1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

crate size for a pit bull

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by d-phi931, Jun 9, 2006.

1. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

what is a good size crate for a pit bull? Here are the sizes i was thinking 48L x 30W x 33H" or 42L x 28W x 31H". please somebody let me know and if you know of a good place to buy them that would help to. thanks

2. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

If you are looking for a crate just to keep them in temporarily while you are out(work, school, whatever). I have all of mine in crates that are just big enough for them and their water & food bowls, bedding, and a toy or 2. I wouldnt get one that is to big. If they have too much room to move around, they may be more likely to have "accidents"

3. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

so what is a good size i really don't want them to be cramped in while i'm at work or something what are the size i mentioned entirely too big what are some sizes yall would suggest(keep in mind i do want it to have enough room to be comfortable. please help.

4. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

I'd get a boxer sized crate for a pup, and if the dog gets to restless when it gets older I'd get a german sheperd sized one. I have one boxer sized crate and one sheperd sized one my dogs don't really mind being put in either or. Sometimes I put the older one in the smaller crate and she does just fine it's actually the recommended size for her.

5. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

I went with this size, 36" D x 27" H x 24". I have a 45 lb dog. It depends on the size of your dog, but this size should be sufficient enough for dogs up to 50 lbs. You only want it big enough that the dog is able to stand & turn, don't worry, they're pretty comfortable in it. Like BlaizenJ said, if it's too big, you're more likely to have accidents. I got mine at petsmart, you can probably find it somewhere else for a little cheaper though.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

My dogs all have the Great Dane sized crates (52x something or other). IMO, a crate can NEVER be too big for an animal. That whole crap about a dog just needing enough room to turn around in is just that.....crap. Who wants to be cooped up in something it can't even sit up straight in or lie down on it's side in? Not me!

As far as a puppy having accidents in his crate, he's gonna have them regardless of crate size if he's gotta go at that very instant. It's up to the owner to understand that a pup needs to be let out every 1-4 hours depending on age. As far as an adult going in his kennel, again, he/she will go if left in there for an indefinitely period of time & cannot hold it any longer. If the dog does it anyways, then lack of training is the cause.

1 person likes this.
  7. Attila

Attila Guest

I concur. Totally agree on having room to move.

8. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Mine have enough room to sit up straight and move a little, just not enough room to "romp around" in the crate. Guess I should have been more specific.

9. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I agree with this,,I would rather clean up crap that is in a neat pile in one corner of the crate instead of having it smeared all over the inside and on the dog,,if there isn't enough room that is what will happen,,,paid my dues on that one.

10. Attila

Attila Guest

That's exactly why I like some room. Same deal what a mess. I can handle any thing but poop I get sick everytime. I can handle rotten dead things, stepping through the dead in combat but crap turns my stomach. I would rather the dog not be covered in it and I can just spray out the kennel then scrub and sanitize it.

11. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

The rule of thumb is that the dog should be able to stand straight up and its head not touch the top of the crate. so Look at the size of your dog and stand it next to the crate you are thinking about getting. if it can stand then the other measurements will be sufficient for it to lay down and turn around okay.

as far as accidents go... I would rather clean up the mess and bathe the dog then to inadvertantly support the dog messing in the crate. If you make the crate too big there is no reason for your dog not to go in the crate. You want them to learn to hold it, not to crap in one side and sleep in the other. If you do crap in your crate then you have to sit in it... thats how they learn not to do it. They hate sitting in crap and the inevitable bath that comes as a result. Negative reinforcement to some... plain old logic to me.

12. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

its been my experiences that puppies,,just like human babies really don't care if they are sitting in crap,,if they are whelped in a home that didn't clean up after them in a timely manner,,then they learn to be what I call a "dirty dog" and they walk in it and step in it,,I would rather them crap in one corner and be able to move away from it so that they do learn not to be near it,,I don't want them use to sitting in it,,when they are puppies they can't hold it long,,I am not talking about adults.

13. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Respectfully I disagree, its my experiece that dogs of any age do not like to sit in thier own excrement. as evidence when you whelp a litter they will, as soon as they have the legs to carry them... poop as far from where they sleep as possible. For instance my pups where whelped in a plastic pool they would climb out of the pool, poop, then climb back in to sleep... its instinctive not a learned behavior.
    Crate training is based primarily on the premise that the dog will not (if at all possible) mess in its sleeping area. Of course there are limitations as to how long it can possibly hold its bladder and bowels, depending on feeding/ drinking schedule, age, sex (girls tend to hold it better then boys), and individual dogs abilities.

I crate train and with great success, and if the kennel is too large I will block off a portion of the crate for the soul purpose of making them want to hold it.