1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

breaking sticks.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by deadgame94, Feb 13, 2011.

1. curious as to what some of you guys use other than an actual "breaking stick. something round the house you dont have to buy online or anything.

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Oak hamer handle shaped to a wedge at the small end. Just saw the metal head off. Then belt sand the hammer handle to the right shape. Or a palm sander. Way faster. Make fure al lacquer is sanded off tho.

3. Sounds good thanks

4. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

always a hammer handle, as buck said...

I drill a hole in the end and thread some cord or leather through it so it's easier to pull out my pocket in sticky situations...and so I can hang it up as if my dog see's it he'll chew it to pieces :D

5. yarrakin

yarrakin Pup

get yourself some deers antler and saw off the piece you need drill a hole for the cord works well

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

id sooner waste a hammer handle vs one of my deer racks :D

7. jacko

jacko CH Dog

correct me if i am wrong ,but the hammer handles[shafts] that i use at work are hickory..

8. D Game Butcher

D Game Butcher Big Dog

The hands down best material to use is some old White cutting board, what you use to cut meat on so you don't cut your counter, get a saw and cut off a wedge it's the best. It's strong but it give so it won't break the dogs teeth.

9. yarrakin

yarrakin Pup

[​IMG]
    curstoppers stick, last forever ;)

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

If yah fot a hickory handle use it then? Oaks stronger.. But to each his own.:rolleyes:

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

if all you can find is hickory it works fine. looking around at the local hardware store thats all they have. i like D Games idea. gonna have to try that

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Forgot about the cutting board ones...the plastic one i made were out of 1/2'' plastic , 2'' x 1' long. Sanded to shape with a hand grip. Cutting boards are pretty much the same material. And you can make a few of them out of one board. Good post. And the string like : said.it will get slippry when wet to.

That deer antler looks sweet. :cool:

13. both work very well......but with the antler, you have to becarefull of their teeth. i'ts more of a gag reflex thing.

14. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

I made 3 from a sledge hammer handle & 3 from a pick axe handle, the sledge hammer handle is much harder, I've no idea what type of wood they are

[​IMG]

15. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

when i make some sticks this i'll send you 1 for free.

16. old goat

old goat CH Dog

your local lumber company will have replacement handles for hammers .

17. deegeecee

deegeecee Pup

Any serious pitbull owner should have several parting sticks located at various locations around the yard/property and one (goodlooking would be nice) that you can carry on your person. If you keep this breed, accidents WILL happen soomer or later. However, bear in mind that if, God forbid, the HSUS a$$holes come onto your place, these sticks will be used as evidence that you're a dogfighter. You might want to give some thought as how to make a useful tool that doesn't definitely look like a breaking stick.

18. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

my 6 wooden knives for my escrima training LOL;)

19. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Not bad I had a guy make me 7 from hickory 12yrs ago they were a little narrower.But I like your grips better!

20. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

is there any chance you can get your hands on another deer antler parting stick?