1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Brindles Prone To Being Heavy?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Kristin, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

I was just reading something about brindle mice being genetically prone to being heavier than any other colored/marked mice. Does anyone know if this is true in dogs? My brindle Pit mix puts on weigh real easy if you let him, does anyone else notice this in brindles?

2. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

It's most likely that the mice are inbred on brindle individuals that happened to be heavier and it's just another trait present in that line. It seems highly unlikely that there is a direct genetic correlation between brindle and weight in all brindles regardless of species.

3. Sounds like a complete load of BS to me.

4. spliff

spliff Big Dog

not really no.like everything else color means nothing.weight gain has more to do with genetics,diet,energy level and how much exercise the dog gets.also if the dog is fix they tend to put weight on easier.

5. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

Hmm. I figured there could be some truth in it since some colors do genetically mess with dogs health, like double Merle Australian Shepherds being deaf/blind, blue bullies being prone to certain skin problems, etc.

6. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

my dog is brindle and he stays pretty fit even on those weeks i dont get to exercise him as much as i would like

7. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

I did hear italian men make better lovers! its genetic LOL!!!

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

That's goes for Italian woman as well:D;)

9. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

yes maam!!!!!!

10. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

lmao last two replies are true. ;)

11. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

I've been trying to find like the scientific reason why brindle mice are prone to obesity, but all I can find is breeders/fanciers saying because of the color it is closely linked with the obesity gene. And I found that yellow mice, too, are prone to obesity. I guess it isn't the same with dogs. I figured it might be since a lot of animal breeders start off with mice to learn about genetics since it's easier to house/keep lots of mice and litters and also to cull and sell them.

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Not really sure Kristin I have only owned one brindle she is full grown now and is around 50lbs. She is off TNT lines has some staffy blood mixed in but she has always been fit and in good shape.

13. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

Okay, thanks for the replies. I did have doubts in this theory because every brindle I've seen on here has been pretty fit.

14. BlaznJon

BlaznJon Pup

I think it`s more individual genetics and how active the dog is.body shape can make some dogs look over weight.Like a barrel chested dog looks heaver then a v chested one.Zena is the second brindle i have owned and is fixed.Both dogs seem the opposite of what the mice study said.

Here`s Zena at 3 years and 52lbs.pics are about two months old

Attached Files:

15. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

merle/deafness, blue/skin problems, those are correlation not causation- meaning those traits are seen together, but neither actually causes the other. you dig?

16. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

Ohh, I get ya. Genetics has never really been my thing. lol

17. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

Your dogs are very nice looking! Deff not fat at all. lol

18. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Damn right!! We are the best!!:D

19. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

The italian lover thing is soooooooooo true.;)LMAO

20. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Girly! Your from my neck of the woods. I am living in Georgia now but grew up in CT Brookfield/Danbury!:D