1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

colors

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ibcbt, Oct 24, 2004.

1. ibcbt

ibcbt Pup

is merel and blue a true color

2. nope...................

3. zombie106

zombie106 Big Dog

only if you have a catahoula leopard dog

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

There is no way to prove where the merle gene came from. The possiblities are endless of how it came about..

a) the Catalohua leopard dogs
    b) its a mutation of certain genes (since its recessive, it could have just popped up or have always been there...it took breeding for certain colors or a certain line)

Blue has always been in the dogs..the blue gene stems back to the Blue Poll (Paul) dogs of Scotland Blue is also a recessive gene of black and is known to pop up in lines like Boudreaux. It however was extrermky rare (probably thought of as bad years and years ago because it is a dilution and most problems genetically are more abunandt in dogs that carry dilutions )

I guess its just soemthing yuou need to research for yourself and come to your own conculsions. Color shouldnt be that important anyway..its all about what the individual dog can do.

5. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

Merle are true to Catahoulas but don't dog the blue trait .It comes in off the black genes.Their are plenty of good dogs that are blue or variations of blue.I have several blue dogs.One of which is a very competitive male.He was catching shoats at 14 weeks old.So the color doesn't matter unless it's in the ring,which he has proven himself.