1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Chaining Dogs Banned in Texas City

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by dunlap, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Chained to a tree in the backyard of a Texas City home, a dog gnaws at his bowl -- not because he's hungry, but because he's angry.

"He's saying, 'I'm so mad,'" explained Wendy Barwell, a Galveston County animal control officer.

She said the attack on the bowl is a case of displaced aggression.

"If it got off the chain, I'm pretty definite it would be us instead of the bowl," said Bardwell.

But the days of living at the end of a chain are numbered in Texas City. Whatever the dog's breed, whatever the reason.
    Starting in 60 days, chaining dogs like Max will be illegal.

Texas City is among the first to pass an ordinance barring residents from chaining their dogs to stationary objects like trees, or even houses. Officials cited studies by the Humane Society.
    "When you chain or tie an animal down and just leave it, it causes it to be more aggressive," said George Fuller, Community Service Director. "It also gives it the fight or flight syndrome. So anytime it gets off that chain, it's going to attack something."

"You have to put them somewhere," complained Kelly Slovak. "You have to put them on a chain if you keep them inside the fence."

What you have to do is build a fence that will keep them inside, while also providing 150 square feet of space. That or keep them inside your home. Dogs, after all, are social creatures.

"They need to be part of the family, not just chained to the tree," said Kil Schoolcraft, the animal control director.

Because there's more to responsible ownership, than simply providing food and water.

There is a poll on the site where you can vote on if you are for or against this mess.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/galveston/stories/khou070309_mh_dogordinance.35a497b1.html

2. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

here we go... just one more way for the government to controll what we do when we do it and how we do it ...

3. simms

simms CH Dog

Those are not facts given those are assumptions!

4. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Viscous chained dogs ready to attack my nephew...:eek:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I wasnt sure if this had been posted before but I know there are alot of Texans in here and wanted to make sure they knew about it... it's bull shit but that's life.

5. Suki

Suki Guest

what the hell are people thinking: :confused:

"He's saying, 'I'm so mad,'" explained Wendy Barwell, a Galveston County animal control officer.

She said the attack on the bowl is a case of displaced aggression.

"If it got off the chain, I'm pretty definite it would be us instead of the bowl," said Bardwell.

yup, simms, meer assumptions, but, sadly, met with eager ears, ready to believe them! :rolleyes:

pathetic!!!!:mad:
    ...ms Wendy should be seriously embarassed spewing such stupidity.... cripes, ....

6. Scratchy

Scratchy Guest

My stomach started twisting when I was reading the comments left. What will they when I get my 1 acre of land and a 10ft privacy fence with 2 rottys to protect my property. Ah yes, my dream is 2yrs away from being reality. These dogs are my life and I laugh at their criticism. For those who won't be able to live that life with me, I'm truly, deeply sorry that these idiots are sticking their nose where it don't belong.