1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

chewing leash

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by memyselfandmiah, Feb 21, 2006.

1. :rolleyes: as has been evidenced by previous posts, i am one smart guy. (please note sarcasm), but here is my new delima that I would appreciate help with. He (my pit/lab/husky/st.bernard/beagle/whatever you think that he is) was chewing the leash. DROP wasnt working. so, as was suggested in another post by me, I got a chain and D-clipped it to his leash to guide him. The dadgum animal is still chewing the leash, even though it is a metal chain. is this normal?? albeit we didnt try for too long, I was afraid that he would break a tooth on it pretty fast. Havent got any bitter apple spray yet. so, this out, my question is two-fold:
    1) any other suggestions to deter him from chewin it? is giving him a chain gonna stop it or break his teeth in the long run.

2) is it normal for him to sleep this much? I brought him to work today to socalize with the kids, and he has spent a good 5 hours of the 8 hour day sleeping. will still sleep all night, no problem.

3) with the chewing: i have looked around, and every sort of chew-toy says that it is only for "under close supervision) is there anything that i can give him and leave him with for a day or so, and not have to worry? he hasn't figured out the Kong yet, I got one for medium puppies, and it just sits there. he will only roll it around, and that is all.

4) further along with chewing: He chews his legs sometimes. I have looked and felt for fleas, ticks, dry skin, and see nothing that i thought is irregular. is this normal?

Thank you for at least taking the time to read this, and if you can suggest anything to help at all, thank you for that too.

--Head

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

try hot sauce on the leash
    and he could have skin mites just a couple ideas

3. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

work him more and put peanut butter in the kong
    i put a nylabone through the hole on a bone shaped kong dog stayed busy for weeks
    hot sauce on the leash is good or just slap him and say no.

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

1.) he will learn biting metal isnt fun and will stop soon. I've heard shaking the chain while he grabs it will irritate him, and make him drop it quicker.

2.) Pups are basically just peeing/pooping corpses at that age, dont worry. LOL They are a ball of energy for 15 minutes, and then sleep the day away.

3.) Supervise all toys, no matter what. Just when you think something is impossible, he will do it. If that means breaking off 1/2 a bone and swallowing it whole, then thats what he will do. Pups will eat anything, keep them safe.

4.)Well, how often is he biting and is it concentrated to one area or what? I'm afraid we will need more details.

5. japangame

japangame Big Dog

he will stop soon enough with the metal leash. while its in his mouth, just shake it quickly with out jerking it. you dont want to break his teeth. Hot sauce works, but then again he might develope a taste for that.....it has happend to me. Good luck with it and remember that there is no stupid question. Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much and Wisdom is humble that he knows no more. your questions keep us on our toes and alow us to help you when you need it.;)

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Exactly Japangame, it seems hotsauce spooks them...and then they get curious and then you cant get them off it.

7. About sleeping...every dog sleeps most of his lifetime...thats normal:) yes they have a gooood life,all the time eating ,drinking,sleeping and......I forgod the last...geting old...

8. Thank ya'll for your information and help. Thor and i both appreciate it. We are going to the vet today for the first time, and have some things to talk to him about. I will definatly try and remember to have him look for skin mites.

again, thank you much