1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Catchweght Pitbulls

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by YoungLion, Mar 27, 2007.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

" One of the pitfalls to communication lies in that little phrase "IT'S OBVIOUS!" What is obvious to A, alas, is by no means obvious to B and is downright ludicrous to C." Isaac Asimov

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH CATCHDOGS, Catchweight Pitdogs were considered the Heavyweights in oldtimes. The term Catchweight is NOT a recent term. Old Pitdogs that were larger than average but still represented the proper breed standards were matched as CATCHWEIGHTS. Dogs of old like Plumber's Ch Alligator, Hooten's Butcher Boy, Hank and Jimmy Boots were a few of these CATCHWEIGHT DOGS of oldtimes. THESE WERE NOT HUGE MASTIFF MIXED 70+ CURS, THEY WERE ATHLETIC GAMEBRED ORIGINAL APBT'S.
    CATCHDOGS on the other hand can very in Breed,weight,ect. Allthough a 35-49 lb pitbull may excell in catching hogs he would very rarely be matched in old days against a Catchweight Pitdog. (Gametest aside) It is not often you have a dog the caliber of a Peterbilt 41lb kill a good 62lb Catchweight Pitdog in 37 mins.( As a GREAT Heavyweight boxer would have a obvious advantage against a middelweight other things being equal.) As for Catch work i would venture to say a 40lb pitbull could do the job as well or better than 100+ Catchdogs.

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Is this directed at me because of my comment I made about how I'm tired of people looking for 80-90 lb catchweight "APBTs" because a true APBT weighing in at an average weight can't do the job? Too bad.

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

HHHMmmm so whats your point what you trying to say???? I know what catch weight is but what is catch dogs?

4. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

This is a dog catching a hog thus the Name Catch Dog. it means this is the dog that catches the hog after the bay dogs have tracted and bayed the hog. most APBT catch dogs don't track just catch. the hounds track and bay.

[​IMG]

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I think he knows what a catchdog is. ;)

6. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Well he did ask

7. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

He's just explainin the term and it's use.

I prefer catchdogs, 50-60's region. Yellow blood, Alligator, Dibo, Seitz Big Jake from what I've seen. Lot more to handle but still got the fire.

Just like Mayweather would be a lot quicker and faster than Foreman, but Foreman would be a lot more to handle and harder to put down.

8. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

I also like my catchdogs in the 50-60 lb range. Any smaller and not enough to weight down the hog, any larger you seem to loose the speed and the wind in the dog. But a good one that can get the job done right has my appreciation no matter what the size!

9. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

No but your post did prompt my Thread as you ask "when did catchweight pitbulls become such a thing?" and proceeded to talk about catch work and catchweight APBT's wich could be confusing to newer members. you know what you ment and so did i but just in case my prior comments got misunderstood by someone newer i attempted to clarify myself,be a little informative,and piggy back on what you said.PLUS YOU HAVE MORE FREINDS HERE THAN I DO(: Im not foolish lol no really if i had something to say to ya i would as would you.

whats up redcocain, glad to see ya back.

God bless

10. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

ARE you being facetious lol well ill start a thread anyway because it might be informative to someone in the future, thats if i dont get banned lol

11. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

whats going on YL, uhhh i didn't know i was gone

12. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I didn't hit the nail on the head? in my other post?

13. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

Yes but a thread dedicated to just that topic might help a newer member. i know it can be confusing just starting with all the termonology we use. thats why i tried to stick to the topic of Catchweight APBT's on this thread more than catchdogs but i dont think more information will hurt. i like doing serches from time to time on this board and others. who knows in a couple of yrs some newguy might wanna know what catchdogs are and i hope that thread will provide ample information. its about the next generation for me they will be stewards of the breed when we fade away and i hope to leave them well informed. i beleive we can better the breed on that level also.

God bless