1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

brazilian jiu jitsu

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by masta of game, Apr 22, 2009.

1. irishpit

irishpit Big Dog

im training no gi bjj for about a year in sbg ireland and am gonna compete in a amateur mma tournament(no head shots etc) next month just doing it for the craic dnt have much striking or even take downs but it always just goes to the ground,after that gonna start training with a gi need to get more technical...

2. teras

teras Big Dog

since we are at it, which one do you think would be better for street??? bjj or boxing?

although bjj has a lot of ground work, i was told it's not very good for street since you avoid the floor in real situations.

can you comment on this?

3. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Yeah but when does a street fight not go to the ground?

4. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Yeah but 75-80% of the fights I have been in (street) have ended up one the ground. Boxing don't count for much then. But thats why you mix it up. you can't be one sided. thats why you do BJJ (for the ground) and like Muay Thai (for stand up). or how ever you mix it. JMO

Vic

5. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

i train, did karate as a kid.. then started bjj when i was 19 kioto/redboy bjj... then mixed it up a little bit for a few years and currantly train at AMERICAN FIGHTER in MMA... its all fun, but i hate that it has all the hype now... its kinda like wwf lol every one wants to fight now..

6. game_test

game_test Top Dog

that is called pancrase when there are no head shots. not amatuer MMA. amatuer MMA will have rules like no elbows. sometimes you wear headgear and shinguards, sometimes not but it is still MMA.

good luck.

7. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

if you are a good boxer all it takes is one shot on the button and the grappler will be lights out. However, I don't think real boxers pick fights in the streets so I think having groud game is really necessary if it is 1 v 1. If you are picking a fight with someone and his buddies are there not a good idea to go to the ground. But then again who street fights nowdays besides kids in high school? or drunken people at the bars!

8. irishpit

irishpit Big Dog

well its called the mma league,no head shots or elbows,knees kicks and punches standing and knees and punches on the ground,in a street fight id rather boxing cos u can fight multiple attackers u dont wanna be choking someone out only to get a boot in the face from someone else but one on one id take bjj but as already stated you need everything for mma these days

9. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

One good punch (or a lucky) is all it takes to end any fight.

Vic

10. cheese

cheese Top Dog

If more then one guy tries to fight me ill make it clear that i dont want to fight so i dont have any leegal problems when i pull something out my waistband.
    Like WoodyD's sig says.."speak softly, and carry a big gun"

11. I personally like boxing and submission grappling far more than I like MMA. Boxing and submission grappling in my opinion is more pure than MMA. The luck factor in MMA is very high, too high. You do have your technical MMA fighters but a lot of them are wild punchers, (see Chuck Lidell)

12. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

KO are OK but when you can choke out or break limbs that makes you dangerous. MT is the best striking you can do bone to bone not foot to bone. a shin across the face will do more damage then when they go down time to party. if anyone has a questions about MMA feel free to PM me thats how i pay my bills.

13. I respect Mauy Thai, but when It comes to throwing hands good ole fashion boxing all day.

14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

thats cool grandstand MT you can throw elbows knees hands the occasional headbutt lol. boxing is good to teaches good footwork.

15. that's true brockton, its hard to open someones head up like an elbow to the eye brow. Possibly the most brutal grappling or submission wrestling style in history is catch wrestling IMO. There submissions or hooks are devasting. They didn't believe in hour long fights, you control him and you submit/hook his ass. Good to know that my comrads have more in common than just APBT's, nothing wrong with that at all.

16. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Chuck Lidell is not a wild puncher, he is a counter puncher, porbably one of the best ones there will ever be. He is too old now and his style has been figured out but most of his fights he caught the guy while back pedaling which is amazing to do. He generated such power while moving backwards, a wild puncher is someone that punches with incorrect form and exposing their chin. Look up street fights on youtube and you will see people swinging like they are swimming, no skill, no accuracy, no proper form and no real power.

17. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

Ive been doing jiu jitsu for three years, I am a blue belt,and compete in intermediate no gi(3-5 years bjj or d1 college wrestlerswith grappling experience) , i compete pretty actively in the midwest jiu jitsu and submission grappling scene and do pretty well for myself. im probably going to start fighting this summer. Ive trained with just about every legitamate team in the midwest(milletich,gracie barra chicago,GB bloominggton/springfield,champion jiu jitsu, jeff curran,miguel torres,wiesneweski,team corral) my team has produced 1 black belt 5 brown 8purples and 12 or so bluebelts( all legit rank including pan am arnolds,and hopefuly soon orld champions) miguel torres(current wec champ) also trained for his first 5 or six year with my instructor...
    i also trained in brazil for a month where i stayed at gracie camp and trained with(the gracibarra gombat team, including rafael gordo correa, delson heleno,marcio pe de pano cruz,gustavo machado, the gracie barra in barra where the team began with by boy samoa and marcelo souza) ceasar gracie guy came down while i was there and i also got to train with jake shield and some other ceasar gracie guys (no Nick diaz though)
    but anyways jiu jitsu is my love and is what got me interested in bulldogs to begin with.

18. Chuck Lidell's form is everything but correct, it was very effective tho, but not correct. He's far from one of the greatest counter punchers of all time, and he exsposed his chin a lot. Hey it worked for him tho.

19. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

there has been one legit catch wrestler fighter ever (josh barnett) there has been and will be only on e premier ground fighting style BJJ, abu dhabi the biggest no gi grappling tournament (50,000 dollar prizes to division winners)
    any stlye grappler is allowed 20 min mathes all grappling techniques allowed..... and every single winner they have had in 10 plus tournaments has been a Gi bjj black belt. wonder why? because its the best

20. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog