1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Can a male leave with a female and be low conflict?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 40lbRed, Jul 13, 2009.

1. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Can a male live with a female and be low conflict?

I have one female pitbull currently and have been thinking about a second dog that has papers (male.) But I don't want a constant battle when they are together. I know people who have one male and one female who live in harmony, but i don't know the caliber of his dogs. I would not want to try to mix two females or two (especially) males, but how does a one male with one female usually work?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  2. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Don't even take the chance.. Just keep them seperated even if you are around to supervise..

3. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

It can work out fine but always be prepared for the worst case scenario, if they don't get along, are you up for the extra work of keeping them separated at all times/crate and rotate? And at the very least separating them when you are gone if they do get along.

If you get an older dog, if he's DA already, you can be sure you're going to have problems.(Duh) How does your female act now? How old is she?

4. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

My female now is 3. She has never had issues with males. She doesn't try to start fights with females, but won't take sh!t from other bulldogs. If I got a male it most likely be a pup as I want to raise it with her. No matter what, both dogs would be contained when I'm not there. My female has always been kenneled and crated.

5. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

Has your female ever been exposed to puppies? I've seen some of the most DA dogs be completely neutral with pups but I've seen some be the complete opposite.

Overall I think if you're ready to accept the risk and are willing to care for both dogs separately should the male mature and become DA, then you're fine. I'd be of the thinking that 'it would be a nice surprise if he didn't turn on but I'm expecting him to'.

6. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

My dog is fine around pups, but like you said I've seen the opposite. Almost all pit bulls are DA, it's just that most i know are managable with the opposite sex and i didn't know if that common or not.

7. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Dogs are individuals, but generally it's assumed that opposite-sex pairs are most compatible. However, just be prepared for the possibility that the two of them might just not click right away, or at all (Or they may click up until one little thing sets them off).

How you introduce them has a lot to do with it as well.

8. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

That is a good answer. we have a male (neutered) 6 years old who lives with a unaltered female who is 5 years old. We do kennel the female when we leave most of the time. He is afraid of her. She brings new meaning to the word Bitch. If he wasn't scared of her we would have a problem I imagine. I don't know if him being neutered helps, I have heard it doesn't matter. She has no tolerance for other females but seems to like him.

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Re: Can a male live with a female and be low conflict?

I wouldn't say it couldn't be done,depends on the dogs.But it's not worth taking a chance IMO,my dogs stay separated,male or female.

10. Rampage

Rampage Big Dog

My female was a little over a year when I got my male. So far, I have never had a problem. They play and hang out together most of the day. If no one is there to watch them then they are seperated.

11. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

Don't chance it, at all, no way no how!!!

12. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I have a multi APBT home, it has its ups and it has its downs.

The one thing I can ever suggest to anyone who is contemplating adding another dog to the mix.....DO NOT bring home a dog that you are not prepared to create a life of solitude for.

If you cannot provide a completely seperate life for all the dogs in your care then do not get another one. It is a gamble anytime you open your door to multiple APBT's, sometimes it works out and many times it does not. It is not fare to the old dog nor is it fair to the new dog if you cannot provide a safe and quality form of living for both. Many people make this mistake and they either end up with dead dogs or rehoming one of them. In either case the dog becomes a statistic beit a disaster story or just another face awaiting death row at the pound.

If you are not prepared for that kind of isolation from each other then pass on a second dog.

13. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

The most likely scenario is your female will put up with it, occasionally putting it to the pup, which is what you're going to have to watch for. Then there will be peace until the male gets some age. At that point you will have to watch when they're excited as a dog will be a dog and they WILL get into an all out fight at some point.

14. females tend to do well with other young males, until he attempts to dominate her. then their patience grows thiner and thiner. the least little thing will set them off. my females run the show around here. they are down right nasty when they get turned on. as long as the male respects them...all is fine and dandy. bottom line...never trust them not to do what they do best. never leave them alone unattended....EVER!!!

15. vena

vena Pup

never trust a pit bull not to fight. You never know when they might fire up, I wouldent take a chance.

16. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Actually, in my experience, two females are less likely to get along than two males, but it just depends on the dogs as others have said. We curr entlyhave a two male, one female household(one male is pointer mix), but even as good as they are together, it is a constant task to monitor them. They do not go outside together unless I am out in the yard with them. The female is dominant and keeps the peace; the boys do not challenge her, but if a stray dog were to walk up to the other side of the fence(as they often do because owners are idiots), they can easily get worked up and "forget" for a moment. Always be prepared for the worst to happen - even two dogs who get along will probably have to be separated at least once in their lifetime.
    The other thing is, as ColbyDogs was alluding to, is that often if they do eventually have a skirmish, they may never get along again. Some can have a scuffle and 5 minutes later be OK with each other and everything is cool; others will fire up as soon as they see that dog again and never be able to interact with it.

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

it can be done. in my experience its easier to find a male that loves the ladies that vise versa. but yes ya have to be on your toes

18. preme

preme CH Dog

i dont play that game no more :eek:

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i have two females and i had alot of conflicts with them but they are okay now. they still fight from time to time but thats just part of it. i just dont leave the alone together. most of he time they are ok now. i have grown up with pits though, not sure how much experience you do or dont have. good luck

20. Mike C.

Mike C. Big Dog

I wouldnt even try it, I was always told if you want dogs to run around and play together get labs ;). Ofcoarse theres always exceptions i just dont chance it.