1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

brazilian jiu jitsu

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by masta of game, Apr 22, 2009.

1. masta of game

masta of game Banned

does anyone here do brazilian jiu jitsu.. how long long u have been doing for , and whats your rank... whos ur fav bjj grappler.. which scool

i have been grapling for couple weeks, white belt of course, fav grappler royce gracie. i go to a gracie barra bjj school.

just mesed up my elbow this tuesday, grappling with some dude and he did the arm bar on me in practice, did abit hard though, now today my elbow feels shit... dont know if i can go on thursday and practice, maybe i will go but i will tell the guys no arm bar on my left lol

also im thinking of doing judo on friday and saturday and aikido on wednesday.. what u guys think of this mix. also planning to take my 14 years old brother with me, i wanna see him with a black belt by the age opf 27 lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  2. RedNozeChamp

RedNozeChamp Big Dog

Started boxing at about 10 yrs old i gave up at 18, tried to get back in a few yrs after and was unsuccessful too many distractions you gotta be on point mentally to work out 8 hrs a day

3. Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog Big Dog

Its something id like to learn. Damien Mia is pretty good at choking guys out.

4. forty6mantis

forty6mantis Big Dog

you know what i'm saying?!?! i heard someone say, "either you're real good at it or don't do it at all. if you're anything but excellent at fighting all you get out of it is an asswhippin'" hahahaha. but seriously, boxing and fighting sports not only take a tremendous time training technique and endurance, but also a lot of sparring. all the skill and training ain't nothing when you run into ring rust. i love boxing more than any other sport but i can't condone training at fight training speed all year round with sparring. most boxers receive concussions and permanent brain damage more through constant sparring than actual matches.

5. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

One of my uncles got me started boxing when I was real young and I was good. but moms made me stop. and then wouldn't let me start again. and 2 yrs ago i got in to MMA a lil bit. but that didn't last long bcause it got in the way of Football. and I'm about to get (try) the boxing thing again. but MMA was some prety cool shit. had a good time.... not a fan of grappling though. if I can't throw hands, knees or bows I will likely take a "L" so thats what I need to work on.

Vic

6. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

That arm bar insedent.... Did it make a popping noise a couple itmes??

That mix sounds good the Aikido seems a bit out of place JMO. I see that BJJ and Muay Thai work well. that would be my combo.

Vic

7. I've training Combat jiujitsu/Submission Wrestling for three years now... I love it. There are some good grapplers out there some that you may not have heard of, but out of the better known grapplers I would go with Jacare Souza.. He's a phenom. Marcelo Gracia is great too..But truth be told I love Imanari's style of grappling as well.

8. KADO

KADO Pup

I have been in BJJ for a couple years now (I'm Blue) also started Thia Boxin (American Muay Thai) a few years back also. Many others types also but didn't seem practical to me. Started training for MMA while I was in Cali but haven't since I moved to GA. Oh, if you are training under the Gracie Academy you are on the right track. I can't wait to move near an affiliate school. Grand Master Helio Gracie IS the Greatest.

9. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

HOw did he pull the arm bar on you? Were you on his guard? Or did he mount you and then pulled the arm bar? It kind of sucks that your elbow is messed up now because of practice. I hard good bjj guys know how to control the power so they never hurt anyone in practice.. I would be careful If i was you with the people that you train with. I have seen and heard of some horror stories during trainning. Are you doing GI or NO GI?

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

get use to it masta. your joints are not use to being put under that stress. the key to Bjj is flexibility any time you get a chance to stretch do it. get yourself a yoga dvd. forget akido that only works in movies if you can take judo do so Bjj is judo with out throws judo has sick throws.

11. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Lol your wernt doin MMA in the 33 Area were you???? thats were I was doing it. when they first put up the cage in the 33 Area gym...... Good old Camp Margarita.... miss that shity place... lol

Vic

12. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

LOL.... Steven Seagal

Vic

13. DMMK

DMMK Big Dog

If you are looking for a good bjj gym in Atl go to "Alliance" For Bjj use Jacare and for Muay Thai use Manu he is the best.....no doubt

14. masta of game

masta of game Banned

nah he had the side control than mounted, than i think he was going for collar choke , cant remember exactly i tried to resist , tried reversing the mount anyway he got my arm and applied the arm bar, and no, there was no popping noise , but he did it bit hard, he's not supposed to, its just practice.. i think its just sore and should heal in a week ..

that night though i did not stretch, i came late to the gym, so i put my gi on and straight away i started grappling with one of the guys, without worming up and stretching , and since i just started bjj, my body is just not used to it yet..

i hope after 3 months , i will be able to beat the guy who idd the arm bar on me, he is just too experienced, white belt but he should be blue belt... hes been doing it for almost a year and a half, me , not even a month yet LOL

oh and i just bought another gi because i train 3 days a week, and one gi is just not enough , cost me one hundred dollars, ouch, i have blue and black gi. i wanna start competeing in one year..... i cant wait..

fedor & bjj ... watched his fights, and he has some good bjj , speically his fight against minotauro..

15. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Fedor is the master at Sambo!Fedor only uses arm bars and kimouras and he has never been beaten. It is funny to watch minotauro throw his legs up to catch him with triangles and arms bars and he just ripped those legs off him and handed him a beating. It is hard to find good fighters that are humble and respectful like him. You should watch this video of AOKi when he puts his oponnent on a gogo-plata from the mount, that is one of the sickest sibmissions I have seen.

16. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I like watching Kendal Grove fight he uses his knees quite a bit (MT). I think he uses BJJ too. he is good up and comer JMO.

Vic

17. masta of game

masta of game Banned

i saw fedor use bjj moves like the full guard and half guard , and used mount reverse moves and arm bar reverse moves..i dont know though, maybe thats also in sambo
    minotauro is black belt in bjj and judo :eek:

18. masta of game

masta of game Banned

reason why u need a good stand up and on ground fighting techniques

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvcxqkPO6x4

19. game_test

game_test Top Dog

2 things, tap out, why let someone crank an armbar? and tell your training partners not to crank shit like that in practice. it does no good. both can tell if an armbar is tight enough to finish without really cranking it and hurting someone. we dont do that in practice to eachother. save that for a match.

i dont do BJJ, i dont like the gi and it is a little too passive for me. i do catch wrestling, specifically CSW (combat submission wrestling). more aggressive and IMO better preperation for fighting MMA.

i had my second fight on march 28th. :47 sec TKO in round 1. i have another fight on june 13th, then im going to look at getting on an amatuer card on vegas.

PS you shoud start competing right away. it is no different than going to class and rolling with a teammate, you just gain the experince in competition. you will compete against other white belts. good luck.

20. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Sambo is a combat martial art that was developed in the Russian army. They pretty much assembled it from different martials arts. You have throws (judo), take downs and mostly arm bars, kimouras, leg locks and the guards which is used for body manipulations and possitioning (BJJ), striking (boxing) kicking and kneeing (muy thai). Minotauro is one of my favorite fighters because of his attitude and personality, but fedor is on another level. Nobody in the hw division in the world in this time and age in mma can move as fast as him, strike as fast and efficiently, and submit as fast as him.