1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

building shoulders and chest

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by c.knight, Jan 4, 2005.

1. should i attach the heavy chains to his collar or should i attach it to a weight pulling harness? i bought a weighted collar for 10 bucks...is it for his chest and shoulders? my friend said its for the pit bull's chest and shoulders...how about the heavy chain tethering (tie-out)? what's that for?

2. The best thing you can do for your dog is to build wind and indurance she already strong , run your dog then do a little weight pulling twice a week building up weight slowly and you ll be surprised how she improves

3. i wouldnt put my dog on a heavy chain permanantly, and i wouldnt put weight on a collar either , id rather use a weighted vest that you can add weight to or take away. just some advice hope it helps you .

4. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

I know this is not all about weighted collars but from one of the other threads in here I know that a number of folks in here are into combative sports. I am not sujesting that weighted collars are good for the dogs but as a person who fights and trains for the love of the activity I work my neck with weights. I do not have to run miles with these weights on me but I use 50+ lbs to work the back of my neck for reps, so it seems to me that a strong dog would be able to do the same (if work up properly). Is it good for the dog I still do not know but I know a strong neck has saved my butt from touching the ground more than once, and if there (on the ground) helped stave off injury when useing my head for mobility or resistance. The neck being the weakest part of the spine should be strenghtened, by weights or other methods I do not know.

5. MR PITS

MR PITS Big Dog

Where can you buy a weighted harness and a weighted colar from. I think i would like this best because my pit and I go on long walks.

6. robert

robert Big Dog

I suggest you don't put too much weight on you dog. A century ago people used dogs to carry things around on their backs but it never went above 1/3 of total body weight. You shouldn't let your dog go down the stairs with the weighted harness on, it is hurting it's joints and ligaments.