1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Can Concrete Harm Your Dog?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BRINDLEPIT, Apr 12, 2007.

1. My backyard is 90% concrete and well Im concerned about my dog.
    If anyone can help out with tips I would be very very greatful.

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Concrete is hard on the joints, and the pads. If the dog is kept on concrete for long periods of time, I hope for his/her sake you have some soft material for her to work and sleep on.

3. yeah i do. but can it cause irritation on the elbows or paws. like loosing of the hair. callous like?

4. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

yes,maybe they should wear doggie shoes.LOL.

5. Attila

Attila Guest

Yes very much so. And the ash can cause concrete poisoning in animals and humans alike who spend too much time with their dermis layer in contact with it.

6. i like the joke, but im really concerned. im being serious, i dont want it to end up being mange or something else and i detected it early so i dont want to waste time. i need all the help i can get, hes like my son.

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

poisoning?wow,i guess you do learn something new everyday!

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The callouses on the elbows and such are just the tip of the iceberg. What's really nice is when you get orthopedic problems. I can't walk my dog for more than a short trip on concrete anymore because it bothers one of her legs a great deal. We were walking in the neighborhood every night for exercise and fresh air, and she would lay down for a nap, and wake up limping. We don't have those problems when we walk on dirt or grass.

9. Attila

Attila Guest

You should be concerned. Concrete isn't skin and fur friendly that is for sure.

10. he has a slight loss of hair on the outer elbows on both of his front legs. im wondering if its because of that. when i walk him i go to the park and well we go thru the grass. i do apply nu-stock on the elbows but i havent noticed change

11. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

use the 10% thats not concrete...... so he at least has an option ... thats a tough one though ... does he have a dog house... does he come in your house whats the main concern i mean if hes a house dog then well what ever lay down some straw or something

if your just worried about working him i would definetly take him somewhere with some grass cause pavement will tear his pads,nails all to shit ...

but if hes a straight outside dog well dont work him in your back yard (at all really) not only his pads,nails but joints and stuff... if hes a house dog take him somewhere with grass... but thats just my opinon dude....

12. yeah he has a dog house with paddings inside it sometimes i take it out so he can chill and not have to lay down on the cement floor as for working him on the cement its a big no. but im worried about some bald spots i started to notice. im thinking it might be the cement or mange which i hope its not.

13. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

are the bald spots just on his elbows?? or is it else where too cause if it is it MAY be your dog food or something else your feeding him that he could possibly be alergic to .... as far as mange well id say for sure take him to your vet and get some solid advice from them ... but if you just changed food recently or something of that nature it may be allergys just a suggestion ... just out of curiosity what are you feeding him???

14. the baldness on the elbows seems callous like ashy at the touch but with little hair sort of like dry. but recently i started to notice other little spots. the elbow issue has been there quite sometime i apply nu-stock on that. seems to work a little. but the other spots are too suspicious.

as for the food its nutro. lamb n rice puppy formula, or kirklands chicken n rice. but right now its kirklands chicken n rice.

i recently bought a vitamin supplement from my tack n feed store the guy there told me it was good for dogs too. its called red cell. i dont really use it he doesnt like it so why bother.its an iron supplement. and has a yucca flavor said to just mix a little with the kibble. if im doing anything wrong hey feel free to tell me.

15. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

i know sometimes its hard but i would really say to find one food and stick with it someone correct me if im wrong but i think its hard on a dog to switch it up on him ... and if you were to ask me id say try canidea and stick with it its 28 dollers for 40 lbs not bad and its good stuff but again thats just my opinion

as for the mystery spots my dog got something of the sort and it was called HOT SPOTS?

anyway i just went to the feed mill/petstore and bought this stuff i think it was called hot spots actully or it was called something else and it said for hot spots right on the bottle it was like piss yellow and it was very effective im not saying thats what it is but its another thing to consider thats all and remember id really suggest taking him to the vet just to be safe JMO good luck

16. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

well dont worry about it giving him mange,if he has mange its not from the concrete.I really dont know how to help except maybe if you have the money you could cover the area over with some dirt.I know i see lots of adds in my paper that say "dirt for sale".I didnt mean to sound like i was making fun of your problem,its just that my first thought was about his poor little foot pads getting sore and torn up.As for his elbows,i see alot of dogs with that.

17. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

how about some pics of the bald spots in question? It would help to see exactly what you are talking about.:D

18. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Mange is a disease/parasite, it is not related to a dog living on concrete.

Callouses, torn pads, and bad joints, yes.

19. Attila

Attila Guest

yup,

but some vets will see bald spots take a scrapping find one mite and call it mange when it may just be concrete burns. All dogs have mites, even humans have those mites. one or even five on a slide isn't mange infestation. when you see more like 8- a few dozen it is time to take action. But just one or two isn't any thing to call mange.

20. Ill make sure to post the pics up.