1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding License

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JoeFeezy, May 30, 2007.

1. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

I believe it is way too easy to obtain an APBT that has (more than likely) poorly bred. As long as this trend continues i believe no matter how hard we fight our breed is going to be doomed. I believe that if we lobbied to make people having to be trained and licensed to breed (all dogs not just APBT's) that many of America's dog problems could be greatly reduced. I mean just like with drugs things would slip through, but i would like to hear some opinions on this.

2. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I used to think the same thing.But,licenses come from the government.And the last thing we need is the government having complete say so over our dogs and what we do with them.Also ,think of all the B.S. regulations that one would have to follow in order to obtain such a license.I think it really sounds good in theory,but,in reality would just end up another way for the government to control us and make an obscene amount of money in the process.

3. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

Wow only one response to kill that whole theory.

4. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

I completely agree with you. Mass breeding shouldn't be allowed (petshops), and breeders should be licensed. The hard thing would be the enforcement as that costs money, and we know our government doesn't like to spend it where it's needed for humans never mind animals.

Also, as much as I believe that responsible people can keep unaltered animals without breeding or having oops litters the enforcement of such laws would make it mandatory for unqualified dogs to be altered. I alter mine so it doesn't bother me, but just remember this is something that would have to be enforced for such liscensings to work.

5. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

In my city you do have to have a license to breed.All you have to do is pay the county so much money per year,and presto!You are a licensed breeder.

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

We've got laws like that here, but they're generally unenforced. You can still find people selling pups through flyers, nickle newspapers and out on the street corners. And the geniuses in charge frequently don't even know the ordinance exists.

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Yeah,ours are for the most part unenforced.You can still buy pups outside the wal-mart for fifty bucks.The only time they're enforced is if someone complains or the city needs an excuse to confinscate some pits,rotts,or any of those other breeds that are known to kill without reason.;)

8. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

What you've just stated, Joe, is a form of BSL. No thanks.

9. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

No i don't want the breeds seperated. I think that all breeds deserve this. But i have already been shown that this won't work by a few people.

10. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

Not BSL if ALL dogs are included.

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

In my mind, the best way to put puppy milles, bybs, & peddlers out of business is to quit buying dogs from them! If they were unable to peddle their goods to people, then eventually they would move on to a bigger & better money making scheme. The problem is people still buy from them, still want to buy from them, & will always continue to buy from them. The ignorant buy from these types, the uneducated buy from these types, & the bleeding heart gotta-save-them-all rescue types buy from them.

The problem with licenses is who is to say who can breed & who cannot? What registries will the government decide are the "proper" ones? & will it be that only those who have dogs registered with that registry can obtain a breeding license?

And let's not forget that the majority of those puppy mills out there ARE licenses by the government & must be some sorry agriculture demands to stay in business. They provide our pet shops & similar stores with endless amounts of dogs. Yet the government has given those unscrupulous scumbags the A-OK. So how would that change if there was a nationwide licensing program for breeders?

12. dogged

dogged Big Dog

I've personally seen one REALLY crappy puppy mill pass not only Dept of Ag. inspection but AKC inspection as well.

IMHO, the best way to stop BYBs and for-profit breeders is to stop lining their pockets. Once the BYBs get rich quick scheme starts costing them money, they're going to drop it like a hot potato. We must be proactive in educating new buyers.

13. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Owning dogs should not be a "privilege" given by any govern bodies besides the ones actively involved in caring for said breed. Owners and fanciers need to police ourselves, we are not being shown capable of doing such, why would an outside source be any better?

Don't support puppy mills, plan to keep what you breed, only breed the best specimins to better the breed, and if you must place dogs, don't put them in a position where they will tarnish not only the breed, but your name.

Only suggestions, this is the best we can do right now. Laws based on improving a moral code, do not work. No matter what you do, you cannot expect scum to have the same morals as you see necessary. They have their "right" to own whatever dogs they see fit, until they prove they cannot due so, until then, we have the "right" to not support these horrible examples, and continue to perpetuate the positive aspects of the breed by not giving/selling dogs to peddlers and by education whenever possible.

14. dogged

dogged Big Dog

Great post.

15. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

i don't ever want the goverment telling me what i can or can not do with my animals.they all ready have to much power as it is and this is just one more freedom for them to take away and there ain't much left for them to take.we all seen what happens when they stick their noses into your property via the dog fighting law,game chickens and now the hog dog rodeos.enough is enough and i think anyone in favor of laws like this should be shot because they are worthless to this country and the american people.

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

The only reason politicians would vote for something like this in the first place is either for the money from the liscences or to get votes by showing that they are "concerned and doing something about the problems". If you really want to help with the dog problem in America, either support kill shelters,or gather up all the unwanted animals, ship them to China and sell them for meat!

This whole "It is an in-humane act to kill the dogs" thing has got to go. The more we, as a nation, try and inact humane ways of doing things, the worse people and things get. Back when folks were hung in the town square for stealing a horse, not too many folks thought of stealing horses. There is a way that looks good in theory, but in reality, it doesnt work. It was written a long time age,"there is a way that seems right unto a man, but the path thereof leadeth to destruction." Look around. Do we really need more laws? Look at prohibition, look at the war on drugs. There is a book written that says," the power of lawlessness is in the law." Look at a small child. They may have not been thinking of that cookie jar, but when you say, "now Jr., you stay out of that cookie jar" he is now bent on getting him a cookie out of the jar. Look at what the dog fighting laws have done to this breed. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see this.

I support no involvement in Government of any form having their hands in my property. They are already there far to much, and I am ashamed and offended by anyone suggesting for them to put their hands their.

17. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

my feelings exactly!! Us and many generations before us have already yielded too much authority over us to big brother. It has gotten so far out of hand that they are now coming for our dogs! Who ever would have thought it'd come to this?

18. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Agree...I feel the govt. is way too obtrusive as right now, and definately don't want to give them anymore power, and definately don't want to give them access to my property or my life. I already feel they are an unwanted visitor in my life.