1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Conditioning questions. (long)

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by 40lbRed, Mar 4, 2009.

1. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Hi, all. I just had some questions regarding my dogs conditioning. On about half the mornings (depending on weather) I get up around 4:45, I hand walk her for a half hour feed 1.25cups of EVO with water mixed and a fish oil pill. The other mornings i just take her out let her clear herself, then feed her 1 cup EVO. She then is crated untill 3:15, I then hand wak for 20 minutes, play incline fetch for about 20 minutes, let her have some water, hand walk for 10 minutes, play fetch on flat ground for about 25 minutes, then do hand walking for about a half hour. She then will be fed 1.25 cups of EVO with water mixed and fish oil pill. My first questions is, does this sound like a resonable routine? Second, after incline fetch she seems to get the runs a little even though her stool earlier was solid. Is this because the exercise? She is conditioning very well, could I be giving her too much food?

2. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

It's hard to tell but my ? to you is how long do you wait before you feed her after her exercise?

3. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

After the hand walking I give it to her with-in 5 minutes.

4. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

You need to let the dog cool down first prob anywhere from like 45mins to an hour. She still might be racing inside that it maybe upsetting her stomach alittle.;)

5. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

this may be just me, but i do not feed them until after they are done working. i think it's quite possible she's having loose stools b/c of you feeding her before work. i couldn't say that for 100% but i don't feed anything until after the complete workday is over. i'm too worried about them twisting their gut.

6. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

Good point there prpitdawg! ;)

7. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

Before you start working her walk her until she empties out

8. '100% agree with you!

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Dogs do not metabolize food well if they have adrenaline in their system. So keep that in mind when you feed. Also if you feed her that close to her work out you run the risk of bloat or torsion. A good rule to go by is wait at least 45-1hr after exercise before you feed. Also let her stay kenneled for at least 45 after she eats so her body can start to break down the food.

The amount you are feeding her sounds ok. Many people make the mistake of cutting food and upping the workout. That is not good, dogs need those calories to burn while they work out. I would suggest you go to feeding 2x a day instead of 3. Less chance for bloat that way. If you notice that she doesn't seem right after the workout you may need to increase the amount you feed. I made the mistake of not increasing the food intake when I increased my workout and made my dog really sick. How much does she weigh?

10. game_test

game_test Top Dog

I only feed my dogs once a day whether they are working or not, but a working dog gets more food than he normally does. they get weighed often and feed is adjusted accordingly to maintain weight. they should be completely empty before any work in order to maximize the benefit and ability to work hard. working out sucks when you feel full. about 30-45 afterward when the dog is cooled off and had his rubdown i feed.

11. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

i have always fed between 15/20 minutes after the workout, they absorb more nutrients and it spikes there insulin production. i would never wait more then 30 minutes after the workout to feed. and before the rubdown. the rubdown is not just to make them feel good its to rub the nutrients through there muscles....

12. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Let me clear a couple things up. She only eats 2 meals a day, I just listed two different morning meals depending on if i walk her or not. She also hasn't eaten in more than 8 hours before ANY exercise, morning or afternoon.

13. game_test

game_test Top Dog

here is my take. when i train i have a 40 gram protein shake with 62 grams of quick absorbing carbs( mainly maltodextrin) after a workout. whether its MMA or weightlifting/cardio. the quick absorbing carbohydrate liquid spikes insulin and shuttles protein, glutamine, and amino acids to the muscle cells. then i eat whole food within an hour.eating whole food takes about 2 hours for your body to process, way past the time window where an insulin spike would be beneficial. it would be better to give some RF1 or vertex in water directly after ( withiN 30 minutes) and food a bit later.

as far as the rubdown, IMo it is to relieve tension from lactic acid buildup and to reduce soreness the next day. you cannot rub nutrients through muscle tissue.

to each his own these are just my humble opinions.

14. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

i can see some of you points but....its been said before...if everyone in the game was the same what would be the point ;)

15. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

i agree about the rubdown. but i'd add one more thing that i think is also important about the rubdown imo. it's an excellent time to do some bonding. i know you bond all through the workout, but i think the rubdown is the best time. i'll go as far as to talk to my dogs and tell them how good they did. they may not be able to understand my words, but they understand my emotion. while they love to work, i can tell they really love a good rubdown by the way the get excited when they see the bottle of liniment.

16. game_test

game_test Top Dog

thats the great thing about competition. i completely agree with you:D

17. NOTK

NOTK Banned

you need to empty your dog out stick one of those small cofee straws up her butt, make sure to lick it b4 and not after.

18. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Does anyone boil the water? I heard Robert Lemme say that would take a lot of fat content out of the water. I haven't tried it myself but my might see what might happen

19. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

yes we do. and yes it does. there's a lil bit more of a process to it though.

20. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

don't add to much water to the feed if any, a change of diet can also cause loose stools.
    feeding just before a work out is a no no.
    i feed about an hour before a work out, a Quarter slice of wholemeal bread, a pinch of raw lean meat, to that i add about 20mls of Acid Neutralizer, this is the best solution against Lactic acid build.

Acid Neutralizer consist's of :
    Sodium Citrate
    Potassium
    Citric Acid
    Fructose
    Glucose

this is an aid in the treatment and prevention of (acidosis-dehydration and tying up syndrome. it has a neutralizing effect on acid substances which build in the blood stream after long and heavy training or excercise.

walk dog out before work out and make sure they are empty

this is not Breakfast, this is before a hard work out.

walk dog out after work out and be sure they are completely recovered, do not let them gulp big heaps of water, a little at a time, remove water for a couple of minutes between drinking if your dog is inclined to gulp large amounts, then feed within 1 half of an hour.

Boil your water, this will eliminate any unwanted chemicals in it also.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009