1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

colby

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Boze, May 20, 2008.

1. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i went to the colby's house and picked up a treadmill today and i had the pleasure of meeting lou colby to bad i spent all that money o the mill tho because she is afraid of it but it was worth it to meet lou he was very nice and it was very nice to meet someone like him . i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get her to use the mill as soon as it moves she freaks and jumps right off of it.

2. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Lock it up so she can mess around on it with out it moving. Feed her a little food up there to get her feelin comfortable. When shes comfortable try to get her to walk forward and let off the brake. Take it slow because i have heard of dogs that wont work a mill period.

3. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I use the food method too. I stablize the mill so it doesn't turn then I procede to feed the dog on the mill t oget them use to it. Once the dog is very comfy standing on the mill I will allow it to move. Some take to it right away and others need to be worked into it.

Don't give up, your dog will come around just gotta take your time with it.

The Colbys are a really nice family, glad you got to meet the man. Alot of knowledge and history with that one, going into his home and barn is like walking into a Bulldawg museum.

4. Suki

Suki Guest

^ i agree. it's usually the sound and movement them freak 'em out. although i often "hear" you shouldn't use food as a motivator, i disagree with this thinking. if food works, then go for it. put some food on it, perhaps that she doesn't often get to have, and once she feels comfortable standing on it, as mentioned, let her go SLOW on it. speak in an encouraging voice and praise her once she gets going. going slow is key tho. (imo)
    and yeah, Lou's a GREAT guy! VERY happy to say i've had the pleasure of meeting him, as well. sure do miss our MA. shows and seeing Lou at them....:(

5. Boze

Boze Top Dog

how would i go about stabalizing the carpet mill that colby sells

6. Boze

Boze Top Dog

it was amazing being at the house i got to take a tour of the kennel and see a few dogs up close there were so many pictures of things i have seen on the internety and it was nice to actually see them with my own eyes.

7. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Either tie it off with a rope or corner it.

Yea like I said his home is like a museum for bulldawgs. He introduce you to Dice ? I love that little guy, and Shiner too. Shiner is the first dog you see to the far left kennel, he is the official greeter.

Again glad you got to meet him, not many of them oldtimers left.

8. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Well, I can't off you any advice but I must say it would be neat to get to meet Lou Colby.

9. Texbull

Texbull Pup

It would be tight to go meet him and see his dogs and everything

10. Boze

Boze Top Dog

is shiner the one who is kinda buckskin colored because all the other ones were brindle wit a little white they were a cool brindle color not one i have seen a lot. and i am sorry but what do you mean by corner it and also i no this may b dumb but where do i tie the rope lol

11. Boze

Boze Top Dog

it was a great experiance i think Paul colby's wife was the one showing me around but i did get to talk to lou briefly. She told me i would be welcome to visit, but seing how lou is getting old i do not no if that would be such a good idea

12. Since it is a carpet mill, level the machine. It should be parallel to the floor. Then, place her on (hold carpet with hand so it will not possibly move). Praise her for standing (or sitting) there. Then remove her. How you place and remove her is important. You need to move her in a way she feels secure and will easily take as the norm. For this purpose, i pick a dog up using one to go back and between my dogs rear and other under chest. I place dog on machine going backwards (making sure the base does not move).

Anyway, once the dog is used to standing on the machine for a few minutes at a time, it is time to get her used to the noise. For this, remove her from the machine. Let the dog sniff and walk around the machine. Then, start to slowly move the machine. She needs to hear the machine while retaining the ability to "flee". Let her get used to things in pieces first. Only after she is used to the noise and standing on machine can you move to putting things together. Once you have accomplished both tasks, have her walk a few steps at a time. The moment you feel she is getting "anxious", stop her movement and praise. You need to build from this. If done in short intervals, these exercises will have your dog running in almost "no time". If food helps, use it.