1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding for Performance over looks

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Bull and Terrier, Jul 21, 2010.

1. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

yea i know i dont think they cull tho or do they.......???lol??

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

hell yea, all quality working dog breeders inbreed & cull

not just bulldog folks

3. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

thats a new one for me i thought we where the only ones culling..

4. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Hell even show dog breeders cull. Don't you know that if a dalmations spots aren't just right or a ridgeback is ridgeless its put down or sent to a pet home? :rolleyes:

5. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

no i really dont know about other breeds...

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

aint dalmations pets anyways? lol

7. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

thats what im saying i never see one in any kind of sport...

8. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Yes. But these showdog breeders have somehow come to the crazy conclusion that conformation showing is a sport Lmao. What a joke. A dog is either show/breeding quality or its pet quality to them. Working ability isn't a factor.

Anyhoo, point being, just about all dog breeders cull ...unless they're peddlers... even if its not because of ability but looks. It ain't just bulldogs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  9. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

if you want to see dogs bred for looks over performance have you been to an adba show lately???
    the last show I went to I could count the real game bred bulldogs on one hand. the 'showbred' dogs all looked like crossbred whippets, light bones, high tails that often curve over the back, narrow weak heads, shallow chests, splayed feet, weak rearends, etc..I could go on and on....not to mention the traits lacking in the heart and soul, the sad part is these were the dogs in the champion class!!!!

10. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

yeah, its always been easy to tell the difference. These dogs bred from specific conformation lines do not resemble bulldogs. Now people can post their pics and get huffy about it, l o l

11. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

You know that's not true but anyway...

Why even attend the event?

Why not go out to some field, warehouse or barn and watch (or participate) in working events? Or even weight pull?

Seems kinda silly to me

12. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Pup

I see what you mean about the curved tail, shallow chest, splayed feet, and week rearends at adba shows, this is my crossbred whippet
    186.jpg

13. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

[​IMG]

My thin boned, splayed footed, week chested ADBA G/C I Bitch

14. benthere

I don't even own bulldogs anymore. the days of 'working events' is over, for me at least.
    I find it sad to see the breed I loved evolve into another showdog like the UKC pitbull and Amstaff.
    most of the current adba showdogs are but a caricature of a real bulldog, a different take on an amstaff. instead of a grossly overweight heavy dog barely resembling an apbt the adba is going the other way, the winning champions are usually narrow, light boned whippet looking dogs that wouldn't stand a chance at a 'working event'.
    many years ago I had what iron mike would call a dual champion, today I doubt that dog would get a ribbon in a 4 dog class.

15. benthere

nice looking dogs, you guys are the exception. I especially like your dog jayhawk.

16. benthere

mike, you got robbed in my opinion. you by far had the best looking champion at the show.

17. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Horses,dogs, shit if i aint mistaken even people who breed animals for ppl food cull the ones they dont want to put in the markets...

18. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

Thanks Ben.... my dog didnt place in that CH class all weekend though she has won more than any other female this year and is the highest ranked female CH so far for 2010.... She lost to 2 males that we own dogs off of and a female who is the littermate of a dog we own... so... I take offense at your remarks...

We own a variety of bloodlines but Bolio runs thru most and they handle each task thrown at them... One or two have off days sometimes but most will work their hearts out for us on any given day... Got two pulling this weekend (one ADBA 18 month old Champion) for his first time.... and right now as I sit in the nice AC, my partner/finance is out drag weight pulling her lil female pull dog..

Got mortgage, bills and a great life right now... was behind bars for almost seven years during the 90's... no need to revisit the lovely MD Dept of Corrections ever again... in another life I might have been all up in that shit... just don't have a need for it.... those cells are the size of my bathroom....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  19. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Pup

Thanks he's just 15months and still a work in progress but I am pleased so far