1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Breed Specific Legislation Killed Our Dog"

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

“Breed Specific Legislation Killed Our Dog”

Mansfield,England,UK -- Family Grieve Pet Dogs Death

A Merseyside couple are calling for the government, organisations and individuals to demand a complete removal of Breed Specific Legislation after making the tragic decision to have their pet dog Missey put to sleep. Missey’s owners contacted Merseyside police early last year after being made aware that siblings of their dog had been seized as possible pit bull types

They fought for almost three months, with Missey held in secret kennels, before a court of law decided their friendly pet dog posed no danger to the public and allowed her to be entered onto the Index of Exempted Dogs.

However it soon became clear on her return, that Missey was suffering extreme separation anxiety and despite help from their vet and a behaviourist, Missey’s became more unhappy and on Sunday 17th February, owners Mark and Donna, decided to let her go.

Donna says, “ Missey was a fantastic dog and we loved her dearly. Letting her go was the hardest thing we have ever done but we couldn’t watch her suffer any more. We looked at the possibility of changing keepership however we didn’t think that would help her. She became distressed if she even thought we were leaving the house. It ruled her life.

Being seized and taken away from us killed her; she was terrified she would lose us again. Missey wasn’t dangerous, but she had lost her spark when she came home. She had lost the essence that made her our fun, loving pet dog. The only time she ever showed happiness was for a split second when you put her lead on for a walk. Then the muzzle went on and Missey vanished again. The rest of her time she worried in case we ever left her”

Mark and Donna firmly believe the law does not protect the public and are begging for a change to BSL.

Mark says “ We are expecting our first child soon. Missey would have loved him or her; she had a great love for children. We were good owners who taught Missey well. We have all been punished because of how she looks and Missey paid the biggest price of all. BSL doesn’t protect anyone; we need a law that does. We are hoping Missey will have not gone in vain, if she gets some people thinking about change its good. I beg those with a voice to help us reach a stage were BSL is a distant bad memory ”.

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/355/breed-specific-legislation-killed-our-dog/

2. beemerchef

beemerchef Top Dog

Re: “Breed Specific Legislation Killed Our Dog”

With all due respect "I also" am not quite understanding the "had to let go"???
    When I got Spirit 3 years +/- ago, the shelter did not want to even give him to me... we had to sneak him out!... You should have seen him then... I am sure much worse off, physically also... The object was not to let him go!!!... I don't know, maybe I am missing something... Are they also going to let go of their child if such child is traumatized in school someday and gets home depressed?
    Sad... maybe there is something else that we don't know...
    Be well... Ara & Spirit