1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

conditioning a dog "drying out method"

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by p1tbull, May 12, 2010.

1. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

conditioning a dog "drying out method"

I would like to know more about this method.

2. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

Re: conditioning a dog "drying out method"

i havent heard about it i knw some ppl dnt give the dog water near end of conditioning to get all water from under there skin i think thts y correct me if im wrong:confused:

3. shortbedder

shortbedder Big Dog

Look for a Mayfield keep, he was the expert.

4. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

been trying is there any on here.

5. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

6. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

you dont stop giving the dog water! you will end up with a dead dried up dog.
    what you want to do is slow down their water intake. if your serious ask an experienced person.

7. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

well this is what i had found

The water should be put in front of the dog each morning, fresh and in a bucket. The first two weeks of work, walk your dog till he cools all the way after his work on the mill. After his rub down let him drink. After two weeks of work put the dog in front of his fresh water and let him drink as much as he wants to until 5 days before the match. Always feed dry so your dog will drink a lot of water. Always let him drink as soon as he comes off the mill after 2 weeks of work. Give one tablespoon of raw honey every three days over the feed.
    This should bring everything up to 5 days in front of the match. In the next issue of pit pal I will explain the last week of keep. This will show you how to point a dog. The week that will let you know if you can do it or not.
    For the first eight weeks give half a teaspoon of salt two times a week, make sure you give it in their feed two days in a row, then five days no salt, then two days salt. The last salt is to be given 14 days in front of the match.
    To understand just what the salt will do to your temperament, go without salt in your food for 14 days, the eat salt over your food and drink lots of water for three days, your temperament will change from easy to get along with and very friendly to a short tempered, very grippe person the closer the fourteenth day comes around.

To understand what the salt will do to the blood is to understand what a high red-blood count is and what a low-red-blood count is. To know how to get a high red-blood count is to go without salt and your body will pull away from water and when your body pulls away from water it will start to dehydrate. Your blood will start to concentrate, as you will get a very high red-blood count. In order to get your red-blood count down low, eat salt for three days and drink a lot of water and you will see your red-blood count will go down as your body will take on water and once more you will have a smile on your face.
    The reason for a high red-blood count is that the blood will be concentrated and that means more red-blood cells to go through the body to the lungs to cool off and back through the body to cool it off, so it will keep a dog from getting hot, as the hotter the body gets, the weaker it will get.
    Another reason for a high red-blood count is the blood, when concentrated, the dog can get an artery cut and in just a few seconds the bleeding will stop because the blood is so pure it will seal, and stop the loss of blood.
    So, to understand, this is a peak, that you must try and reach the last five days, is to understand what a person is talking about when he talks of drying a dog out. The last five days in front of the match your dog should be put into a crate and kept in a quiet, cool place (I keep mine in my bedroom). The water should be given to your dog by hand, and not left in front of him. He should have soft bedding in his crate, clean dry hay. He should weigh one and a half pounds to two pounds over his pit weight.

8. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

9. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

Ive been told dont dry out the dog as its not needed..dog will drink less anyway just dont give prior to the show?
    Is it not azium which drys a dog out like?

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

dont give water 24 hrs before a show is drying out right?

11. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

no thats not it. in fear of confusing people even more with my poor explaination, i wont comment, ask one of the old timers on here or wait for them to post here for a real explanation.

12. mfern004

mfern004 Big Dog

Drying a dog out sounds like a bad idea. I dunno if you're conditioning for a conformation show or asking for historical purposes, but consider this:

What do professional fighters do between the official weigh in (held 24hrs before) and the actual fight? They eat and rehydrate! No one is gonna perform better when they're dehydrated (and that stuff Mayfield wrote about blood coagulation is far fetched). Unlike professional bouts though, weigh-ins for amateur or smoker's-type matches happen same day usually right before the fight. In that situation you either match at a more realistic weight for yourself, or condition longer before the match so you can come in at that weight without having to starve or dehydrate.

If you're doing it for conformation shows its probably not necessary if your dog is conditioned well. Its not pound-for-pound like it would be in the pit.

13. peppapig

peppapig Banned

drying out imo is a dangerous thing.....all organs work better if hydrated....id have thought drying out could create unneeded stress on the dog....if you dont know what your doing dont try it....ive heard loads of the usual reasons for drying....less bleeding etc....but imo not needed....

14. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

bleeding? vit k right? Always thought the dogs drink less as they are getting closer to peak anyway?

15. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

yes sir thats drying out but aint gonna do you good.

16. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"drying out" has nothing to do with H2o intake. it is a slang turm for fluid retention inside the dogs body ie muscles. (basic explanation) the more they work out there muscles brake down. fluid protects them whyle they rebuild. the soreness comes from that process braking & rebuilding of muscles. there's lots of ways to "dry out" a dog but that's a simple way to understand what it means. more muscle = more weight & a lot of that comes from fluid inside the body . if you watch body building they talk a lot about "water retention".

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  17. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

I thought it was something like your dog's need of water is less. For example whenever your dog gets tired it gets water. So then mentally it well want water when its tired and stop. But if your dogs need for water is less then it'll keep going?

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

WOW:dogdrink:..............................

19. scooter

scooter Big Dog

lol......:eek:...........

20. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

What the hell?