1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breed-Specific Dog Ban Passed

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Marty, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

[size=-1]Jackson,MS -- [/size]Some dog owners in Clinton are on notice that their pets would no longer be legal within the city limits.

Clinton city leaders have passed an ordinance banning certain breeds of vicious dogs, after complaints and concerns about pit-bull attacks.

Clinton is targeting two specific breeds: any dog commonly referred to as a 'pit bull' or a 'rottweiler' is now banned from being kept in the city limits.

The Community Animal Rescue and Adoption center has been swamped with calls from pit-bull and rottweiler owners looking for new homes for their pets.

"We've got a lot of phone calls from a lot of the public," says CARA manager Janet Madden. "They're irate. They don't know what to do (with) their family pet they had for years. They woke up one morning, opened up the paper, and there it is -- they need to move or get rid of their beloved pet."

Any vicious dog found at large would also count as a violation of the ordinance.

For many Clinton residents, the word vicious doesn't necessarily describe a certain breed, which is why some have problems with this new law.

"These cases we have where we do have dog bites and animial attacks," says Ben Duncan of Clinton. "it's people who own them who aren't responsible enough owners with these dogs."

Pit-bull and rotweiller owners in Clinton have four weeks to find new homes for their pets. Many animal shelters say they're full, and can't offer temporary assistance.

"You can't buy a house in thirty days in most places," says Madden. "It is very disruptive, and to lump a breed and say they're all that way, that's not true."

Many owners of the now-banned dogs say they don't know what to do. They don't want to give up their pets, and they don't want to move.

The cities of Brandon and Richland have also recently passed ordinances banning pit bulls.

The city of Jackson has an ordinance banning visious dogs, but it is not breed-specific.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5191036&nav=2CSf

2. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

damit, this is out of control..... this is not good... i hope the ADOA gets involved.. they are the ones that are helping to fight bsl... www.adoa.org

3. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

They sure are...I just got wind off AP wire they are suing in Englewood, NJ! :)

4. You know this getting really scary! :( I mean what would anybody do...only a 4 week notice? I just keep thinking when are we next? I dont like to think about it, but know it most likely won't be too long before it is here......:confused:

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Awww, Shit! At least in my city they grandfathered in the current dogs... that's BS! Why can't they at least grandfather these current animals in? That's terrible... where's the humongus, non-profit, terrorist, anti-BSL org.? We should all form one and call it PITA... Protecting Innocent Town Animals!

6. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Yes, I agree Riptora. It is illegal seizure of property, but it takes lots of money to go to court and fight this crap.
    Meanwhile I do what I can to fight potential bsl ordinances... Suki has a link to a yahoo group that fights bsl and keeps track of potential bsl locations.
    I can only work on this on the weekends as I work 4 ten hour days.
    Dang! those poor people! Don't be asleep at the switch in your town!
    Also don't be discouraged! Help fight it when you get links about it here and I am sure the game-dog members will back you up if it potentially happens in your area.
    I do love this forum...I can't just concentrate on the bsl stuff all the time. I love to see the pics and vids of everyone's dogs and hear their stories...I need positive feedback too and positive stories, but you are right Riptora, we need to organize...nationally, or help effective organizations that are already organized.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  7. Attila

Attila Guest

Time to lock and load Marty. We may have to just use the F250 and mount the 50 in the bed.

8. Marty

Marty Guest

Lock and loaded, I'm game ;)

9. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I go on my county commisioners site every week to be sure no BSL is up for consideration. I also spend a lot of time telling oblivious pit bull/mix/bully type owners to start educating themselves- we might just need them in the future to lend their voice.

10. Suki

Suki Guest

yeah, I was sooooooo pissed when I read this last night!:mad: How freakin sad for those people......:(

a grandfather woulda been nice.....
    {{{{{{{Prayers}}}}}}} to all those poor folks.....:(

11. Attila

Attila Guest

A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go, hi ho the dairy oh a hunting we will gooooo. What kinda beer do you drink don't want to get dehydrated. I will grab a few mason jars out of the shed of that clear stuff. It cures all that ails ya. Sniffles, goneria, siffles and makes clild birth a breeze. Why it will make people look better too. It has been getting ugly people dates for many a year.[​IMG]