1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Conditiong during heat cycle...

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by bullydogs, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

How much of a factor... does a heat cycle play in conditiong a bitch during a keep? If any, how much should you let off? If any, should there be any changes in feed & water intake? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

If she is in heat you should not be doing this! Look at your time line and you'll see what I'm talking about... Slick

3. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Thanks for replying Slick. Could you please go into a little futher detail. A buddy of mine and myself discussed this last night for two hours. He keeps his dogs in near top shop all year long. He swears to me that conditioning while a bitch is in heat is acceptable. I asked two vets locally...one said that its fine, and thee other suggested taking it alittle easier.

4. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

There is such a thing as too much conditioning. An overworked dog is damn near useless.

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I'd be interested in some info about this as well. Its been years since I've owned an intact female, and the first time I've ever owned one that I'll be attempting to condition (later).

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

No, do not continue shaping a female in heat. With the hormones, and water-retention that comes with it, you will be fighting a losing battle.

7. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

OK people, Listen to me carefully! Think a moment about how many months a year a female is not feeling like a mother dog and a bitch in heat. whether or not she breeds to a male the female will still have mixed emotions for the next 60 to 65 days! Yep... Looking at it for what it would have been back in the day when you could still match dogs she would not be the dog to match right after a heat cycle.

Only for historical reasons am I even telling you this information so you can see the facts for yourself. Heat cycle last about 21 days, gestation is 60 to 65 days after that another 6 to 8 weeks which is another 40 to 60 days to raise the pups before she turns on them. So if I were going to Match a bitch before the year 1976 I must calculate the open months she is not feeling like getting laid or a momma.

Following me I hope... 21+65+ and another 50 days say is = to 136 days of her not being 100% of herself! At the end of raising pups she starts to get the dog aggression back and may snap at the pups which is a tale tale sign that it's time to get the bitch ready if you plan to match, test or catch with her. You have around two months per heat cycle to get the job done before she starts next heat.

As I said before, this is only meant as a history lesson and nothing more. Read my disclaimer before you jump to any conclusions!

Mentor approved for Slick to post! Thanks

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

If you were conditioning a female for the show ring, and were not planning on breeding her, would you still wait for an extended period (ie, the full would-have-been gestation period) after her heat cycle before you started getting her into shape again? I'm just wondering what a safe window would be. Or is it more a matter of watching her behavior and waiting for her to return to her normal self?

9. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Dont do it...... period and exclamation mark.!..... Heat equals= fucked .....as far as keeps go.....so just wait.