1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

concrete bowls

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ChDynomite, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Hey guys , Im getting ready to start pouring bowls for my yard , just wanted to see if anyone had plans on how to make them . I know how to make them but just want to see everyone elses plans for the bowls thanks.

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

plywood for the mold (5 pieces) cut to size and nail together
    line the interior surface w/ wax paper (or other mold release such as wax)
    mix crete
    pour crete into mold, fill about 2/3rd's full
    use a stainless steel mixing bowl of appropriate size, waxed on the backside
    w/ a left to right steering motion, work the bowl down into the crete until it is level w/ the top of your mold
    let set overnight
    remove bowl and take apart plywood mold

viola! let it set a few more days to cure and you are in business

3. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

so you make yours square?

4. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

yeah, its pretty easy and they are less lilely to get knocked around than a round one.

if you want round- simply substitue a 5 gallon plastic bucket for the mold.
    cut down to size, wax inside instead of wax paper

5. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Guys watch using concrete bowls. it has some chemical in it that Can hurt your dogs. I used to use them also but My dogs started getting sick and looking very poor The vet told me they were the problem. I tosed them my dogs came right back. I know alot of guys use them and say they have no problem but they also have dogs that drink from frog ponds. Do what you do but if your dogs start looking poor toss them. J

6. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

These are good plans, but leave the bowl in..Stainless steel bowls are easy to clean, and you wont run into any problems like the one TripleJ spoke about..

7. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

watch there teeth too if u have a aggressive eater....lost a couple choppers from concrete bowls....needless to say. there gone and replaced....

8. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

the only problem with that is it would cost $10 more per bowl and that would get real expensive as fare as concrete making them sick thanks for the heads up but i have been using them for 9 years now and have had no problem. Thanks for all the great suggestions so fare.

9. Caos

Caos CH Dog

10. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Go to Tractor supply or co-op, and get you a salt block holder for livestock.

One like this:

[​IMG]

It will cost about $4-$5

Flip it upside down, and coat it with "PAM" or corn oil. Then fill it up with fresh concrete. Be sure to tamp and rod concrete to get large air voids out. Let set a day or two, and flip over and form(saltblock holder) should slide off.

I have made 100+ bowls with one mold. Its easier to get a few and make 3 or 4 at a time.

Finished product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

I also recommend "wet curing" for a week to keep from cracking later on. Rapid moisture loss during curing of concrete will cause shrinkage cracking, which will cause stress crack and fracture.

Just keep it wet for a week or so, and it will be much more durable.

11. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

That's the best one yet Stillwater. A lot easier. I have only one that uses concrete cause he is such a goof. He will dig in a water bowl and turn it over. I paid 10. bucks for it.

12. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

The bowls I make end up around 70-80 lbs depending on how dry concrete is mixed. Around a 4" slump is optimum for concrete consistancy.

13. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

We have about 4 Stillwater concrete bowls. They are great!

14. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

love the way they turned out . you the man stillwater.Ive been calling you for several months but can never get a hold of you . I will be doing some buissines with you shortly , got a nice order to put in, you come highly recomended.I will be using your idea for the bowls Thanks for the info

15. bianchi

bianchi Pup

can you use the concrete bowls for water ???