1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Chainsaws ! What you got?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bamaman, Mar 3, 2016.

1. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I use non-ethanol gas in all my small engine stuff

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Well I bought a Stihl MS271 this morning.Its a done deal now , so we will see how she holds up.

3. redwar

redwar Big Dog

CB, I have no issues but I am curious about the non ethanol gas? whats the cost compared to premium or plus? I have never seen it?.

4. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I've checked on it and it was about .50 more a gallon. That's just the one place I have checked. That place is an hour from me, one way. That's the closest place to me unfortunately. Here's a site with places that sell it. ... Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

5. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Around here it's normally about 25ยข more than premium per gallon. It was 2.19 a gallon Friday. The main reason I use it in mowers and other small engines is because it doesn't degrade as quick as regular ethanol gas. Extends the life of small engines. If you routinely use the whole tank or only put enough for the task at hand I assume it wouldn't matter much.

6. Bmf_bt

Bmf_bt Big Dog

When IT comes to logging equitment you just have to Go with the Swedish stuff, no matter IF its chainsaws or axes.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

If you read the owners manual for your saw ,more than likely they will tell you what fuel to use.I looked it up and it said use mid grade unleaded with a minimum octane rating of 89 and no more that 10 percent ethanol.This is for my Stihl MS271.I have tried the nonethanol and it didn't work for me.non ethanol is for older car,trucks,chainsaws etc etc.Older stuff.Todays carbs will burn ethanol as long as u stay under 10 percent.Personally I like Chevron mid and premium .I will also run a tank with airplane fuel from time to time.

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

For warranty purposes I run exactly what the manual says.

9. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Thanks treez, My saws are all past warranty, and I usually use/do what has worked I rarely go by the manuals ..Old farm guy who fixes my tractor from time to time when I cant find the fix put me onto the premium fuel about 7 years ago and i have had no problems from sitting or degrading at all since then nor any problems with gas lines eroding either.

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I think ethanol free just isn't true.I am not sure you can get all the ethanol out and as far as I know Chevron contains the least out of anyone.I believe Thier is a law that it has so have so much ethanol,anything that says ethanol free ,I don't believe it.Eould have to be tested and proven .I have saw it tested and found that indeed had ethanol in it.Like I said as far as I know ,around these parts Chevron contains the least,meaning below 10 percent.Everyone is suppose to be below 10 percent .Everyone could actually advertise ethanol free as long as your below 10 percent and everyone is.

11. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Ethanol Free is just a sales pitch lol.No such thing..Ask them to prove it and ask them if they have less than Chevron ? I bet they won't and can't ! ethanol free doesn't exist .

12. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

You don't remove the ethanol, you just don't add it. Ethanol usually added by distributors not the refinery

13. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Ethanol free gas exists, the law is that it can contain more than 10% ethanol and still be sold as "gasoline".

14. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Sorry my man.I have never saw it.From what I've been told by government regulations it has to have some in it..U prob right on it has to be added.And yes I know it can contain more than 10 percent but I don't know anyone that has it more than 10 around here.It can get expensivefixin folks cars.

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Heard of it goin 30 to 40 but never saw it personally.

16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

17. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

As far as I know it's not required but allowed. It was started to try and reduce emissions but studies have shown gas with ethanol produces more pollution than pure gasoline. E-0 is pure gasoline, E-10 is a 90/10 mixture that is sold most places. They have all the way up to E-85 which is 85% ethanol 15% gasoline. Ethanol produces less BTU per pound than gasoline, which translates into burning more to produce same amount of energy.

Adding the ethanol reduces the shelf life of gasoline and is a major reason it's recommended that you use ethanol free in anything that may sit awhile with gas in it. Also ethanol contains water and will cause corrosion in certain types of lines and hoses. It's not going to hurt your car or truck using E-10, but you will get better gas mileage using E-0. I get about 17 miles per gallon on 87 octane E-10, about 18.5 mpg on 93 octane E-10 and right at 20.5 with 90 octane E-0. It's not enough to make a huge difference, especially if E-0 is hard to find.

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I add Sta Bill to everything.Gas can actually rot if it sits long enough.I know a man that's allergic to bad gas and will break out,he has no problems with fresh gas...crazy

19. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

He told me poor it out after 3 months even if u add Sta Bill..Man is a small engine wiz.I do what he says,dude still runs bow saws.

20. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lol I've seen my uncle run his truck on Coleman lantern fuel to make it to gas station, it was sputtering like hell but it worked!