1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canada-Family furious after police shoot pit bull in yard

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Family furious after police shoot pit bull in yard

Updated: Tue Dec. 22 2009 19:53:58
    Douglas Quan, ctvbc.ca

A Chilliwack, B.C., family is furious after their six-year-old pit bull was shot and killed by police who came onto their property unannounced to perform a training exercise with a police dog.

Brian Hacker said his dog, Fendi, had gone out into the yard Tuesday morning to relieve herself when two police dog handlers and a police dog came onto the family's property without advance notice.

The pit bull and the police dog engaged each other, he said, and moments later, Fendi was shot.

"They can't break up a dog fight?" he told CTV News. "We're not wrong here on any level."

Hacker's wife, Jennifer Gorcak, told ctvbc.ca that she was folding laundry in the bedroom when she heard the commotion and went outside.

"My husband was two doors down from where the dog limped to her death. He was on his knees screaming, 'They killed Fendi!'" she recalled.

"They should not have been in my yard unannounced," she said.

RCMP spokesman Sgt. Peter Thiessen told ctvbc.ca Tuesday night that the training exercise was being performed by an Abbotsford police officer connected to the Lower Mainland Regional District Police Dog Service and a Chilliwack RCMP officer.

He said that the two officers were training a police dog to track a suspect through a residential area.

When they entered the property, the police dog came under attack by the pit bull, Thiessen said.

Thiessen said the police dog was bitten in the throat.

He said the officers attempted to separate the dogs but were unable to. They feared that the police dog's life was in danger, and a decision was made to shoot the pit bull.

One shot was fired, he said.

Thiessen said this wasn't the first time police dog handlers had used the area for training and that residents had consented to the exercises in the past.

He confirmed that residents were not given prior notice of Tuesday's exercise. He said he didn't know why the notice didn't go out.

That'll form part of the investigation, he said.

CTV British Columbia- Family furious after police shoot pit bull in yard - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

2. Corley

Corley Big Dog

I'll sue the f*ck out that police department and the officers involved.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. SOB they those pigs need to b punsihed 4 that

4. Finkle

Finkle Big Dog

Well no shit, since when can you just barge onto someones property unannounced and conduct training, that is some serious Bullshit:mad:

5. popper

popper CH Dog

my thoughts exactly, they think they can do what they when they want. this happens alot were im from

6. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

That is some straight up bulls&*T. try that on my yard and I will be in jail....

7. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

I hope Fendi put in work on that pig dog before they murdered em'.

But hey governments and the state have a monopoly on violence:mad:, or so they say.

8. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Typical Cop BullSh*t. They have to much power!

RIP poor dog.
    Hope the family sues and gets rewarded lots of money.

9. popper

popper CH Dog

i hope fendi at least got a hold of that SOB. just defending its territory. im sure the pig dog was acting all crazy like they always do in training

10. feuking disgusting pigs

11. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

i wonder if tht dog died and poor fendi if i were the fam id sue until i couldnt anymore

12. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

Not saying it was the pitbulls owners fault, but that is the main reason i lock both my backyard and front yard, no one is just going to barge in my property. If i was the owner of that dog, i would sue and win.

13. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

I'm also sure that that GSD was in no danger for it's life. He probably was enjoying the tussle until the gunfire erupted from the cowardly police. They more than likely had time to let the dogs have at it while they find the owner of the apbt. Then seperate the dogs, medicate the dogs, then apologize for being stupid and inconsiderate for working their K-9 on someone else's private property. Looks like "common sense" is dying out world-wide.
    :(

14. GR.2 OZZY

GR.2 OZZY Pup

Damn that is f...d up for sure.Get an attorney!They get away with some shit like that.Just wait til the next time.And for fendi.Girl i hope u broke that mut dog off so it can b a curr like its badge wearn owners.R.I.P. to a dog that was protecting its ground

15. QVO RIP

QVO RIP Pup

You know these mother flowers are going to get away with it since they will blame it on Fendi and make her out to be some monster...

Hope they get the same at the end... I'm just saying..

16. oh yeah brother Amen to that and I hope that pig get what he deserve and we all know wat is that!

17. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

Clearly!

The breed of the dog that attacked makes no difference, A dog attack another dog that was on a leash with its handlers, I really doubt the other dog thought it was fun to have a dog latched onto its throat as its handlers tried to pull its jaws off of it.
    Did you even read the news reports?
    They didn't shoot the poor dog for kicks, They shot it because they couldn't break up the fight and they feared for their own dogs life, Any dog owner would do the same if they had too.

The owners should have had their dog on a lead as their yard was not fully secured, they are the ones to blame for not having their dog under control and it makes no difference if the dog was a pit or yorkie.
    Owners are responsible for their dogs at all times and if your dog attacks another dog while in your neighbours yard and it dies as the outcome of the fight you only have yourself to blame.

These owners have to stop blaming the police for their dog attacking with no warning, before some animal freak group uses this as a reason to have bully breeds banned from BC, It's owners like them that make people blame the breed and not the owners.

18. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

The dog isn't to blame, the owners of the dog are.

If your dog attacks because you fail to take the steps to have control over your dog you only have yourself to blame.

These owners let their dog out loose into their yard KNOWING it wasn't fully secured and as a result it left its property and attacked another dog and died because of it.

Blaming the police only shows they shouldn't own any dog as they aren't responsible enough to provide the dog with a safe secured home.

19. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

You're joking right?

A dog attacked another dog that was on its NEIGHBOURS property and you think the family has the right to sue?

The owner should be charged for their dog attacking.

If it was you or your Child walking your dog on its neighbours yard and it attacked your dog or even your child and you shot it would you still think the owners had the right to sue? Or are you basing they should sue because it was cops?

Judging the other dogs handlers because they are cops is the same as uneducated people judging all pit bulls the same because some owners train their pits to fight, which isn't fair as everyone knows the breed isn't to blame just bad owners.

20. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

The owners can't even keep their stories straight, The guy is claiming he knows what happened in this story while his wife says she was inside and He was 2 doors away, Yet in another news reports he claims he was out with the dog and bent to tie his shoe and the next minute the dog was dead.

These owners need to take responsibility for this attack before this causes more harm to bully breeds.