1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

breeding / culling

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bdub, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdub

bdub Top Dog

this is more of a hypothetical question,ive never bred before and have no plans anytime soon ,but ,say i have a dog that is worth hooking to a bitch that is worth hooking him to,and i get a decent sized litter,but only want one pup out of it and a home for one more,so i want to keep two out of the litter,what should i expect out of the bitch,with all but 2 of her litter gone,how would a bitch respond to that,and would her milk be an issue?with only two pups,would she have too much milk?would it go bad an poison the2 pups?

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

no not a problem at all.it will stay good as long as the mother is alive.

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

You should ween all the pups at the same time. What does this have to do with culling?

4. bdub

bdub Top Dog

i dunno,but if a breeding ever happens,im going to cull all but two of a litter,which is why i have the questions about the bitch,but i figured i could just rip the litter off the bitch except for the one or two that i would keep after a week after they were born,sure i wouldnt really now if the pup would turn out good,but i dont have the space for a whole litter to stay on for 2 years,and its a chance i will be willing to take

5. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

Hopefully your bitch will miscarry and the pups will never have to deal with the likes of YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

6. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

well if you wean or get rid of the ones you think you dont want, you may be gettin rid of the wrong ones, better dogs in my opinion start later (3yrs) young pups that bark and lunge around are currs in my opinion because they are insecure and feel they have somethin to prove, ask anyone that has a good (trained)confident dog,they are the opposite

7. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

theres no sure way to know whats gonna be a cur or not...just cuz a dog turns on early has nothing to do with whether or not its a cur...sure some may cur out but some my be so aggressive because there so confident...if your talking about cur snapping at a young age thats different then a truely turned on dog...a dog thats really on doesnt cur snap and lunge he grabs hold nd acts like an adult..

8. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

Can't tell if a pup is going to be good no matter how it acts as a pup.

If those are your plans for breeding please wait til you do have enough space to keep at least half the litter.

9. bdub

bdub Top Dog

that's something for me to think about,ive got a long time to go before i can find out if it will ever happen,i was just thinking,its a crap shoot even with a whole litter.never know the whole litter could be curr's.and maybe id be lucky with either 1 or 2

10. bdub

bdub Top Dog

well i do have a good amount of time before i can even find out if i will do it. i would like to be prepared if it ever does happen. maybe by then i will have more space or farm out,,i know i have one or two people to farm two if it ever happens,but i live in a subdivision on 1 acre

11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

You should never breed a dog.:mad:

12. BSK

BSK Pup

couldnt agree more

13. act284

act284 Big Dog

are you talking about just randomly killing all but 2 pups? because you cant feed them and dont want to find homes for them? sounds sketchy and definitely amateur...and that means a lot coming from me with no breeding experience...

or i could be reading the post wrong

14. Cincere

Cincere Pup

Keep as many as you can because there is no telling how many may turn out. You may keep 2 but they may both be curs. I usually let half the litter go to good dogmen and at decent price. This way the dogs have a chance and i recoup some of my $$ on feed and vet bills.

15. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

idt you could tell a cur from a ace so how they turn out shouldn't matter. this is the most ignorant post i ever read on any fourm.

16. bdub

bdub Top Dog

well of course it sounds amature,ive never bred a fucking dog,just wanted some fucking info on how i would go about doing it,

17. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

The smart thing to do would be to place the ones you can't keep with people close by so you can get an idea of how the whole litter turns out. And I don't think you can tell a cur in a litter of pups just because they act a certain way at a young age. It could be that they're just that rough and agressive.

18. Blau

Blau Big Dog

If you've never bred a dog, please read some books on breeding ethics first. You don't just keep two random pups from a litter and hope they turn out. Were the parents tested and proven? If they were, yes, you'd have a better chance at having pups that turn out, but if they weren't, and all you're scared about is having a litter of curs, there is no point in breeding. Unless the parents were proven, and even then, you CAN'T know until they're older.

As for ethics, and just smart breeding in general, if you're going to breed a dog, you need to make sure you have homes lined up... And if you don't plan on selling/giving any of the pups in the first place, why breed at all, if you're just going to cull the majority of the litter? Now that's just cruel. A mistaken breeding, I can understand, or even a family emergency, but wanting to cull pups JUST BECAUSE is stupid.

19. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Good post Blau! I couldn't beleive he said that. So, he was just gonna take like 3 or 4 pups and what, just toss them in the trash? That is some retarded shit right there.

20. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

hope you learned

do what you want but shut the phack up

hint question to all folks
    what do "other" people think about culling nice dogs that refuse to fight (or quit)?

its no better

ps: i didnt said i agree with killing pups

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.