1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Conditioning questions. (long)

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by 40lbRed, Mar 4, 2009.

1. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I didn't see this in any of the other replies. If I am double posting it, I am sorry. But....could it be that you are giving her too much fish oil? Depending on her body weight and the size of the fish oil caps, you may need to supplement only once a day instead of twice. My 60lb male gets a 1000mg capsule in the morning only. I think if I gave him more he would have loose stool. Your dog also may be developing a intolerance to the food type. I know evo is supposed to be one of the best feeds out there but you may, for example, need to swap from the beef to the chicken.

2. Oh gosh, where do I start?:confused::rolleyes:

Oh Yes, FIRST OF ALL, water does NOT contain fat. So "boiling" it will not reduce the fat content in water. Water used to be boiled because its quality was poor and might have carry things that would make a dog in a keep sick.

Ok, on the loose stool. A dog stool will change in "looks" within the same day. The first feces of the day (or whenever you take him out) could be from the previous to last feeding. The second and/or third bowel movement may be from his last meal. The soft stool might be the end side of the bowel movement that was not expelled previously. IMHO, if the dog is not defecating this way ALL THE TIME, then, there is not much to worry about. It is a normal part of their digestion.

I personally would NOT recommend feeding a dog less than 8 HOURS before training. Why? For several reasons but the easiest to understand is that the body needs energy to digest AND exercise. If the body has to split their energy, then, exercise output will not be as effective as if all energy resources were concentrated on one task...either digestion or exercising. Again, there are other reasons why it is not ideal to feed so close to exercise time. I would actually choose to feed an 1-2 hours after if kibble or 30-45 minutes if raw.

What else? lol

Oh yes, do not let the dog drink water after working out. The dog might be panting and will swallow a lot of air while drinking or eating....

Well, if you have read my thoughts on things, you should know what the point would be. If everyone did everything the same, then, it would be 100% about which dog is better. Since each of us do things differently, the Don Mayfields of the world can successfully win with B level dogs against A level competition.

Ah yes.....

Please do not debilitate and hinder your dog by ASSuming human metabolism and way of eating for training will be the same for a dog. It is in fact counter productive to do this. In addition, loading with carbs will not improve long term performance. In fact, it will make a dog run hot a lot sooner.

If I missed something, please point it out. I will be waiting in my corner.:p:D

3. game_test

game_test Top Dog

nevermind im a dork

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  4. Game Test, I did not contradict what you stated and repeated. I did however add a clarification since others might erroneously assume carb loading is the way to go. I did not say YOU stated carb loading was fine.

¿Comprendes amigo?

5. game_test

game_test Top Dog

si, me estupido. lol

6. Hey man :mad:.....you just said "Yes, my stupid man" I hope that was unintentional.

7. game_test

game_test Top Dog

can you tell i havent had much time with my rosetta stone yet lol

sorry RH :o

8. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

we boil the water then put the food in it for a certain amount of time. the fat from the food rises to the top of the boiling water. then it must be skimmed off. then the water is drained and the food given.

9. OK, I understand what you meant now.

Curious, are you saying you do not give your dogs "fat" in their meals?

Why do you do remove the fat from the kibble?

10. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

no we don't remove all the fat. it's not for the entire keep. just to get to the weight i need him to be at. it's done progressively. this way he doesn't drop more than a pound a week. usually not even that much. there's still fat in the food at all times. just not as much the more you boil it and skim it. i think it's easier this way. they still get the other nutrients from the kibble. this is only done so we don't reduce the amount of kibble fed.

11. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

"Ok, on the loose stool. A dog stool will change in "looks" within the same day. The first feces of the day (or whenever you take him out) could be from the previous to last feeding. The second and/or third bowel movement may be from his last meal. The soft stool might be the end side of the bowel movement that was not expelled previously".

I agree w/ this. I usually work my dog in the am & he usually empties twice on our walks. The 2nd bowel movement is usually a little softer, but not runny. So I wouldn't worry too much, unless it is runny all the time.

Mel

12. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Hey Prpit, other than the fat, wouldn't it also remove some of the nutrients since the water is also drained?

Mel

13. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

not so much that isn't replaced with the supplements added. but yeah there is almost certainly going to be some nutrients lost. but like boiling chicken, fat tends to float to the top. i think this process is a lil easier than switching the amount of food. as you know that had my head spinning in circles.;) i got this feed keep from an old friend. he could explain it better than me.

14. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Please do not debilitate and hinder your dog by ASSuming human metabolism and way of eating for training will be the same for a dog. It is in fact counter productive to do this. In addition, loading with carbs will not improve long term performance. In fact, it will make a dog run hot a lot sooner.

Thank you rocky,ive been trying to tell my muscle head buddy this for a while but he wont listen.He thinks if it works for a human it works for a dog ..

15. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

rocky, i will be in the other corner any day mate, lol. good on ya bud.:D
    and i hope you understood my post mate. ie: dont let them gulp water.
    ill add to that in saying that i usually cup my hand to let them drink a bit at a time. just enough...........

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
  16. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Thanks, for all the replies. I was down in N.O., La for a week so I'll get back into her conditioning routine this week and keep all this in mind.