1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Conditioning for a pup

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Megger, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Megger

Megger Pup

Mine was born May 17 LOL! so yeah, same. When we bought our baby pool but never used it. we moved into a new house in august so we hadn't settled in just yet. I am hoping she can splash around in the summer with a few tennis balls in the kiddy pool. I just can't wait to see how she does at the lake!!! she's never been...of course, las vegas doesn't have alot of water just laying around. LOL!!!!!! we have a few but lake havasu and mead are really the only two major ones.

If she does good, for conditioning I will dock dive train her.

2. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

not to high jack a thread but how long did yours sleep as a pup? my girl is 11 weeks and all she does (or wants to do) is sleep. but i've had others that were (what i call) regular pups that were always active and playing.

3. yoel

yoel Big Dog

Just walking for long distances depending on how much your dog can take. When my pup was 4-12 months we'd walk 2-4 miles daily. From there on I believe running is ok

4. yoel

yoel Big Dog

HAHA!! That sure is some funny shit, to watch your lil 7-8 month old dog track and pin lil furry animals LoL

5. luge

luge Big Dog

Shakaz: Its perfectley normal for your pup to want to sleep for what seems like a hell of a long time. As it's said when your pup is sleeping it's growing. Judging by how quick pups grow its easy to see why they need so much sleep.;)

6. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I guess so, she's three months now and fourteen pounds. She's awake more than she used to be but still sleeps a lot although when she's awake she goes goes goes then drops like a stone lol. Drivey lil something though.

7. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

She dont need no hard walking or heavy exercise ,let her be a pup play,eat and sleep!!!! Theres plenty of time when she's grown patience is the key.

8. Ragingstorm

Ragingstorm Big Dog

Couldnt agree more!

9. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

The is some truth to no "overwalking" a puppy, but I think the amount of walking that will do damage to a puppy far exceeds what most owners ever consider doing. If someone said they were a mountain biker and wanted to let their pup run alongside a bike for 20 miles a day that would be one thing, but I seriously doubt there is much harm in a nice long walk with your puppy.

Swimming is a great alternative but not something easily accessable to most people.

10. che

che Top Dog

just let the pup good grow up.. When he is ready than you can go train with him..... But just het him play en when he will stop let him stop not anymore.... phsicalyy he must be ready

11. phill

phill Top Dog

ok i have a 8 month old pup no i really don't condition any pup's but she needs 26 more points to become a adba champ yes she looks real good but we want aother best puppy trophy her third ,, we been putting the walking harness on her every other day and walking about 2 miles i've seen pups and young adults become lame from conditioning to much to earlie in their life probally were milled cuz it's easier,quicker, and works well for lazy people we will not mill any dogs at all the harder way is the best way the way we see it,, am i over dooing it ?

12. coop-dog

coop-dog Big Dog

To say the only thing you pup should be doing for exercise is swimming is a load of crap.Iam no dog man but Iam with Gringo on this one.Have always walked pups of course not as far as when grown .I think it is time to look at what you have if your having joint problem because of hand walking pups.
    G

13. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

let a pup be a pup,no need for springpole and ect...they run and play enough as is!

14. phill

phill Top Dog

the real reason i'm bringing this up is yes i'm conditioning her a lilbitt 2 miles every other day but it looks like she wants more not the slightest sighn beeing worked a little at the end of our walk not an extra breath looks like she didn't even go ,, i'm thinking about walking her and her 6 year old mother the same distence 3 to 3 1/2 miles,,, and the one female we think has a chance at adba gr ch to walk with our bk and wt male champ who we want a friend to have till next winter and breed him here and ther a walk of 4 miles ,,they work good 2 x 2 on the walk

15. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

My pup is 7 months and 3 weeks old. I walk him 2 miles, 5x's a week.

I also let him play with his Spring Pole for about 10 mins most days. I'm not trying to condition him, it's just the routine I have going with him, it's working well as he's healthy and looks alright IMO. He's only my first 'Bull-breed' so I have no experience with how it'll affect him as an adult.

@ 7mos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not quite ready for the most ripped thread yet haha

16. phill

phill Top Dog

myself i'd not spring pole yet ,m,, but yes i been landscapeing the abanden lot netx door cuz i'm a ax man and tasting some cheap wine bbq'in with some cheap wine mixed in with the water pan after halftime i took her out and i did see some noticable definition in her rear end when comeing in from a walk i might be right on i haven't even got to conditioning feed yet let alone what i call hot dog feed witch i like getting them on 1 moth before OUR LOCAL SHOW JUNE 16th and 17th IN NEW LENNOX IL UNOFFICALLY cat's out of the bag if 2 shows we want it in 1 day if 3 shows it will be a 2 day show

17. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

I dont think a puppy should ever be conditioned, now exercised and kept fit, thats fine. I exercised my dog when he was younger, normal puppy playing, lots of fetch and tug, even tied his rope to a tree and let him yank it around, not a spring pole though, heck he would run like a fool when I would tie him out to a 50' long line and just let him run around and be a puppy. I dont think a puppy should have feet off the ground, so no up high spring pole or tug, and no jumping if you flirt, but playing and moderate walking is fine and I have done it to all my dogs and none have ever had issues.
    I dont agree that the only thing that should be done is swimming, some dogs dont like it, and what if its winter, or you have no access, are you supposed to just let you dog sit on the couch until its a year+?
    My dog has been fit, and no fat on him since he was brought home at 4weeks, he is fine now and has no issues.. I mean I think puppies playing together is more hardcore than when people do moderate exercise with their puppies. Now I wouldnt walk a month old dog many miles but a walk isnt going to hurt it, even if it pulls, thats how you have to do to teach them to walk properly before their to big and act like fools and have some size and power to yank you around.. if I didnt do any exercising with him he would have torn my house apart or ended up a little lard ass lol

Here are some pictures of him being a pup

diggin in wanting to get some birds on one of our walks
    [​IMG]

running like mad in a field
    [​IMG]

on a 50' rope
    [​IMG]

I cant find the one of him running in circles holding his rope thats tied to a tree, but he has no ill effects from proper moderate exercise as a puppy, been doing it since he had all his shots.

18. phill

phill Top Dog

well she was 8 months old on the third she has 2 weeks on the program we're gonna bump her up to 3 1/2 mile walk i'm not gonna be able to take her to texas but she'll be ready my 1 friend about a 100 miles away is full hope i can come up with someone to take her i belive she'll do well

19. phill

phill Top Dog

she's conditioned i gotta shortin up the walking she's been following a adult and she digs in with a harness on just short of the whole way ,, the adult was in heat she went in heat 4 weeks early gonna miss cajon show hopefully she can make the fla show she's ready

20. hellhound

hellhound Pup

i think she needs more muscle, not much but just that she doesn't look like shes starving to death