1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

brazilian jiu jitsu

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by masta of game, Apr 22, 2009.

1. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Depends on how good the blue belt is. There are some world class blue belts out there that would probably be a brown belt at most commercial gyms. You can learn alot from certain blue belts. Loyld Irving for example really has some great blue belts. I'm a purple belt and I teach BJJ and MMA for a living.

2. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

doesnt fly in socal and BJJ has spead enough all over the states that blue belts arent teaching anymore. I dont agree, even if your skill is legit at these belts, putting your time in is just as important and the Blue Belts winning the Mundials this year arent high level, they just arent. Blue Belt is beginnger and I won many prestigous tourneys as a Purple and I still wouldnt have taught classes by myself and I got my Brown after 10yrs training, old school standards. blue belts, even Lloyds Blue Belts haven no business instructing, I used to give Ryan Hall sht for doing world seminar tours when he was a Purple Belt even though he was beating black belts in no-gi. Just my opinion

3. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

I have 2 kids, 3yrs and 6yrs training BJJ now. Their classes have 3 black belts and 1 Purple 1 Brown (me) instructing each class. I wouldnt sign my kids up for Purple Belts instructing, Purple Belts are coaches, not instructors. A Black Belt should be instructing ever class, having lower belts their helping/coaching is fine but thats as far as it goes when I'm paying money for instruction for my kids. Maybe in your state, black belts are still few and you can teach MMA classes, of course youre qualified for that but gi BJJ? I think coach in the correct term, black belts are instructors, you can verify with Carlos Gracie Jr, the head of the confederation on this, its not debatable, its what it is

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
  4. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I've been training for over 10 years just in BJJ/MMA. I have been invited to come instruct MMA schools in Socal, Texas, Canada, Florida, South Carolina, and alot of other states. Ryan Hall is a stud and even when he was a purple belt he was more then qualified to instruct people. I am sure if I open a school in California, I would do just fine. I don't play the politics that the BJJ federation plays.

5. USSR

USSR Banned

Thats just ignorant IMO... If he's good enough to BEAT black belts I'd rather have him teaching me than the black belt that got his ass kicked, just sayin....

6. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

The guy who was my instructor is a pro fighter out of North Carolina with a record of 5-0 4 coming from submission. Blue, Black it doesn't matter what color belt you are. There is always someone else out there better than you. The best guys I've seen in BJJ don't have belts or wear a GI.
    By the way, remember where I'm at. I don't pay for shit!!! Everything is free...
    If you get that close to me, the only one that is going to the ground is the guy on the opposite side of my M4.

7. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

Also MinorThreat, do you know how hard it is to get a black belt over here? I've seen several MMA fighters who are blue belts in BJJ (Tommy, Albert and Derek). Tommy and Albert both fight for Team Quest out of Oregon and Derek (my instructor) has a solid foundation in BJJ. Just happens the guy who rolled with him is better. Happens to the best of us.
    On another note, WarDog, you still fighting? If so, when is your next fight and with who?

8. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

theres two sides to this... ryan hall was a terrific purple belt and yes could beat black belts... but it was all about game plan and his perfection of a select amount of techniques... his overall game was not black belt level, but that being said i wouldnt mind doing a seminar with him to learn some of his TRICKS setups and stradegies(and nogi is a whole nother game than gi)...what is ryan a brown belt now or is he a black belt either way he is a very talented individual, i seen him go once.

9. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Ryan hall is a black belt now. I have retired from mma fighting. I am concentrating on bjj tournaments and having a successful school. I most recently beat a purple belt under relson gracie who placed 3rd in the mundials. It was a submission only tournament and I beat him in :48 minutes with a side choke I call the stutzman.

10. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

Congrats on your win.

11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Thanks! That was the longest match i've ever had. I didn't know who he was until after I won. I'm glad I didn't know, I might of siked myself out, lol!:)

12. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

Been there, done that. I've had guys in Thailand spar with me and then introduce themselves. You think your a bad ass becaues your record is 4-0 until you fight with someone who has a record of 135-20. lol
    Was your matched timed? I have always thought they didn't time them.
    Oh, by the way, got a new male...check the new puppy thread I posted, going to need some more of those awesome collars and a lead from you again. Not so big this time though...lol 50" LMAO I felt like a retard after that by the way.

13. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Lol, no biggie:D Yeah they always time BJJ matches.

14. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

I wasn't sure, I was reading somewhere that a long time ago, they didn't time the matches so I wasn't sure if they still did it like this. We normally just free roll and it can go for 5 min. or 1 hr. that's all the time we have in the gym.

15. Jav

Jav Pup

Just got my Blue Belt from Gordinho and Julio Cruz

16. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

Jav, congrats on getting your blue belt.

17. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

congrats man, im sure you deserved it if you got it from gordinho... i trained with gordinhos brother gordo when i was in brazil. verry special half guard,good teacher (kinda hands off) and with very technical and talented students... especialy antonio brago neto and delson heleno... probaly two of the best jiujitsu players ive rolled with or ever seen go...and ive trained with many talented players but they were special

jav, are you from brazil or america??

18. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

my coach is a purple belt

and i think u would do just fine, i would rather have u then a black belt who never entered the ring. ur techniques were tested hard hahaha

19. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

other then that

i found this at terriermandotcom.blogspot

[​IMG]

20. JanneM

JanneM Big Dog

Hi guys.

I have an experiment going on.
    Like most of you grappling fans know there is ADCC worlds coming this year in september at Notinghamn England.
    ADCC has been revealing invited athletes and list of athlets allready confirmed for the tournament on their Facebook profile.
    Could you do me a favour?
    Go to ADCC facebookpage, press like and write to female +60 that they should invite Venla Luukkonen for the ADCC worlds.
    Thanks. =D
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/ADCC/150595014969568
    Venla is really good grappler with world class credentials (multiple european championships, second and third at the worlds etc.)