1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

chain ban through out Texas???

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by dunlap, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

A friend sent me a message and told me their land lord said that they had to take their dogs off of chains from 9:00pm-6:00am? He said that there was a law fix'n to be passed where they had to be kept indoors or in an enclosed area over night?!.....

I havent heard anything about this and havent been able to find any info. on it yet. She said her land lord is gonna send her a copy of the information he got.... Have y'all heard anything about this? She says it's gonna be state wide but I dont see that happening.

2. simms

simms CH Dog

I havent heard anything to that affect. Post the info when you get it.

3. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

It's happening all over the country. It wouldn't surprise me if Texas is doing this.

4. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

This is all I could dig up on chain bans in Texas...

----------

By THOMAS JENKINS Staff Writer

JULY 28, 2004, BIG SPRING, TEXAS -- The Big Spring City Council voted 6-0 in favor of a ban on the chaining and tethering of dogs within the city limits Tuesday evening, putting its final approval on an ordinance that has drawn a great deal of fire from the community. Councilwoman Stephanie Horton wasn't present during the meeting as the remaining council members adopted the new law.

Although approval is complete, the new law won't go into effect until Nov. 1 because of a 90-day grace period the council built in. "One of the things the council wanted with this ordinance was an effective date 90 days from now," said Big Spring Police Chief Lonnie Smith. "That will put this ordinance in effect on Nov. 1. Between now and then we'll be getting with the media and trying to make the public aware of what the ordinance is and what the restrictions are. That way they'll have between now and Nov. 1 to come into compliance. "If they want to maintain their dogs, they will have between now and then to get things ready. If they don't want to comply, then they will have between now and Nov. 1 to find a new home or owners for the dog."

While the ordinance is still approximately three months from being enforced, Smith said the police department and Animal Control are already doing the "footwork" in preparation for the deadline. "We already have a pretty good idea where the more problematic and troublesome canines that are being chained are at," said Smith. "We'll be checking those areas and taking a strict enforcement on those. We'll also be receiving complaints that are called in. Neighbors are going to see it and with the education process, people are going to be aware of it. We'll be answering those calls and taking the same action." ....................................

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/news/040728BigSpringBan.htm

--------------------

AUSTIN BAN ON DOG CHAINING AND TETHERING TAKES EFFECT OCTOBER 1, 2007

On June 7, 2007, by a vote of 7 to 0, the Austin City Council passed the ordinance to ban the chaining and tethering of unattended dogs!

The new law will go into effect on October 1, 2007. The delayed effective date is intended to allow citizens time to build a secure and humane fenced enclosure for their dogs, or to bring their dogs inside the family home. The language of the new ordinance may be viewed here: Dog Chaining Ordinance Text (PDF format) or here: Dog Chaining Ordinance Text (html format).

http://www.chainfreeaustin.org/

---------------------

<H3>City Passes Ordinance Over Tying Up Dogs

March 13, 2007, TEXAS CITY, TEXAS — That shady spot you tied Rover to in the morning could be blazing hot by the afternoon. That could make him mad, and that could make him attack. And that’s what Texas City officials are trying to prevent.

A new city ordinance approved last week prohibits dogs from being tied up to stationary objects. It also requires dog owners leaving their pets outside to have at least 150 square feet of space that’s fenced for the dogs to roam.

The change is an attempt to cut down vicious dog attacks in the city, which are often caused when dogs are chained up for long periods of time, director of community development George Fuller said. Right now, the city has about one attack a month, he said.

Fuller, who authored the ordinance that city commissioners approved Wednesday, said he’s always thought tying up dogs was humane. But it wasn’t until he saw a recent study that linked confined canines to attacks that he wanted to make the practice illegal.

“It tends to give them a fight or flight syndrome,” he said. “They get aggressive. And if they get loose, they get aggressive with whatever they come across.”

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/news/070313_TexasCity_Law.htm</H3>

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

that deal in Big Spring does not suprise me one bit.they don't listen to what their town people want.they do what they want to do.Big Spring ain't to far from Midland Texas so i have been there a few times.small town trying to be a big town is all it is.the banned smoking in all public places in a city where just about everyone smokes and no one wanted the ban i think about 97% of the town there are smokers so all they are killing is each other.then they had a deal where they wanted to refinish the roads and sidewalks through entire city.costed some obcene amount of millions of dollars and they would have to more than double taxes again 98% of the town did not want it but they passed it anyways.very corrupt town if you ask me.it is one thing if the majority of the people want something but when it is over whelmingly stated that the town does not want something and they do it anyways bad area with bad council members.so this doesn't suprise me one bit and i am betting that again most there do not want this one bit.

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I just read this reference in another article:

"The state recently made it illegal to tether a dog during severe weather and at any time within 500 feet of a school or at certain times of the day. But the city's revisions would stipulate that a dog cannot be tethered with material directly attached to its neck. If an animal must be tied, the tying device would have to be attached to a nylon or leather collar or harness and be at least 10 feet long."

ETA: Here's the article I read it in. It addresses mandatory spay/neuter in San Antonio, so its probably worth reading in its entirety if you're in the area. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA072307.01A.ANIMAL_CODE.3405505.html

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

dogs in va are only going to be allowed on a chain for one hour, i told a coworker this and he was like, my dog has been chained for four years.