1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Crenshaw keep

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by csotelo9388, Sep 24, 2010.

1. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

know there not going to tell everything just need a little help

2. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

keeps never go exactly on schedule because time is not a thing you can control also a dog is not a machine so things will change.

3. A keep is what you make out of it! You should know what type of style your dog has to condition to suit his style of go jn the show common sense people!;)

4. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

is it possible that u can do keep w/out using a mill by simple walking ur dog, flirt fole, spring pole and chain pull? i thot walking ur dog can help u build good wind. just correct me if im wrong. tnx God bless

5. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

Sure U can I like mills but have had hound that would not run a mill at all . Than U find what the dog likes doing and use that to put him in shape .Trick is getting the heart rate up !!!

6. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

In terms of keeping a dog in good condition on a continuous basis without trying to peak for a particular performance, how about hand walking in conjunction with toy/ball chasing? My dogs love to chase Hurleys. I can get them a great workout in about 1/2 hour. I have two Hurleys, and the dog will run to get the one I have thrown, run toward me, drop the Hurley in front of me, and chase the second I have just thrown. This will go on continuously with occasional breaks. Tug of war is thrown into this routine. That is preceeded and followed by a short hand walk. This is an early evening workout before dinner. In the morning I walk them. The problem with walking 10 miles a day is that if you are trying to keep numerous dogs in good shape, you either have to walk the whole pack or walk each one individually, which would mean that you either have to have a team of assistants or walk enough to exhaust yourself and not have time for anything else.

This brings up another point - is it better for a dog or person getting ready for an extreme sport to be out of shape and then get into shape, or is it better to stay in continuously good shape with plenty of rest and then get into peak condition when the event draws near? For example, does a marathon runner not run for months at a time, then start running a couple months before the event, or does he have a less challenging routine of running shorter distances and then 2 months before the event start running greater distances?

I have to exercise my guys every day or they don't seem happy.

7. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

The watch word is stale I never liked to keep my dogs to thin and in fine shape all the time . I had a 20 ft 3/4 chain with the dog house 4 ft off the ground and they would be put on that 30 days before I started working them . also hand walked every night about 2 miles 30 days before and at that time I would change there diet to the keep food ....OTD

8. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Old Time gave some good advice.I had a several dogs that wouldn't work on a mill.Anything that gets the heart rate up will work swimming, flirt pole,walking next to a car or bike.I'm a big believer in handwalking.

9. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

tnx. sir. actually I just hand walk my dog for 2 hours. coz I don't have a mill plus I play with him tug of war and spring pole. nway guys do u know some famous dogs that have been conditions ow/out a mill? or work out keep w/out a mill? tnx.

10. I always preferred swimming to long boring hand walks. But not everyone has access or climate for it.

11. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

I like to try swimming but they never allow my dog in the pool. ;) nway wats the benifits of swimming? building muscle, wind or both?

12. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Was he wearing trunks? No nudity allowed. lol

13. woodall

woodall Pup

bull shit he walked them his self i live on the same road he did when he had dogs sometime a friend might help and that wa sthe keep from the book its close but not exactly what he did crenshaw did lots of hand walking and it does add wind

14. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

hehehe. ;)

15. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

hehehe ;) I try to keep him in shorts. he doesn't like it. ;)

16. All of the above. Used to have a pond and once they get in, it is hard to get them out. Used to have a lot of birds there and, that used to help.

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

they will build up good muscle and wind .

18. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

wow. never tot swimming wud be a best tool for total workout. tnx sir.

19. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you need to think if you got in the pool to swim what does it do . it works all the muscles . you will get good air and learn muscle .

20. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

Sure dogs that would not work a mill M&K CH COCO , Giroux Spice that beat sueboy , Keystoneys kids & yankee Boys ch tiger , Fitches Ch jackhammer and B & W ch joker would not work mills

OTD