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Great points...having the right dog in and out of the [] is important. A dog that likes to work is a real treat to condition. But working a dog that hasn't let his yard or can't walk on a leash...you got your work cut out for you!

10. madboy

madboy Big Dog

that sounds real nice with an extra day on top...............with a 3 day rest,keeps u out of trouble too !

11. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Just out of curiosity how far was the walk to the park? Rough guess miles or minutes.

12. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

probably long enough for the dog to cool off or empty out. depends if you are walking before or after work.

13. determination

determination Big Dog

i think hand walking roadwork can get the dogs heart rate up and can be a good workout deffantly when a dog pulls hard for a few miles more or less and trys to clime every tree and chase every animal it sees is it the best way to condition a dog guess it (DEPENDS ON THE DOG) i like my dog to run buy me on the bike or pull me def when you get going 20 mph fregit a car its free tranportation all u need is a good apbt and a bike and you save alot on gas lol

14. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Everyone has different methods on conditioning.I knew these guys that was partners and the one guy was my mentor.He said I will teach u everything I have learned,this will save u a lot of time and expense.Then he said I only have 2 stipulations (1) don't ever tell anyone what I teach you,even my partners (2) you help me with the dogs.Now I took what he taught me and I added to it and subtracted some things. So I developed my own way eventually.My point, two dog people don't condition exactly the same .Nobody can say for sure what another man did ,or didn't do unless you was there.You can guess ,and someone can tell u that they was there, but do u know for sure they are telling you the truth?

15. cincyboy

cincyboy Big Dog

i think ur right cause i have witness people work dogs dogs and not use a mill cause the dogs would simply not run on them

16. cincyboy

cincyboy Big Dog

hit the nail on the head i think poelpe like the mill so much cause their too lazy or dont have time for the road work

17. cincyboy

cincyboy Big Dog

preach!!!!

18. phill

phill Top Dog

i agree we do alot of walking the dogs look good are good but i see that their not holding up good enough between the holding ring then the show ring they are winded and one of my female champs gets borderline heatstrokes after her class i belive it's cus they are not ran enough gonna work on her i'm sure she'll make grand champ the older female knows when and when not to exert herself ,, a stamina prolbem with the yunger ones

19. Ozdawg

Ozdawg Pup

With all the snitches in the neighbourhoods these days, how do you condition a dog in the suburbs?

20. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Conditioning a dog doesnt mean you're fighting them. You condition for conf shows, weight pulls, hog hunting, etc. Getting them to peak physical condition for whatever task you plan on setting before them.