1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Tartanvandal, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Tartanvandal

Tartanvandal Guest

Id like to ask the members what they look for in a dog/bitch b4r they decide to go ahead an breed, what are u hoping to acheive /gain by breeding, and at what age do u deem " old enough" to breed, do the animals u select have to posses certain attributes to advance what u already have or does financial gain play the biggest part in ur decision, obviously as its illegal to test for gameness we,ll assume thats a given, look forward to ur replies guys. YIS:)

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Breed for the standard of the breed. If you are breeding for financial gains you are breeding for the wrong reason and hurting the breed.

3. Tartanvandal

Tartanvandal Guest

But when u breed purly to a rigid standard at the expense of everything else surly ur on a slippery slope dreampits ?

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

The standard of any working breed is based around performance, not appearance

5. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

Breed for function on the standard not form is what Dream is saying..

6. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

If anyone breeds for money they aint in the game for the right reason and will more than likely end up producing shit dogs!!!

7. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

i couldnt agree more with you on that one .

8. darlo

darlo Banned

i only breed to keep a few for myself, looking for all characteriscs from the past ive had the same line for 25 years
    have sold pups in the past but its more chew than its worth

9. kgip2

kgip2 Pup

Breed only to better the breed and better your yard

10. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

If you gotta breed, breed the dogs that can hunt, hunt the best, and that have the right tools to hunt. Every full hearted hunter might ought not to be bred to, and not all TIP TOP hunters ought to be either....

11. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

darlo i see where you are comeing from as i have had staffs for more that 20 years now as its my prefered choice of dog i have breed in the past but it was long time ago i have taken in unwanted dogs but always wanted to start my own line which i know will take years but in starting my own line with my boy who has an intrest in the dogs also i would then be leaveing it to him in years to come & in doing so would have my own prefered choice of dog & know what id get in years to come with the breeding .

12. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

best to best=better.i only breed for myself only.

13. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

a standard for me is just a man's opinion, i can have my own too and nobody will tell me how, when or what color, size or weight i should breed my dogs. breed balanced dogs mentally and physically, breed your best or look elsewhere for best to breed to your best. despite the box test being illegal nowadays, i still breed for the qualities bull and terrier dogs were bred for, if you cant cope with this idea one should look for a non bull & terrier breed of dog. a lot of dumbasses still cant assimilate bull and terrier breeds aren't show-lap dogs

14. Tartanvandal

Tartanvandal Guest

A very good post....imo

15. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Couldn't agree more right on target with that 1

16. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

well said...if ur breedn for the money ur gnna lose money.it takes money to take gud care of these dogs.these dogs r not cheap to have.

17. 1 deep game dog is equal to a yard full of crap but folks need a yard full of crap to realize that 1 deep game dog, lol! match,breed then cull. If you cant cull your stock dont breed.

18. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

ill take it that you have an idea any way........and as this is the sbt section ill give my tup pence worth........breed to the standard you have the greatest personal understanding of.....the 35 standard gave a large margine for error......the 43 standard was about establishiing the cradley dog..................the short backed hard mouth stifle throat and chest dog!!!!!!!the original standartd allowed for all types including the walsall type most seen in the apbt..im sure you do not need an explanaistion of this type!!.???

19. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

as for the age to breed to, this is up to you,......i DO NOT believe in waiting till 5 years of age for a dog to turn on.......load off old cur dog bull shit!!!.....................5 years your dog will be in his or hers peak.......FACT!!!!!...................do not expect the first breeding to be the same as the second breeding!!!!

20. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

as for what your looking for ....come on son, you know your self the answer..............better than what you have seen!!!!!!!!!!!